• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Jerry & Phyllis

Jerry & Phyllis
  • Casita Club Member
  • 6 posts
  • Local time: 02:47 PM

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:27 AM

Driving at night, should there be rear lights lit on the trailer?

#2 Jim&Clare

Jim&Clare
  • Casita Club Member
  • 49 posts
  • Local time: 04:47 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:none
  • Interests:Retired from Orbital Machine Works

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:48 AM

Yes!

Do the turn signals work on the trailer?

Power for all lights comes through the 7-pin connector - is it tight? - are your tow vehicle lights on? Do the brake lights work properly....

Edited by Jim&Clare, 19 March 2017 - 07:50 AM.

Retired from Orbital Machine Works

Can now be found here: https://jimandclares...e.blogspot.com/

#3 Librarianocnj

Librarianocnj
  • Casita Club Member
  • 76 posts
  • Local time: 05:47 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Independence
  • Interests:Bicycling, Fly Fishing, Kayak Fishing, Reading
  • Trailer Name:Callimachusita

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:52 AM

The rear lights and side lights should be lit anytime you have your headlights turned on. Brake lights obviously when you have your foot on the break.

As told to me by LHC, Last check I do is turn on headlights and turn flashers on. Makes it easy to see if all filaments are lit. Then I turn flashers off but always drive with headlights on.
  • sandyb12 and MGD like this
Gordon and Anne
2010 Suzuki Equator "Suzi Q"
2015 Casita Independence "Callimachusita"
Pod Puppies: Josie and Frankie
Casita Kittens: Madison & Razzel & Mrs. Chow

#4 Jerry & Phyllis

Jerry & Phyllis
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:34 PM

Jim&Clare and Librarianocnj,

Thanks. Our Casita suffered a merciless beating on March 17, 2016 in a record hailstorm (stones as big as tennis balls).  All plastic fixtures on the exterior were shattered. We had to cancel our plans for the Bluebonnet. I am taking it to LHC this coming week to be repaired. I’ll be sure to be off the road when it is dark and hope I don’t get a ticket as I drive down to Yantis.. The AC and the fridge still work, as do all interior lights, but the exterior is a disaster.  

We plan to be at the Bluebonnet this year hopefully.

#5 Jim&Clare

Jim&Clare
  • Casita Club Member
  • 49 posts
  • Local time: 04:47 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:none
  • Interests:Retired from Orbital Machine Works

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:01 PM

Thanks. Our Casita suffered a merciless beating on March 17, 2016 in a record hailstorm (stones as big as tennis balls).  All plastic fixtures on the exterior were shattered. We had to cancel our plans for the Bluebonnet. I am taking it to LHC this coming week to be repaired. I’ll be sure to be off the road when it is dark and hope I don’t get a ticket as I drive down to Yantis.. The AC and the fridge still work, as do all interior lights, but the exterior is a disaster.  

Wow!  Bet you are glad you don't have an Airstream.

Larry will fix you up.

See you at Bluebonnet!

Jim

Retired from Orbital Machine Works

Can now be found here: https://jimandclares...e.blogspot.com/

#6 wilyoung

wilyoung
  • Casita Club Member
  • 100 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2010 17' Spirit Deluxe

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:59 PM

You still need your brake lights and turn signals working on the trailer in the daytime.

Edited by wilyoung, 19 March 2017 - 07:02 PM.

• nasa42a likes this
Wil and Joanna
2010 17' Casita SD "Wholaden"
2005 Chevy Trailblazer 4.2L 6 cyl

#7 Louise

Louise
  • Casita Club Member
  • 87 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:13' Patriot (1998)
  • Trailer Name:Lolita Casita

Posted 27 April 2017 - 07:11 PM

We were moving our Patriot (1998) to our new home, about 15 miles away. We noticed that the exterior lights were not working, no turn signal, no brake lights. Interior lights worked fine. Got it to the new home, thankfully, without being stopped by police or causing an accident. Now there is one light on and that's it. Do you think it's a problem with the fuses or do we have a problem with something else? Thanks for any advice. Louise
Louise & Rich
Petaluma, CA
13' Lolita Casita Patriot
2006 Toyota Highlander

#8 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,291 posts
  • Local time: 01:47 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 28 April 2017 - 07:09 AM

Not being an electrician, I am just guessing, but I wonder if the problem with your exterior lights not working, Louise, might be in the cobra head (the connector that plugs into your tow vehicle.) We have found on our 2011 that if it's not seated properly, the tail lights won't work. I'd made the mistake, long ago, of putting grease on the face of the head and even that little bit seems to have accumulated all sorts of gunk that keeps the connection from being a good one. I cleaned it out (laboriously) with a brass wire brush (that one uses to clean out rifles/shotgun barrels) and that helped a LOT in restoring electrical connectivity.

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"The roads of civilization are paved with the bones of horses."

#9 Louise

Louise
  • Casita Club Member
  • 87 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 05:27 PM

We did try to clean the connecting plug, but really didn't have a good file for it. Now I know what to look for - brass wire brush for a shotgun barrel. I think we used to have one, but seem to have lost it in our many moves from east coast to west coast. Everything used to work - last trip was last fall -- but then the rains came this winter to Northern California, and perhaps it got wet. Thanks, for your input, Meadowlark.
Louise
Louise & Rich
Petaluma, CA
2006 Toyota Highlander

#10 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,291 posts
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.

Posted 30 April 2017 - 10:44 AM

You're welcome. I know about the rain. We in WA State decided we have had enough (at this writing, we've had about four feet of rain since October), so we're sending some your way.

#11 Louise

Louise
  • Casita Club Member
  • 87 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:00 PM

Meadowlark, I think the rain is done here, but thanks anyway. As to our lighting situation, we probably have a short in the system. Have called for help from the last people who worked on it. Hopefully, it will be a good fix this time. Do not like having electrical problems.
Louise
  • Meadowlark likes this
Louise & Rich
Petaluma, CA
2006 Toyota Highlander

#12 Louise

Louise
  • Casita Club Member
  • 87 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 10:59 AM

Just to update our electrical problem: we had our local RV repairman come out to do a diagnostic since only one light was functional. It turned out that the Casita was just fine, but the tow car has a problem. The outlet plug (don't know the technical name) showed only 2 out of 6 components were working. The car is now scheduled to be checked by a reputable hitch/tow service. Hopefully it will be ready for a short trip in the beginning of June up the coast of California. Thanks for all suggestions. Louise
Louise & Rich
Petaluma, CA
2006 Toyota Highlander

#13 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 12:48 PM

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. That thought ...that it might be the TV...never crossed my mind. Thanks for the heads up! Did you order the Highlander with the tow package, or did you have to have it installed afterwards? I wonder if that would make the difference. I think I'll have my Smarter Half check the 7 Pin connector on our Tundra with a multimeter. Thank you!!

PS if you're staying in CA, Prairie Creek Redwoods is a very nice campground, especially if you like elk.  When we were there one came right up to our camper in the middle of the night to serenade us. Holy cats they are LOUD!!

Edited by Meadowlark, 13 May 2017 - 12:50 PM.

• EZ-ONE likes this