• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 swasson

swasson
  • Casita Club Member
  • 12 posts
  • Local time: 09:42 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:1997 Spirit Deluxe 17ft
  • Interests:Biking, Casita camping, photography, grandkids, gardening, flea marketing, surfing the internet, fishing, hunting
  • Trailer Name:Little Okie

Posted 09 April 2017 - 07:09 AM

Actually mainly just concerned about some spiders and other insects that may find their way into the casita during extended non-use. What do you use to make sure you don't have uninvited "guests" when you take your casita back on the road after being in storage?
Roger and Sharon (and Sam)

#2 oregonlavender

oregonlavender
  • Casita Club Member
  • 138 posts
  • Local time: 08:42 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:FD 2014 16'
  • Interests:Gardening
    Casita-ing

Posted 09 April 2017 - 07:25 AM

People in mud dauber areas put screens in all the vents. Spiders are spiders. I had one get into the propane orofice of the fridge. If you check you tube there are directions how to clean the fridge chimney. Also if you don't have it you should get the A to Z Guide.
  • swasson likes this
Susan and Sunshine (a rare purebred brown dog)

#3 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,205 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 09 April 2017 - 06:52 PM

I full time yet I"ve had two mice, a long row of small ants and a tiny frog in the sink (not at the same time).  I don't know how the mice got in but the mouse trap got the mice.  The ants climbed up the power cord (laying in the grass), worked their way around the rear of the Casita and came up the side of the kitchen.  Inventive little critters.  Either that or they have a terrific communication system. Comet cleanser powder discouraged them. Apparently the tiny frog descended from a tree while in thickly wooded Oregon.  Never a dull moment.

All that just goes with mother nature when you travel in the wild. ;) To answer your question, make sure all possible little entrances are closed. Mud douber screens are worth having.  So is a good fly swatter that'll work on spiders as well. They'll be there unless you limit your 'camping' to Walmart     :rofl:

Dutchman B)

Edited by Dutchman, 09 April 2017 - 06:58 PM.

• swasson and Tampa Rick like this

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#4 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 983 posts
  • Local time: 08:42 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 10 April 2017 - 06:15 AM

I no longer have to worry about ants, (or other critters,) climbing in via the shore power cord. Changed out the electrical access door for a larger one with no holes in it and installed a twist-lock power outlet, so no more "vermin highway." It's also much handier than wrestling with the power cord through that stupid little hatch opening. Now I just unplug it and coil it up. I also installed bug screens, not only on the furnace vent/exhaust holes, but also on the HWH vent and the upper and lower fridge vent covers. Since all my windows are screened, the only way they can get in is to knock first and wait till I open the door. :lol2: :rofl2:    

New Electrical Hatch1.JPG New Electrical Hatch2.JPG New Electrical Hatch3.JPG

Edited by Euphoria, 10 April 2017 - 07:45 AM.

• Chris C and swasson like this

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Super Dooper Deluxe

2016 Chevy Silverado, Crew Cab 5.8L V-8, 4X4

2004 Nissan Frontier, Crew Cab, V-6 2WD

Casita Club # 2754

#5 vermilye

vermilye
  • Casita Club Member
  • 386 posts
  • Local time: 11:42 PM
  • Interests:Photography, travel

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:17 AM

I no longer have to worry about ants, (or other critters,) climbing in via the shore power cord. Changed out the electrical access door for a larger one with no holes in it and installed a twist-lock power outlet, so no more "vermin highway." It's also much handier than wrestling with the power cord through that stupid little hatch opening. Now I just unplug it and coil it up. I also installed bug screens, not only on the furnace vent/exhaust holes, but also on the HWH vent and the upper and lower fridge vent covers. Since all my windows are screened, the only way they can get in is to knock first and wait till I open the door. :lol2: :rofl2:     :lol2:

attachicon.gifNew Electrical Hatch1.JPGattachicon.gifNew Electrical Hatch2.JPGattachicon.gifNew Electrical Hatch3.JPG

I have a twist lock, detachable power cord, and screens on the furnace & water heater.  I did find a wasp in the water hatch that went for a 150 mile ride between campgrounds, but most of the insects that get inside do it riding on me, or sneaking by when I go through the door.  It is surprising how many get in that way! 

