Photo

Who Has A Drone Or Is Looking To Get One?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer
  • Admin
  • 4,013 posts
  • Local time: 10:35 AM
  • Casita Club Directory #:1000

Posted 17 October 2016 - 07:39 PM

I'm just wondering who has a drone, or who is looking to get one in the near future?  I've been looking at them for years, but the new DJI Mavic that is coming out has me really thinking hard about making the investment.

For those who have not heard of this new drone from DJI, here is the video released at the announcement:

A few days before the DJI was announced, GoPro announced their Karma Drone with the Hero 5 camera.  I own a GoPro camera, but find myself not using it as much as some of my other cameras.  Only because the extreme wide-angle of the lens.  However, in a drone it makes sense and produces some great video:

I would love to speak to folks using a drone now, or who are looking to get one.  Let us know your thoughts, and maybe show off some video!

Eric  B)

• Wally Z likes this

The Casita Club

----------

Here is a video tutorial on how to upload images to your post:
How To Attach an Image to Your Post

#2 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,218 posts
  • Local time: 11:35 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 18 October 2016 - 04:57 AM

Eric

Thank you for sharing what your research on drones with cameras. 

My son has had a several drones with "ok" cameras and owns a GoPro Hero. We think the camera technology has been solid for some time. Trying to sort through the hundreds of drones available to find one that will respond accurately to a remote and be durable has been the challenge.

GoPro has some skin in the game to come up with a dependable drone. The DJI looks to have a very sophisticated systems for tracking and "non-crash & burn" flying.

• U.S.M.C. Don likes this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#3 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,376 posts
  • Local time: 09:35 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 18 October 2016 - 08:58 AM

I got one for my birthday but haven't played with it yet. I got a Hubsan X4. It has a camera .

Being that I'm not very technologically savvy, I also purchased the book

"The Drone Pilot's Handbook" by Adam Juniper. ISBN 978-1-78157-298-6.

I am glad I did as it has a LOT of information in it on how to fly the drone. The manual for the drone says to have an 'experienced pilot' at your side when you begin flying. I don't have a teenager so I'm sorta screwed. The book helps a lot.

Being a field biologist, I think the drone will help me a LOT in my research. Being able to fly a drone over an inaccessible (or environmentally fragile) habitat rather than having to bushwhack in will really extend my 'reach'.

• clover likes this

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"No matter how old I am, I'm always going to want a pony for Christmas."

#4 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,218 posts
  • Local time: 11:35 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 18 October 2016 - 10:35 AM

We got to watch a drone with an infrared camera used for  duck nest surveys instead of the old way of using a rope or cable strung between two 4x4 and dragged through an area to shag the ducks up out of their nests like this https://youtu.be/ZWpgIvikHrU. 

When we had a wildfire in the county they used a drone to direct the giant Catipillar Dozers into the thick Mountain Junipers with the water tenders following close behind. In our very rural area we are in the to of  the Texas Hill Country it is rocky and the Junipers are so thick a fire truck can even get close to a fire. The camera on the drone drastically cut down on how far the fire spread. Then they monitored for hot spots and flare ups for a week. Sometimes the fire goes underground in the root system of the trees  and a fire flares back up in another location.

Seems like there is a lot of good uses for drones with cameras. But of course there will be morons that use them for the "wrong" reasons

• Meadowlark and U.S.M.C. Don like this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#5 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,376 posts
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.

Posted 19 October 2016 - 02:37 PM

My neighbor told me if I let my drone wander over the fence into 'his' airspace he'll shoot it down. No, he's not a nice person at all but I DO understand the feeling, because I'd probably do the same thing. So I will be careful where I fly it. The book  I mentioned says to try flying it INDOORS for the first few times, and to tether it, so that it doesn't get too rambunctious and decide to follow the wild geese.

#6 LHCAZ

LHCAZ
  • Casita Club Member
  • 18 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:SD 17
  • Trailer Name:G C E A

Posted 25 October 2016 - 05:17 AM

I got a DJI Phantom 3 Advanced last spring. Has a great camera and is pretty easy to fly. It didn't get much use over the hot summer here but it's getting time to charge the batteries and take it out again. We'll be camping this weekend and the copter will be coming along. I did have it at Bluebonnet last April and Jim Briton uploaded to YouTube a little vid I did of the park on the last morning. Nothing special but a nice fly over.

I'm very cautious of where I fly and try to avoid populated areas. The down side is that they are not allowed in a lot of the places you'd like to fly. The up side is that it's a big world out there so there's still lots of choices. This weekend we'll be at a State Park (no fly zone) but there's a big city park right next door that I believe is safe to fly. Will be somewhat near an airport so flights will have to be low.

For the little bit that I've used it, I've found the copter to be a lot of fun and it's opened up a whole new world of photography.

Konrad

<400'

Konrad

www.littlehousecustomsarizona.com

Camp Verde, Arizona

#7 PerfectCasita

PerfectCasita
  • After-Market Product Supplier
  • 413 posts
  • Local time: 12:35 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:None

Posted 25 October 2016 - 05:35 AM

I got a DJI Phantom 3 Advanced last spring. Has a great camera and is pretty easy to fly. It didn't get much use over the hot summer here but it's getting time to charge the batteries and take it out again. We'll be camping this weekend and the copter will be coming along. I did have it at Bluebonnet last April and Jim Briton uploaded to YouTube a little vid I did of the park on the last morning. Nothing special but a nice fly over.

I'm very cautious of where I fly and try to avoid populated areas. The down side is that they are not allowed in a lot of the places you'd like to fly. The up side is that it's a big world out there so there's still lots of choices. This weekend we'll be at a State Park (no fly zone) but there's a big city park right next door that I believe is safe to fly. Will be somewhat near an airport so flights will have to be low.

For the little bit that I've used it, I've found the copter to be a lot of fun and it's opened up a whole new world of photography.

Konrad

<400'

Here is Konrad's drone video..

http://www.casitaclu...-2016/?p=205389

Orbital Machine Works online store
http://www.perfectcasita.com

#8 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer
  • Topic Starter
  • Admin
  • 4,013 posts
  • Casita Club Directory #:1000

Posted 28 October 2016 - 06:49 PM

After seeing some of the video that has come out, I think the DJI is still top of this game.  I know there are folks building their own, but there is no way I could do that right now (although it would probably be really rewarding).   I was walking my dog here in Boise, and though how great it would be to have a drone to take some aerial shots of the fall colors.  It's pretty amazing here right now, and there are times when the wind is blowing and red, yellow, brown, etc, leaves are coming down, which would make for some really cool video.  Don't forget, fall colors is not something I am used to seeing every day.

Now, to save up...

Here is Konrad's video embedded (nice video, btw):

Eric  B)

The Casita Club

----------

Here is a video tutorial on how to upload images to your post:
How To Attach an Image to Your Post

#9 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 07:39 AM

Wow,that is good flying. He obviously knows what he's doing! Look at allllll those Casitas...it must be migration season!!