Lnixon
  • Casita Club Member
  • 6 posts
  • Local time: 03:07 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2001 Liberty Deluxe 16
  • Trailer Name:Liberty Deluxe 16' 2001

Posted 05 March 2017 - 08:46 PM

Hello everyone.

I have a question about my furnace. I  bought my Casita a few years ago and parked it at my dad's place, staying over three days a week. I was plugged into a power pole. Since then my dad has passed and the Casita is parked in our yard. I have never towed, camped or traveled in a trailer. My intention is to learn all the systems and how to level and hook up. At the end of summer we are planning a week at the coast. I have been looking at paperwork, online manuals and forums to understand the heater (furnace). Can anyone tell me if it will run on regular electricity and/or 12 volt? Also if anyone can list the steps to operate it on other than propane, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you kindly,

Lisa

#2 JimRHuff

JimRHuff
  • Casita Club Member
  • 7 posts
  • Local time: 04:07 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2002 17' Liberty Deluxe
  • Interests:Photography, wilderness, traveling in my Casita,chasing ducks.
  • Trailer Name:Juanita

Posted 06 March 2017 - 07:45 AM

Lisa, you would need to replace the OEM heater to run only on electric.  Most Casita owners carry a portable electric heater and only use the built in heater while Boon Docking.  (Boon Docking, no hookups available) Personally, I detest the noisy forced air heater so I replaced mine with a 6,000 BTU Olympian Wave Catalytic Heater. It works even if the battery is dead. There is also a thermostat controlled version but it is twice the cost.  Look for the "vented cat heater."  This one uses 12V for ignition and includes a thermostat.

• Lnixon likes this

#3 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,434 posts
  • Local time: 05:07 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 06 March 2017 - 08:02 AM

Hello everyone.

I have a question about my furnace. I  bought my Casita a few years ago and parked it at my dad's place, staying over three days a week. I was plugged into a power pole. Since then my dad has passed and the Casita is parked in our yard. I have never towed, camped or traveled in a trailer. My intention is to learn all the systems and how to level and hook up. At the end of summer we are planning a week at the coast. I have been looking at paperwork, online manuals and forums to understand the heater (furnace). Can anyone tell me if it will run on regular electricity and/or 12 volt? Also if anyone can list the steps to operate it on other than propane, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you kindly,

Lisa

Lisa

Sorry about the loss of your father. Keep the warm memories close to you heart. 

Your factory furnace runs on both 12 volt (battery) and 120 volt (home/campsite power). The furnace does a wonderful job of keeping the Casita warm. Personally we and many others have no problem with the furnace "noise". I equate the sound of the furnace with warmth, much like the crackling of a fire is the sound of warmth.  80- 90% of our camping is without electric hookups (boondocking or dry camping is what some call it). Some of the Air Conditioning units have a "heat strip" that is used to take the chill off the inside instead of having the furnace. I find it useless at best in cold conditions and moderately useful when just chilly. It would require electrical hookup (120 volt) or a generator. 

The Casita is easy to tow and set up, low maintenance and a lot of fun!

All the best! 

• Lnixon likes this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#4 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17ft. Spirit Exlax
  • Interests:Pole Dancers
  • Trailer Name:Casablanca
  • Casita Club Directory #:69

Posted 06 March 2017 - 08:16 AM

I'm not sure but I think the furnace operates off of the battery only. The fan has an airflow safety switch so you have to have a good battery or the furnace won't work. It's a propane only furnace so of course you'll need propane.  The furnace operates from a wall thermostat. 

