• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 tomeverard

tomeverard
  • Casita Club Member
  • 12 posts
  • Local time: 11:38 AM

Posted 23 September 2016 - 08:11 AM

Hi have been a member here for while...just watchin.
I ordered a new 2017... Pickup in January.
I got every option except the electric tongue Jack and the MW.
Since I will be relatively close to Larry...is there anything that I should have/ need ?
This is my first time camping....I just retired and live in Michigan.
I hope to spend a couple months in it in Texas and Arizona, bring it back to Michigan in the spring.
Thanks for all the good info not his forum.
Tom

#2 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts
  • Local time: 02:38 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17ft. Spirit Exlax
  • Interests:Pole Dancers
  • Trailer Name:Casablanca
  • Casita Club Directory #:69

Posted 23 September 2016 - 08:56 AM

Welcome to the forum from Texas. Just have your tow vehicle hitch and hook ups ready along with a brake controller. What's your tow vehicle? What's your location? Make sure you get a reservation with Larry.  I like the upgrade pump and H2O heater switches. 3-way porch light switch. Screen door handle. Break away spiral brake cable. Keyless storage door latches. (Except water & battery compartments)  Fantastic fan MaxxAir cover. Sliding window in entrance door. Grey tank vent. Toilet supply cutoff valve. OMW shocks. Smart fuses. OMW rear hitch. That's about all I can think of right now. I purchased most of that from Larry and installed myself. If I lived closer I would of had him do it. :lol: The OMW (Orbital Machine Works) items I got from them and installed myself also. Would have been nice to have Larry install them as well.  I forgot to mention the battery extension cables with quick connect. Everything I mentioned have been very useful and made my camping experience better.  That's something you need to ask yourself before buying.  

Stop and spend the night at one of the close to factory campgrounds for a day or two so you can test everything out and give the trailer a good look over. I found a bad mini blind and a wheel bearing cap that wasn't sealing and flinging grease out. Took it back the nest day and they fixed it before I could complain about it. We stayed at a Lake about 25 minutes from Casita factory for one night. My schedule didn't give me time to stop at LHC.  It's been fun and sometimes challenging doing the modifications my self.  

• Steamboat likes this

2014 17' Casita SD

#3 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,932 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 23 September 2016 - 09:32 AM

Welcome to the Nest! This is the best club...no question is "too stupid'' to ask. ALL of us were newbies once, we all have made mistakes, we all have come to this website and said how, why, what do I do?

There is another casita website, the Casita Forum which I am not on. I am told it is much more technical, and, I've heard, a bit more...argumentative? meaning trolls and flamers.  I don't know that for a fact. On this website, we are polite and even when we disagree it is done without cussing, without demeaning or 'dissing' (gads I hate that term)  and in a civil manner.

You will learn a LOT from us and we hope to learn from you!

What Wally said! But wait...I doubt he got all those mods at once? Either way every Casita becomes a mod project!

You can, by the way, order the camper without the decals. I wish I'd known that before I wrecked my fingernails peeling them off,but I like ours now that it is 'incognito'.

Go through ALL the manuals and paperwork you receive. There are several warranty cards, and the one for the refrigerator demands that you send it in within TEN DAYS of purchase, and include a copy of the sales receipt! Send in all the warranty cards ASAP.

DO take his advice and camp close by Rice the day you pick the camper up, so that if necessary, you can turn around and take it back for a do-over. Run EVERYTHING. Make sure the hot water heater has water in it before you turn it on. If you want to check the carbon monoxide alarm, run a bit of alcohol (or beer will probably work....) on a cotton ball past it, it will darn sure tell you it doesn't like it.

In our experience, we had to remove the smoke alarm because it was so sensitive a blown out kitchen match set it off....right at ear level and it is ear SPLITTING. That's when we learned what the carpet is for-something your cat has to be peeled off after the smoke alarm goes off. :wacko:

Sometimes the propane takes a while to get into the system, so your refrigerator won't kick on until it has gas. The easiest way to get that working is to open the range top and try to get it to light. It (the range top) works best if you have the ceiling fan/vent opened a bit, as well as the outside vent. Don't run the fridge on DC unless you like having your battery drained.

Unless they have changed procedures, Casita does NOT fill your propane tanks. They will tell you where to take it..it's not far and just up the frontage road and a right turn from the factory. I don't know if the tanks come purged or not, ask Casita's tech or have the guy at the propane filling station purge it.

Casita will fill your water tank for you, make sure you have a water filter to put on the hose.

Each time, before you drive off, make sure the door is SHUT. What we do is shut the door and hear a click, and then push on it to hear a second  click. Maybe they've fixed that, but it doesn't take too many instances of seeing your camper door flopping open at 60 mph to make you gunshy. We had the new door lock installed a few years ago and had to readjust the 'strike plate' which seemed to fix the problem, but still, we bungee cord the door shut as added insurance.

Good luck, have fun and again, welcome!

Edited by Meadowlark, 23 September 2016 - 09:35 AM.

