Hot Coco
  • Casita Club Member
  • 120 posts
  • Local time: 07:53 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:2006 Nissan Xterra
    Astronomy

Posted 13 May 2017 - 03:53 PM

Bex Cat Herder posted a video to YouTube, and at the end she tours a 2013 Patriot DX:

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=3jU4cyrgxdQ

#2 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,423 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 14 May 2017 - 06:59 AM

thanks, hot coco, that is my "sassie cassie" and it's featured at the end of part 2 of the 2017 quartzsite gathering. bex does a comparison of her 1985 PD and my 2013 PD to show some of the changes that casita has made over the years. i cut my double bed down to a twin and have a small round table in front so i have seating for 2, with the option to make the double bed /seating for 4 at any time. works a treat. also, we have tapped out the section of vinyl plank flooring by the step so no carpet shows since this video was done. i just love the vinyl plank flooring!

btw, both part 1 and 2 show some amazing trailers that attended. enjoy...............

Edited by clairemr1, 14 May 2017 - 07:11 AM.

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#3 Hot Coco

Hot Coco
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 120 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:2006 Nissan Xterra
    Astronomy

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:57 AM

thanks, hot coco, that is my "sassie cassie" and it's featured at the end of part 2 of the 2017 quartzsite gathering. bex does a comparison of her 1985 PD and my 2013 PD to show some of the changes that casita has made over the years. i cut my double bed down to a twin and have a small round table in front so i have seating for 2, with the option to make the double bed /seating for 4 at any time. works a treat. also, we have tapped out the section of vinyl plank flooring by the step so no carpet shows since this video was done. i just love the vinyl plank flooring!
    btw, both part 1 and 2 show some amazing trailers that attended. enjoy...............

I loved the tour of your Patriot Claire! I also like the small table you have, very nice :)
  • clairemr1 likes this

#4 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 01:53 PM

thanks, hot coco, merlin and i have sure seen a lot of this country and met some really incredible people along the way, and all because of an itty bitty trailer!

• Hot Coco likes this

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#5 Peter2072

Peter2072
  • Casita Club Member
  • 17 posts
  • Local time: 05:53 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Patriot 13 foot
  • Interests:Hiking, climbing, birding, camping on the beach
  • Trailer Name:Tickety Boo

Posted 10 September 2018 - 02:30 PM

Claire, that's very informative, you've done a great job. Can you tell me how you made the twin bed mod? Did you have to have new cushions made so you can lay the half bed across the rear while still being able to use the table? The factory cushions don't permit that.

#6 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 03:15 PM

Claire, that's very informative, you've done a great job. Can you tell me how you made the twin bed mod? Did you have to have new cushions made so you can lay the half bed across the rear while still being able to use the table? The factory cushions don't permit that.

hi, peter. i removed the casita table/rear metal leg/ middle casita cushions ( the cushions that would be the back rests when in table mode) & store them. i bought a large piece of plywood, used the table as a pattern then cut it into a twin size. i carry the other part of the plywood in my truck so i can always make the double bed up again. i bought a gently used queen sized 4 inch foam from a neighbor for $20 & cut it to fit the middle section of the twin bed where the middle casita cushions would normally fit. like the plywood, i also carry the rest in the truck for the double bed set up if needed. since bex filmed this video in 2017, i found the 4 inch foam wasn't quite plush enough for me so i cut another long section out of the foam & laid it over the entire twin bed section. 8 inches of foam is more comfortable for me.so the twin bed is now higher than the seating for 2 in the video. i store the table/leg under the bed at bedtime so nothing interferes with those midnight bathroom trips. you can also see that i've removed the bathroom door & store it as well. much more room without it.

the tv is a 13 inch supersonic that i bought on amazon for less than $150. if you decide you want a tv, be sure it can be powered by 12v as well & that it includes a dvd feature. i was able to host "movie" nights while boondocking extensively in the desert of quartzsite for 2 of my galpals. one brought her folding chair in & sat in the aisle. the tv used very little of my battery during the movies.

since this video was filmed, i relaid 2 strips of vinyl plank flooring that were cut too short & separated at the step, showing the carpet underneath. now nothing shows but the vinyl plank flooring (which i love). i've added bluebonnet decals inside, removed the casita name in the 3 locations on the exterior & plan to add exterior bluebonnet decals over the tongue & at both sides of the trailer, where the casita name used to be. i have a metal bluebonnet that sits at my front door.

i haven't made any changes to my trailer that can't be returned to factory-like condition. it's very comfortable with the very few little tweaks i've given it for merlin (my little white schnoodle at the very end of the video) & me. best of luck on your restoration. safe travels. btw if you ever cross paths with bex, consider yourself lucky. i so enjoyed camping/traveling with her for several weeks & at several locations in 2017. i loved seeing her 1985 & my 2013 PD casitas side by side. a very rare sight!

be sure to post pics of yours once you have it the way you like it.

Edited by clairemr1, 11 September 2018 - 09:07 AM.

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#7 Peter2072

Peter2072
  • Casita Club Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 01:33 PM

Thanks for that, Claire, very helpful. One more question: in the video, I see you have hardware to keep your door open. That's big, my old Patriot doesn't have one. Did yours come with that or did you add that later? Think I'll call Casita to see if they have one. It would be fun to go to one of the gatherings and line up her 85, my 92 and your 2013 PDs for a real time capsule. Thanks much for all the help.

• clairemr1 likes this

#8 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 01:46 PM

peter, not sure when casita started installing that door hardware but mine came with it. you might want to contact them if you want one. they may sell them at other rv supply places too, not sure about that.

& yes, we'll have to get the patriots together sometime! what a sight that would be. we'll include my friend tooky & jazz junky sue too. both of those gals own & love their patriots. great little trailers! enjoy yours

Edited by clairemr1, 11 September 2018 - 01:46 PM.

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#9 Peter2072

Peter2072
  • Casita Club Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 03:08 PM

Claire, Did you take up the carpet or put the vinyl plank flooring on top? Sorry for all the questions, but you've been there done that and I'm just learning. Thanks, Peter

#10 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 03:23 PM

Claire, Did you take up the carpet or put the vinyl plank flooring on top? Sorry for all the questions, but you've been there done that and I'm just learning. Thanks, Peter

ask any/all questions you have, peter, that's how i learned too, lol. as for the vinyl plank flooring, it's installed right over the carpet.  my trailer was 4 months old when i bought it, so carpet was new, no stains, no smells, etc.taking out the carpet is a REAL chore, from what i hear & i wanted to retain it for it's insulating properties as well.

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host