27 replies to this topic

#16 larrysmith

larrysmith
  • Casita Club Member
  • 62 posts
  • Local time: 07:52 PM
  • Casita Club Directory #:2313

Posted 04 June 2017 - 11:06 AM

Do you tow the Casita  Patriot with the Jeep Wrangler?  If so how does it tow?  Any advise? That is what I want to do.  Sincerely   Larry Smith (mongodog)

#17 sonnyf

sonnyf
  • Casita Club Member
  • 6 posts
  • Local time: 04:52 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2014 Patriot/13'

Posted 05 June 2017 - 09:17 AM

I do tow our Casita Patriot with our Jeep Wrangler with no issues.  Actually, towing the camper makes the Jeep ride smoother.  (:

• obdogs likes this

#18 steensraven

steensraven
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 08:52 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Patriot

Posted 26 September 2017 - 04:56 PM

Hi! I'm looking for feedback on a reasonable price to pay for a 2013 Patriot? Pretty basic model. Looks like the only "extras" were the stove cover and the stabilization package. It is very clean and appears to be in good condition with very little wear.

THANK YOU!

#19 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,432 posts
  • Local time: 09:52 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 26 September 2017 - 06:20 PM

Hi! I'm looking for feedback on a reasonable price to pay for a 2013 Patriot? Pretty basic model. Looks like the only "extras" were the stove cover and the stabilization package. It is very clean and appears to be in good condition with very little wear.

THANK YOU!

what does it have? awning? furnace? AC? vinyl flooring or carpet? cable ready? microwave? television/dvd? what do you mean by stabilization package? solar? generator? did the owner do any mods to it? age of tires? age of battery? the more info you can provide, the better "guestimate" we can provide. what is the asking price? if this is a decent trailer, be prepared to act quickly, it will sell fast. good luck........

Edited by clairemr1, 26 September 2017 - 06:24 PM.

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#20 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,434 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:55 AM

THANK YOU!

If it is the one in the classified ads on this forum, it looks like a pretty good price. Especially if you live in the northwest. There are not as many Casitas in the the NW, let alone the rare Patriot. It has the bathroom since it is a Deluxe, no awning but to me that would not be a show stopper. I'd either get a Clam pop up screen room or a CareFree awning made in the USA. It has an aftermarket Catalytic heater set up with a quick release. Not my prefernce, however several Casita owner use this type of heater. 

So I you live in that neck of the woods, I'd go look at it and be ready to purchase, most don't stay around for long. Casita claims they won't be making them anymore. 

Good Luck!

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#21 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 11:20 AM

THANK YOU!

i'm confused. you are listing a 2013 PD for sale in the classifieds here. Are you buying or selling this trailer?

Edited by clairemr1, 27 September 2017 - 12:03 PM.

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#22 Peter2072

Peter2072
  • Casita Club Member
  • 17 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Patriot 13 foot
  • Interests:Hiking, climbing, birding, camping on the beach
  • Trailer Name:Tickety Boo

Posted 27 October 2018 - 09:14 AM

Awesome job, what is that door you're using on the bath room and where did you get it, if I might ask. Thanks, Peter

#23 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 10:10 AM

Awesome job, what is that door you're using on the bath room and where did you get it, if I might ask. Thanks, Peter

hi, peter, how are you enjoying your PD? hope you're getting out often! steensraven joined this site 3/9/13 & was last online 9/27/17. in those years as a member, she posted twice. not sure if she was buying or selling her PD, but unless someone bought it from her & sees your question, it's unlikely you'll get an answer about that particular door.

safe travels.................

Edited by clairemr1, 27 October 2018 - 10:10 AM.

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#24 Peter2072

Peter2072
  • Casita Club Member
  • 17 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Patriot 13 foot
  • Interests:Hiking, climbing, birding, camping on the beach
  • Trailer Name:Tickety Boo

Posted 27 October 2018 - 03:42 PM

Thanks Claire, you have been so helpful. I realized later on she was selling the Patriot and the post was old and she was likely no longer here. You gotta admit, that was a cool looking bathroom door, thought I'm still happy with removing mine.

Otherwise, making big progress, but sill lots to do. Phase 1 complete, now I'm going to take a few late autumn trips to see what comes next. I love the trailer more as I get it the way I want it. Largely following your play book, so far have:

Moved the battery to the tongue.

Had a boat fiberglass guy repair big holes in the wheel well caused by a blow out from PO.