• Lnixon likes this

2014 17' Casita SD

#5 kpiercec8

kpiercec8
  • Casita Club Member
  • 25 posts
  • Local time: 06:07 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Spirit Deluxe

Posted 06 March 2017 - 05:18 PM

I don't know where you will be camping or how cold it will be but we don't have the factory furnace in 17SD but do have the heat strip in the AC unit. Along with the auto AC mod the heat strip had no problem keeping the camper at 68 degrees on two recent nights where it was 33 one night and 24 degrees another night. KP
  • Wally Z and Lnixon like this

Kim & Mary Pierce

#6 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,249 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:26 PM

Hi Lisa,

The furnace heats with propane and but uses electricity to start it and to run the fan.  As already mentioned it works on both AC and DC but we found that the furnace fan can run the battery down if used for a long period of time.  We usually camp without hookups so we will use the furnace for a short spell in the morning to take the chill off and the same in the evening.  We also have an Olympic Catalytic heater, (runs on propane and does not need electricity), that we use if we need heat more often.  Most of our camping is late in the season, in the Pacific NW or Canada so it can be quite cold at times.

BTW. we used to have a 1999 Liberty, now have a 2005 LD.  Our 1999 furnace had a switch on the side of the furnace, under the sink, that had to be turned on to work (our 2005 does not have that switch).  Depending on when that upgrade happened yours may or may not have that switch.

I think you will find your Casita to be very enjoyable. 

Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#7 Mark Watson

Mark Watson
  • Casita Club Member
  • 582 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 FD 17

Posted 07 March 2017 - 03:49 AM

The Casita installed furnace runs on 12 vdc only. To use it simply turn on the gas at the propane cylinder, and set the thermostat next to the sink to the desired temperature. Assuming you have the original wall thermostat and not a newer digital thermostat, when turning the thermostat off, be sure to move the lever on the thermostat all the way to the left until it clicks. If you are plugged into a power pole, the furnace operation procedures are the same. 

Mark Watson

Houston,Tx
2008 17' FD

#8 Lnixon

Lnixon
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 6 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2001 Liberty Deluxe 16
  • Trailer Name:Liberty Deluxe 16' 2001

Posted 07 March 2017 - 09:30 PM

Well I am not sure if this is the way to respond...do I repond to each entry or just add my respose to the bottom?
Thanks for all the imput everyone. So much good info here. So it looks from the different responses like my furnance can be used with propane for the heat with the 12 volt providing power to the fan. If it is running on 120 it looks like the 120 runs the fan and it still uses propane. On the weekend I will check it out.
A couple people mentioned the small heaters. I will check into thatas well. Are all of them dangerous to use with the windows closed?
Thanks to the person with the detailed instructions on turning it on and using the theromostat. I think it was "Clover". I am still learning this forum and can't look back because I am worried I will lose what I wrote.
Hope to be a regular here. i have a lot to learn and am soexcited about doing so.
Kindest regards,
Lisa

#9 tractors1

tractors1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 424 posts
  • Local time: 04:07 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:ex-LD17, Escape21 now
  • Interests:Scuba diving, old tractors, woodworking

Posted 07 March 2017 - 09:39 PM

The furnace runs on 12V only. It's direct from the battery line. All furnace components are 12V.

Below 10.6V the gas solenoid will not open, nor will the fan spin fast enough to close the sail switch safety interlock.

120V plug-in feeds the converter that recharges the 12V battery.

ex-owner LD17, Escape 21 now
2013 Tacoma V6 4dr 4wd long bed

Need a widget to hold your stuff?

Don't drill holes!
http://www.rvwidgetworks.com

#10 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,249 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:49 PM

Are all of them dangerous to use with the windows closed?

The Olympic Catalytic heaters definitely need ventilation.  We leave the Fantastic Fan vent and bathroom window each open about an inch and prop the bathroom door open a bit.  I don't know about the other types of heaters.

So far as responses go, it's up to you.  It is not necessary to answer each post, one response is good.  Whatever you feel like doing is ok.

Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#11 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,434 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:57 AM

I'm not sure but I think the furnace operates off of the battery only. The fan has an airflow safety switch so you have to have a good battery or the furnace won't work. It's a propane only furnace so of course you'll need propane.  The furnace operates from a wall thermostat. 

The furnace will run is you have your battery disconnected (or dead) AND you are connected to a source for 120v AC (shore power or generator). This is assuming your converter is in working order.

I installed a LHC quick disconnect plug for my battery and on several occasion forgot to reconnect it and have used the furnace.

Edited by clover, 08 March 2017 - 06:58 AM.

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)