• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Picker&Digger

Picker&Digger
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 12:01 AM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 02:57 PM

Just bought a 2002 Casita 16 footer and the window leaks - we tried sealing it with silicone. Does anyone know where I can get this replaced in Texas? Has anyone had this problem and is there another solution?

#2 Steamboat

Steamboat
  • Casita Club Member
  • 188 posts
  • Local time: 01:01 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2016 17' ID
  • Trailer Name:Steamboat

Posted 14 December 2016 - 04:40 PM

Go to a marina supply store and get a tube of deck sealant. It comes in either black or white. That should seal the window but don't go overboard (pun not intended)...use it sparingly. It is probably the rubber that is leaking. Rubber deteriorates and cracks. Get a new window rubber gasket...

Karl & Norma with Scout "The Wonder Dog"

2013 Honda Pilot AWD - EX-L

#3 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,447 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 14 December 2016 - 07:01 PM

Go to the Casita factory in Rice, TX

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#4 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,119 posts
  • Local time: 10:01 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 14 December 2016 - 07:27 PM

Your best bet would be to get a roll of Butyl rubber window sealing tape. The only way to properly reseal any RV or trailer window is to first completely remove the window, (accomplished by removing all the inside frame screws and inside frame ring, and then gently pushing it out, but make sure that you have someone outside to keep it from free falling to the ground.) Then clean all the old adhesive tape off the trailer and the window frame, and apply the Butyl rubber tape around the perimeter of the window frame for re-installation, starting at the middle of the bottom of the frame, and proceeding all the way around the frame, until you are back to where you started at the middle of the bottom of the frame so that it has a complete ring of sealing tape. Then reinstall the window back onto the side of the trailer in the reverse of removal. Also remember, the window has a top and a bottom. The bottom will have little drain holes in the frame. Don't mount it upside down when you re-install it.

I would not recommend using any type of sealant in a tube for this application, since you want the window to be removable again if necessary. Using those types of sealants will probably cause you to wind up breaking the window if you ever need to remove it again. Butyl rubber tape is what most RV and trailer manufacturers use. Whatever you do, please do not use silicone sealants.

Also, FWIW, you cannot effectively reseal a trailer or RV window by putting a "bead" of any type of sealant around the edge of the frame. It will only work for a short time until it leaks again. If you do it right the first time, you'll never have to redo it again for another 20 years (or longer.) It isn't that hard or daunting of a project. Simple removal of screws and cleaning up the old sealant off of the mating surfaces, reapply the new sealing tape and screw it back together. This is a project anyone can do.

https://www.amazon.c...t/dp/B0070O93HA

Edited by Euphoria, 15 December 2016 - 03:59 PM.

• Wally Z and Steamboat like this

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Super Dooper Deluxe

2016 Chevy Silverado, Crew Cab 5.8L V-8, 4X4

2004 Nissan Frontier, Crew Cab, V-6 2WD

Casita Club # 2754

#5 Tom Haberski

Tom Haberski
  • Casita Club Member
  • 172 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:1996 16' LD

Posted 15 December 2016 - 11:34 AM

I resealed 3 of the windows in my 1996 16' LD.  Mine used originally a molded foam rubber seal from the factory which I replaced by using butyl tape.  No leaks since.  It's a bit of a project, mostly with cleaning all the tired,old silicone that previous owners had applied for sealing purposes. 

I would suggest following the procedure and advice of Euphoria as detailed above.  Spot on information. 

#6 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts
  • Local time: 10:01 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17ft. Spirit Exlax
  • Interests:Pole Dancers
  • Trailer Name:Casablanca
  • Casita Club Directory #:69

Posted 15 December 2016 - 12:02 PM

A side note on the butyl tape which I also would recommend using as described by Greg. Keep it in the freezer before using it and try to keep it cold while using it. Makes it much easier to work with. Peel paper off one side and apply to window frame. Then peel the paper off other side just before reinstalling the window.  This stuff sticks to everything so take your time when applying it or you can end up with a mess. Get the white butyl tape as shown on the supplied link. I used it to install sliding door window mod. I did last year. Recommended by LHC where I purchased the window.  Works good and last a long time.

• Steamboat and like this

2014 17' Casita SD

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: window