Checked the electrics, added 12V outlets, installed new microwave and refridge.

Installed a huge, expensive battery for boondocking.

Installed new digital meter for battery health.

Cut a dozen adhesive hooks down with monofilament fish line and removed the remaining adhesive. (The PO was a fiend for those things).

Had an upholstery shop modify my cushions, so I can use either the twin or double bed set up at any time and still have back cushions for sitting.

New water heater door from Casita.

Removed the AC and installed a lockable access hatch in that spot so I can load and access stuff in that big space from the outside front.

Sealed the windows and roof vent in a bombproof way.

So I'm fully functional now, from here it's just personal preference. Might switch to 15 inch tires, I have the height (but there may be no need), will definitely paint next spring, might install a 12-v radio/sound system, planning on a vinyl plank floor. Will keep you posted, thanks so much for your help. Best, Peter

• clairemr1 likes this

#25 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 04:42 PM

Thanks Claire, you have been so helpful. I realized later on she was selling the Patriot and the post was old and she was likely no longer here. You gotta admit, that was a cool looking bathroom door, thought I'm still happy with removing mine.

Otherwise, making big progress, but sill lots to do. Phase 1 complete, now I'm going to take a few late autumn trips to see what comes next. I love the trailer more as I get it the way I want it. Largely following your play book, so far have:

Moved the battery to the tongue.

Had a boat fiberglass guy repair big holes in the wheel well caused by a blow out from PO.

Checked the electrics, added 12V outlets, installed new microwave and refridge.

Installed a huge, expensive battery for boondocking.

Installed new digital meter for battery health.

Cut a dozen adhesive hooks down with monofilament fish line and removed the remaining adhesive. (The PO was a fiend for those things).

Had an upholstery shop modify my cushions, so I can use either the twin or double bed set up at any time and still have back cushions for sitting.

New water heater door from Casita.

Removed the AC and installed a lockable access hatch in that spot so I can load and access stuff in that big space from the outside front.

Sealed the windows and roof vent in a bombproof way.

So I'm fully functional now, from here it's just personal preference. Might switch to 15 inch tires, I have the height (but there may be no need), will definitely paint next spring, might install a 12-v radio/sound system, planning on a vinyl plank floor. Will keep you posted, thanks so much for your help. Best, Peter

wow, you've really accomplished alot! glad you'll be getting out soon for a few fall outings. enjoy!

Edited by clairemr1, 27 October 2018 - 04:42 PM.

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#26 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 583 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, and yoga.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 28 October 2018 - 06:53 AM

Hey Peter, you can buy folding or acordian doors at Home Depot and Lowes. I replaced my bathroom door with a faux wood accordion door bought from Lowes and am very pleased with the results. I am sure I have pictures of the project posted on line. I had to shorten the door and remove the middle section of panels to customize its size to the existing frame. You will figure it out if you put your mind to it. Best of luck!

Toddy

#27 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 07:55 AM

todd just reminded me. "beetlefreak" installed a pocket door that i absolutely love! check his out too. really awesome! i just use a white curtain on the kitchen side of the door with plans this winter to have bluebonnets painted on it by a wonderful trailer friend. she is an incredible artist. she also offered to paint bluebonnets on my exterior  vinyl ac cover, new tire covers & spare tire cover. i removed the casita name from over the tongue & at both sides in back & like the look much better. for now, i still have the side decals, but they may go once she does the bluebonnet theme. i should be decked out soon!

be sure to posts pics of your projects as you complete them. always fun to see a work in progress come together nicely. safe travels............

Edited by clairemr1, 28 October 2018 - 07:58 AM.

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#28 obdogs

obdogs
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Patriot 13'
  • Interests:Hiking with my dogs, working on my projects.
  • Trailer Name:Wanda

Posted 29 December 2018 - 03:59 PM

Hi Larry,

I'm Sonny, living in San Diego (Ocean each), a three weeks ago I found a 2010 Patriot Deluxe in excellent condition from the original owner who ordered it made with her specifications and numerous upgrades. I was hoping to be able to tow it with my 2003 Rav4, but it has a towing rating of 1500#. I also have a 1998 Tacoma extra cab 2 wheel drive automatic trans rated at 3500-5000#. I see that you tow with your Wrangler. Would my 4 cylinder Tacoma be under powered,in your opinion? It's in good running condition and with under 100k on the odometer.