• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#16 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,789 posts
  • Local time: 01:06 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 03 October 2016 - 08:12 AM

Sometimes, flcoxjr, people build things like this table just for fun. I agree, a regular ol' table does the same job and quite probably, more efficiently. I am not an 'interior' decorator or a fashionista...I've never 'remodded' my kitchen or forced my husband to do the heavy lifting during a 'let's re-arrange the furniture' fit because I don't have them. But this table just looks..nice. In my mind, it's the same mindset as that of the many truly artistic woodworkers demonstrate right here on CC. Why replace all the dinette tables, the cupboard doors, etc with wood when the cheapo particle board stuff does the same thing? Because wood looks pretty and laminated particle board just looks...well, like laminated particle board.

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#17 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,016 posts
  • Local time: 02:06 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 03 October 2016 - 11:50 AM

Well, I had an over-sized, (for my home oven,) full sheet baking pan. My oven will only accommodate a "half-sheet" pan, so I needed to figure out how else to use it for something other than collecting dust. I have also been wanting a small slide-in table near the door side of the trailer, so I fabricated one out of some aluminum flat bar stock I had in my garage along with the "too big for anything else" sheet pan. It is centered pretty much under my slide-in awning track and also centered over the wheel well. It is also handy to the outlet and is just the right height for a convenient multi-purpose table/tray for a couple of chairs on either side, or a flat place to put something, (like a radio, etc.) I also had a 16" piece of Keder rail left over from my new slide-in awning track installation a while back. Oh well, never satisfied unless I'm tinkering with something, so I now have a new side table. It even has a cut-to-fit plastic cutting board insert that I can use as well. Stores almost anywhere and takes up very little room. Also, since it's all aluminum, it weighs practically nothing. I had to notch one edge of the sheet pan's rolled edge near the corner bend in order to clear the Keder Rail so I could slide it in, but the rolled edge of the sheet pan works well once inside the channel. Necessity is the mother of invention. I looked high and low for a suitable exterior table but I couldn't find anything I liked on the web, or that wasn't ridiculously priced, so I just fabricated my own. I actually think it is better than most of the other stuff I've seen on the web that's out there, and my cost was almost nothing. And since it's all aluminum, it will never rust.

Casita 001.JPG  Casita 002.JPG  Casita 005.JPG  Casita 007.JPG  Casita 010.JPG  Casita 011.JPG  

• CC-John, clover, Meadowlark and 2 others like this

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Super Dooper Deluxe

2016 Chevy Silverado, Crew Cab 5.8L V-8, 4X4

2004 Nissan Frontier, Crew Cab, V-6 2WD

Casita Club # 2754

#18 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,789 posts
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.

Posted 03 October 2016 - 07:06 PM

That looks very nice, Euphoria. Is there something on the bottom end of the vertical support to keep it from scratching the paint on the wheel? Have you load tested it, meaning, can it support a couple of beers or a large cat? Because my cat insists on getting into, on top of  or around every cupboard shelf or closet ever created.

Edited by Meadowlark, 03 October 2016 - 07:07 PM.

#19 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17ft. Spirit Exlax
  • Interests:Pole Dancers
  • Trailer Name:Casablanca
  • Casita Club Directory #:69

Posted 03 October 2016 - 07:24 PM

Nicely done!

2014 17' Casita SD

#20 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 05:17 AM

That looks very nice, Euphoria. Is there something on the bottom end of the vertical support to keep it from scratching the paint on the wheel? Have you load tested it, meaning, can it support a couple of beers or a large cat? Because my cat insists on getting into, on top of  or around every cupboard shelf or closet ever created.

Thanks for the compliments and "likes" everyone.

Meadowlark,

There is nothing currently on the bottom of the angle bracket, other than I just smoothed it on my belt sander. I don't see it being much of a paint scratching problem on the rim since it's pretty smooth, but maybe I'll do a "Plastic-Dip" on the bottom section of it. (That same rubbery stuff they make to dip tool handles in.)

I haven't actually "load tested" it, (which for me anyway, usually involves me sitting my 240 lb. carcass on something,) but it feels pretty substantial when set up. I would not hesitate to put 50 or 60 pounds on it without worry, (and it's probably capable of much more,) but I don't see where I would find much need for that much weight. Your kitty would love it. I have cats too. It would provide him/her with a handy "catbird seat" perch where they could sit on a comfy cat-cushion and survey their domain. I just think it would be handy for a ghetto blaster, cigar ashtray, ice bucket and a Margarita blender, but a camp stove would probably work out well there too.

