• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Skierr

Skierr
  • Casita Club Member
  • 16 posts
  • Local time: 09:22 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:liberty deluxe 17
  • Interests:Outdoors anything, camping, fishing, backpacking, skiing, travel and reading.

Posted 23 February 2017 - 03:40 PM

My Casita LD has been sitting for over a year due to an illness last season.  Total bummer not traveling wherever.  Now I planning to get it off the pad and go but as it did not move for over a year, what maintenance should I do to get going?  One friend told me the brakes may be frozen up (??)  There has been no water in it and will be filling the tank this next month so is there anything you folks can suggest I do to insure a great trip?  Its stayed dry and has a cover so outside should be OK.  

Bill

#2 tractors1

tractors1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 424 posts
  • Local time: 10:22 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:ex-LD17, Escape21 now
  • Interests:Scuba diving, old tractors, woodworking

Posted 23 February 2017 - 06:18 PM

I'd do a battery checkout, then fire everything up and do an overnight in the driveway to test all the appliances.

• MGD likes this

ex-owner LD17, Escape 21 now
2013 Tacoma V6 4dr 4wd long bed

Need a widget to hold your stuff?

Don't drill holes!
http://www.rvwidgetworks.com

#3 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17ft. Spirit Exlax
  • Interests:Pole Dancers
  • Trailer Name:Casablanca
  • Casita Club Directory #:69

Posted 23 February 2017 - 08:39 PM

Basically the same things you should check before every trip.  Tires, brakes, and battery to name a few.  After filling the city water tank and checking the battery test pump and bleed air out of lines.  To check the brakes you could hook up to tow vehicle and take it for a spin around block. Air and inspect your tires. Check lug nut torque.  Check all interior and exterior lights. Fire up the stove, hot water heater, and A/C. I would also turn on the refrigerator for a few hours and make sure it's cooling. Overnight would be good with an ice tray in the freezer.  I always start my fridge the day before I'm leaving only put already chilled items in it.  I keep water in my black take and toilet all the time. I add Happy Campers toilet treatment after cleaning. Glad you're health is better and you can get out on the road.

• MGD likes this

2014 17' Casita SD

#4 Skierr

Skierr
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 16 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:liberty deluxe 17
  • Interests:Outdoors anything, camping, fishing, backpacking, skiing, travel and reading.

Posted 26 February 2017 - 04:42 PM

Hey, thanks guys, need to change out the water heater anode also.  Any suggestions on specific anode and how to get that old anode material out of tank?  Will be talking with the factory tomorrow also.

Edited by Skierr, 26 February 2017 - 04:44 PM.

• Skierr likes this

#5 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,585 posts
  • Local time: 12:22 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 27 February 2017 - 06:34 AM

you will need a 1 1/16" socket and you might need a breaker bar to get it loose, sometimes they can be a bear to unscrew/extract

make sure you have the heat source to the water heater turned off (gas or electric), have the water pump turned of, not be hooked up to city water and open the hot water taps on both sinks to reduce the pressure before removing the anode. you don't want to get scaled with hot water and it will come out in a pretty strong flow so don't stand directly in front of the the anode unless you need a bath

magnesium anode rode for "normal" water, aluminum rod for high mineral content such as water in the desert southwest, most folks use the magnesium

you can get one here 

http://littlehousecu...store.html#plum

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#6 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17ft. Spirit Exlax
  • Interests:Pole Dancers
  • Trailer Name:Casablanca
  • Casita Club Directory #:69

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:15 AM

Little House Customs sells the anode you need at a good price. Make sure you open faucet or the T&P valve at top of water heater to bleed off pressure before removing anode. Helps it drain faster also. Flip circuit breaker off also. Flushing with water using a wand (link below) is the way I do it. Install new one with a little Teflon tape and you're good to go.

Think they have these at Walmart also.   https://www.amazon.c...ater flush wand

Little House Customs    http://littlehousecu....com/store.html

2014 17' Casita SD