• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 352 posts
  • Local time: 11:45 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, and yoga.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:52 AM

I am curious as to what the estimated cost of running the Dometic refrigerator on electricity is per day? I know there are a lot of variables that factor into that cost, so I am simply looking for a ballpark figure. Our home refrigerator died and we are storing perishables in our Casita fridge until our replacement gets delivered. We store our trailer in the neighbor's driveway across the street, and would like to reimburse him for the electricity used. Therefore I am curious as to what would be a fair daily rate? $1/day? $2/day? Thanks!

Toddy

Whirlpool Refrigerator.jpg

Edited by Hot Toddy, 18 March 2017 - 05:56 AM.

#2 vermilye

vermilye
  • Casita Club Member
  • 348 posts
  • Local time: 12:45 AM
  • Interests:Photography, travel

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:33 AM

Obviously, it depends on the wattage of the refrigerator element, how long it is on, & the cost of electricity, so it is difficult to guess.  My refrigerator has a 240 watt element and is on about 70% of the time in 70°F weather. A fair guess would be 4-5 kWh per 24 hours.  At $.20 per kWh, $1.00 per day would be fair...

#3 Tom Haberski

Tom Haberski
  • Casita Club Member
  • 137 posts
  • Local time: 10:45 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:1996 16' LD

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:41 AM

For $20 or so you can buy a "Kill-a-watt" meter at a big box building supply store.  It will show operating wattage and other values and firm calculations can then be made.  Cheaper to just go on the high side when repaying your neighbor.  I've used the meter to find start up and operating  wattage of refrig and furnace at home, Casita 16' AC start and operating wattage.  Marginally useful device as it gives info but I need those appliances regardless of electricity cost.  Let's me know if my 2KW generator can operate a device.

#4 Hole Hiker

Hole Hiker
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 07:45 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17sd

Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:48 AM

I've been using my Casita refer as my Beer Cooler since my DW kicked me out of the "Beer Crisper" in our House Refer. I was a bit shocked when I put my KillOWatt on there and saw it pulling 200W. That's a lot of juice, no wonder my electric bill has gone up so much. Looking for a used Dorm Refer on CL now.