:danc:  :dncinban:  :rofl2:

Edited by Euphoria, 04 October 2016 - 05:30 AM.

• Steamboat likes this

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

Casita Club # 2754

#21 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 08:03 AM

eeeeheee, I haven't heard the term "ghetto blaster' in ages. I bet today's kids would have no idea what we're talking about.

• Wally Z likes this

#22 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 543 posts
  • Local time: 04:06 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, and yoga.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 15 October 2016 - 06:21 AM

I don't see the point of this table. It is not permantly mounted to the outside of the Casita, so it has to be stored in the Casita or tow vehicle. There are any number of commercially available collapsible camping tables available, some of them that pack down very compactly.

I could understand some kind of table permanently mounted to the side of the Casita, that folded flat against the side for traveling.

This table is very clever and I'll bet a great conversation starter, but I agree with flcoxjr. We have a small plastic table that folds flat, is light weight and has greater surface area that we use to set our toaster oven and conduction burner on for outdoor cooking. I have even seen models that fold in half so when set up provide 4'-6' of surface space; enough to feed a family. Ha! They may be a bit more expensive, but a lot less energy and effort to procure.

Toddy

#23 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 543 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, and yoga.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 15 October 2016 - 06:38 AM

Euphoria - WOW! I really like your setup. Nice and sleek and streamlined and what a great way to re-purpose a baking sheet. The aluminum look goes great with the trim on your Casita. Thanks for posting those pics. Your table looks very sharp!

Toddy

#24 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 12:47 PM

Thanks Toddy.

As an update, I have also since dipped the lower angle bracket leg, (where it sits on the wheel rim,) in some of that plastic dip, (like the stuff they dip and coat on tool handles,) just to make it less of a scratching hazard, even though it is pretty smooth already.

Greg

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

Casita Club # 2754

#25 Steamboat

Steamboat
  • Casita Club Member
  • 188 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2016 17' ID
  • Trailer Name:Steamboat

Posted 16 October 2016 - 05:13 AM

Euphoria...what color did you dip with? Got a photo? Nice idea and really appreciate your photos. Absolutely love your load testing method!!!  :unsure:

Karl & Norma with Scout "The Wonder Dog"

2013 Honda Pilot AWD - EX-L

#26 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 07:53 AM

Euphoria...what color did you dip with? Got a photo? Nice idea and really appreciate your photos. Absolutely love your load testing method!!!  :unsure:

I'm betting black. The same as he put under his A/C capacitor thingy. :D

2014 17' Casita SD

#27 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 08:09 AM

Thanks Steamboat, and yes, it is black, but only because that's what I just happened to have on hand in my garage. If I was going to go out and buy some, I'd probably have gone with white to sort of blend in with the wheel rim.

But I'm not sure what you're seeing under the capacitor Wally, because I didn't use any of it up there in or around the A/C unit, (i.e. pictures from the Easy Start Thread.)

Perhaps you mistook my installation photos for the ones that Joe Romas posted. I see that, on his, there appears to be some kind of black coating under the capacitor in his photo on this thread: http://www.casitaclu...the-easy-start/

Edited by Euphoria, 16 October 2016 - 08:20 AM.

• Wally Z likes this

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

Casita Club # 2754

#28 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 05:06 PM

Thanks Steamboat, and yes, it is black, but only because that's what I just happened to have on hand in my garage. If I was going to go out and buy some, I'd probably have gone with white to sort of blend in with the wheel rim.

But I'm not sure what you're seeing under the capacitor Wally, because I didn't use any of it up there in or around the A/C unit, (i.e. pictures from the Easy Start Thread.)

Perhaps you mistook my installation photos for the ones that Joe Romas posted. I see that, on his, there appears to be some kind of black coating under the capacitor in his photo on this thread: http://www.casitaclu...the-easy-start/

Sorry! Thought I was looking at your pictures. My eyes are getting old too. B)

2014 17' Casita SD

#29 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 07:47 PM

No problem Wally, I'm getting old too. It happens. No harm, no foul. Not a biggie.

• Meadowlark and Wally Z like this

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

Casita Club # 2754

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Shelf, exterior, hanging