4 replies to this topic

#1 WAD

WAD
  • Casita Club Member
  • 8 posts
  • Local time: 01:09 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Look at the 13'

Posted 16 October 2016 - 07:46 PM

I have a couple questions about the 13' Deluxe Patriot, I am looking at buying a 13' Deluxe Patriot w/the BR. Has anyone ever installed a Rhino rack w/the Fox-Wing Awning system?

Does anyone tow a 13' w/a TJ (97-06 Wrangler)? handling in adverse weather and general characteristics.

Thank you,

C

#2 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,453 posts
  • Local time: 02:09 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 18 October 2016 - 06:01 AM

wad, solo matt used to tow with a 2015 jeep jk wrangler unlimited in california. i don't know how it compares to your jeep. you'll need to do some research as far as the towing capability of your vehicle, tongue weight that it can accomodate and where you will be towing. most folks recommend a tow rating of at least 5000 lbs.to be safe under most conditions, including towing into high elevations. unfortunately solo matt no longer posts anywhere, he would be a good resource for you.

the rhinorack with fox wing awning looks interesting online and would probably work fine. you might also find a used patriot with the awning already installed. i'd recommend making sure you have a safe tow vehicle first. towing with a marginal tow vehicle may prove unsafe and/or lead to premature aging/increased mechanical break downs of your vehicle. then find your patriot then ad any modifications as you find you need them. attend some rallies, tour the factory, ask tons of questions and enjoy the journey. best of luck.............

Edited by clairemr1, 18 October 2016 - 06:04 AM.

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#3 WAD

WAD
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 8 posts
  • Local time: 01:09 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Look at the 13'

Posted 18 October 2016 - 08:53 AM

clairemr1,

Thank you for the response.  I have discovered that there will be a meeting of Casitas this Saturday up in Grapevine, TX.   There is an open house, I plan on visiting and looking at many as I can and ask the 1001 questions I have.

The main reason I want to keep my Jeep, its paid for.  Her name is Serenity and she has been in my life for 10 years.  When things were difficult, job, relationships, etc..., Serenity was always there.  I am very thankful of having this Jeep in my life.

Anyway, thank you again.

C

Edited by WAD, 18 October 2016 - 08:54 AM.

#4 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,453 posts
  • Local time: 02:09 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 18 October 2016 - 05:16 PM

i understand about being attached to a vehicle. i absolutely loved my 1995 ford ranger pick up, but it was becoming unreliable and i just cannot be travelling with a 20 yr old tow vehicle having increasing mechanical issues. i hope it turns out that you can tow your patriot deluxe with your jeep. enjoy seeing the casitas this weekend......................

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#5 Microoverland

Microoverland
  • Casita Club Member
  • 14 posts
  • Local time: 07:09 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:shopping for 13 foot

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:03 PM

I have been considering the foxwing style awning for my 13 foot. The biggest problem I can see in my research is that the door of the trailer would be very poorly covered, but the rear would be covered great. The longest one they make is just about as long as the trailer body, so with the shape of the awning when deployed, it just sort of covers the door (angles out toward rear - look at shape from above). I am mounting a rear outside kitchen on  mine on a swing out tire carrier style mount, so the rear coverage would be great, but if its raining, the doorway is still exposed. anyway... still looking at it. Heres mine after I lifted it...

camping.JPG