Edited by vermilye, 12 April 2017 - 06:49 AM.

• swasson likes this

#6 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,205 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:00 PM

Nice Mod, Euphoria. I fully agree, it's a pain to pull that cord out or push it in. I'll put that on my list.  

Forgot  to mention one unlucky critter.  The technician at Lithia Toyota in Billings, MT, called me over and showed me a nice, big packrat nest in the engine compartment of my 4Runner.  Packrat nest in Montana, homeless packrat in Arizona. I've learned to leave the hood open and a light in or underneath the vehicle when camping in the desert.

Dutchman

• swasson likes this

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#7 Tampa Rick

Tampa Rick
  • Casita Club Member
  • 128 posts
  • Local time: 04:42 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:00

Posted 11 April 2017 - 02:32 PM

I periodically give the trailer a dose of insect/bug barrier (like Ortho Home Defense) while it sits in storage so by the time I'm traveling the stronger smell is gone, but the effects are still there. Florida is critter haven. Haven't seen too many bugs - did get awaken by a huge Palmetto bug that creeped me out. I have no idea which vent it got through, but I'm pretty paranoid about bugs anymore.......and snakes.

Edited by Tampa Rick, 11 April 2017 - 02:32 PM.

• swasson likes this

#8 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,374 posts
  • Local time: 10:42 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 12 April 2017 - 05:40 AM

I've used Diatomaceous earth sprinkled on the ground around the tires, cranky up on the hitch and where the power cord touches the ground. 

Fire ants are often very problematic in Texas. We've been using DE for years in the rabbit barn to keep the ants from climbing up into the cages. Also used it when tent camping by putting a ring of the powder around the tent as a barrier. 

DE is inexpensive and totally non-toxic

https://richsoil.com...ceous-earth.jsp

• Carol Christensen, swasson, Meadowlark and 1 other like this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#9 Chris C

Chris C
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,043 posts
  • Local time: 10:42 PM
  • Interests:Custom Furniture builder. Photography. Paragliding. Camping. Llamas. Really living life! (on and on and on and on!)

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:03 PM

I no longer have to worry about ants, (or other critters,) climbing in via the shore power cord. Changed out the electrical access door for a larger one with no holes in it and installed a twist-lock power outlet, so no more "vermin highway." It's also much handier than wrestling with the power cord through that stupid little hatch opening. Now I just unplug it and coil it up. I also installed bug screens, not only on the furnace vent/exhaust holes, but also on the HWH vent and the upper and lower fridge vent covers. Since all my windows are screened, the only way they can get in is to knock first and wait till I open the door. :lol2: :rofl2:    

attachicon.gifNew Electrical Hatch1.JPGattachicon.gifNew Electrical Hatch2.JPGattachicon.gifNew Electrical Hatch3.JPG

Been wanting to do this same modification since I bought my trailer in "08.  Just seems like money is always needed elsewhere.  I think it's a great mod and Casita should be doing it at the factory.  Makes a whole lot more sense than having the open invitation of the electrical cord "bridge" into the inner-sanctum of the trailer.

Edited by Chris C, 02 July 2017 - 01:03 PM.

Chris
2006 17' Spirit Deluxe pulled with a White 2008 Honda Ridgeline RTS.

Visit My Website

#10 StevenMaria

StevenMaria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' liberty

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:58 AM

17' Liberty, I have the wasp screens on my fridge vents but still when I put the trailer in storage for a month or so I cover the fridge went slots with clear packing tape. When I'm ready to go again it peals off pretty easily. Alabama critters are very clever and the screens don't make a perfect seal.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Storage, pests, insects