2 replies to this topic

#1 CHUCK & JEAN

CHUCK & JEAN
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 02:21 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:SPIRT DELUXE 17'TEXAS

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:33 PM

Has anyone had microwave front grill cracking from mwave moving while on the road? I have new grill to install, but how has anyone stopped mwave from moving around. I have a few ideas ,but looking for other options also .
Thanks for any help chuck Ocala Fl.

#2 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 861 posts
  • Local time: 01:21 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:54 AM

Haven't had any problem with the grill cracking, but I have pulled mine out for access before. I have no real answer as to the cracking problem, but if you pull it out to replace it, I would suggest reattaching the new grill with Riv-Nuts as opposed to re-riveting it. Yes, they cost a little more than regular pop rivets, and you do need a different installing tool (which looks similar to a pop rivet tool, but the Riv-Nuts are threaded onto it before insertion and compression. The nice thing is that you'll never have to drill out those rivets ever again because you just use standard machine screws to hold things together once they're pressed in. While I was inside the microwave enclosure, I also drilled a hole just large enough for the microwave plug to fit through behind in the rear outboard corner of the overhead cabinet and reversed the outlet so that it points upward in the cabinet above the microwave enclosure. Now I can get to, and use, the outlet if I need to. With it mounted upside down it is inaccessible without removing the microwave. Just a few ideas to think about while it's out. Incidentally, there's nothing holding the microwave down inside the cabinet except gravity.

https://www.amazon.c...s,k:rivnut tool

Microwave (2).JPG microwave outlet.JPG

• Meadowlark likes this

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Super Dooper Deluxe

2016 Chevy Silverado, Crew Cab 5.8L V-8, 4X4

2004 Nissan Frontier, Crew Cab, V-6 2WD

Casita Club # 2754

#3 Jerry4610

Jerry4610
  • Casita Club Member
  • 50 posts
  • Local time: 05:21 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:05 Spirit / 17 ft
  • Interests:Camping, Traveling, Flying, Good movies
  • Trailer Name:Creampuff
  • Casita Club Directory #:1678

Posted 31 March 2017 - 09:10 AM

Turning the outlet upward is a great idea, The last time I removed my microwave I notice the plug in the outlet

upside down with only a rubber strap holding the plug in the outlet. Sure wish I had read this before hand.

I plan to look at the Riv-nut system next time I'm at Home-depot or Lowes

Thanks for sharing your great updates