• Steamboat likes this

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#4 Carolyn and Steve

Carolyn and Steve
  • Casita Club Member
  • 29 posts
  • Local time: 03:38 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit DLX 17
  • Interests:Travelling, hiking biking and the great outdoors.
  • Trailer Name:L'il House on the Freeway or Charley's House (pup)

Posted 23 September 2016 - 11:08 AM

Congrats on your purchase.

Watch all the youtube videos from the Casita factory.

https://www.amazon.c...e/dp/188778005X

"CASITA TRAVEL TRAILER A-Z OWNER'S GUIDE" -by Eileen Glick

This is the most indispensable book you can ever buy for Casita  knowledge.
It comes by PDF--We printed ours out had it bound at Staples and never leave home without it.
Carolyn read through many times.  By the time we were leaving we had everything we needed to have a successful journey.
Read the reviews.
Go directly to her  website or orde from.
best, 

Steve and Carolyn
San Clemente, CA

#5 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 01:16 PM

Are they putting CO detectors in them now. I only got a propane gas detector in mine. Had to buy a CO detector on my own.

Edited by Wally Z, 23 September 2016 - 01:17 PM.

• MGD likes this

2014 17' Casita SD

#6 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,434 posts
  • Local time: 04:38 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 23 September 2016 - 02:51 PM

Tom

Don't get the impression that the Casita has a lot of things "wrong" with it when people rattle off a list of modifications.

Many folks never change anything on the Casita and do just fine. However all would agree get a door bumper or a flat plate to protect the door from hitting the belly band at a high rate of speed when the wind grabs the entrance door right out of you hand. 

Another door to double check that is closed is your refrigerator door. Make sure you hear the "click" sound when it closes. If you go down the road with is swinging open and loaded you will have a mess to clean up and potential damage to the fridge door. Don't ask we how I know that. 

If you are going to spend a couple of months in Texas, maybe camp for several weeks before you set up your appointment with Little House Customs. However keep in mind he books appointments months ahead of time. 

here is the water filter mentioned above

https://www.walmart....2-Pack/14504322

you will need a water pressure reducer

https://www.walmart....ulator/14504323

door bumper or plate guard

https://www.walmart....-White/47554634

https://www.walmart....tector/49356820

• Meadowlark, U.S.M.C. Don and Steamboat like this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#7 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 09:23 PM

Tom

Don't get the impression that the Casita has a lot of things "wrong" with it when people rattle off a list of modifications.

Many folks never change anything on the Casita and do just fine. However all would agree get a door bumper or a flat plate to protect the door from hitting the belly band at a high rate of speed when the wind grabs the entrance door right out of you hand. 

Another door to double check that is closed is your refrigerator door. Make sure you hear the "click" sound when it closes. If you go down the road with is swinging open and loaded you will have a mess to clean up and potential damage to the fridge door. Don't ask we how I know that. 

If you are going to spend a couple of months in Texas, maybe camp for several weeks before you set up your appointment with Little House Customs. However keep in mind he books appointments months ahead of time. 

here is the water filter mentioned above

https://www.walmart....2-Pack/14504322

you will need a water pressure reducer

https://www.walmart....ulator/14504323

door bumper or plate guard

https://www.walmart....-White/47554634

https://www.walmart....tector/49356820

Clover they give you a pressure regulator and white fresh water hose at the factory. At least they use to. Will still need filter. They also give you a hitch coupler lock. Tom, you'll need the black water hose fittings also. They give you a hose at the factory but no connecting fittings.  Larry at LHC sells a real nice Rhino hose setup with everything you need to dump black and grey water tanks. You will also need a garden hose you can dedicate to flushing black water hose and black water tank cleaning. Obvious reasons. Since your going to be camping right after picking trailer up these will definitely be items you need.  Walmart carries most of the common accessories.  This is the Rhino hose set which is a good one. Some folks get the extension hose also. 

https://www.amazon.c... sewer hose kit

https://www.amazon.c... hose extension

There's a video on that website which is good to watch.

Edited by Wally Z, 23 September 2016 - 09:25 PM.

• Steamboat likes this

2014 17' Casita SD

#8 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,932 posts
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.

Posted 24 September 2016 - 08:20 AM

THe problem with the water pressure regulators is that Someone Whom I Won't Name But It's Not My Husband can never remember to remove it from the city water spigot. :blink: I should buy stock in the company that makes them, I darn well have supported their CEO.

I am not sure what the alarm is under the bed. CO2? Propane? All I know is it's darn fussy and will alarm on things like spilled wine, acetone and rubbing alcohol as well as propane.

#9 Steamboat

Steamboat
  • Casita Club Member
  • 188 posts
  • Local time: 05:38 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2016 17' ID
  • Trailer Name:Steamboat

Posted 24 September 2016 - 08:22 AM

Meadowlark, why couldn't you install the water pressure regulator on the Casita end of the hose? Less chance it will be forgotten.

• Meadowlark likes this

Karl & Norma with Scout "The Wonder Dog"

2013 Honda Pilot AWD - EX-L

#10 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 09:05 AM

THe problem with the water pressure regulators is that Someone Whom I Won't Name But It's Not My Husband can never remember to remove it from the city water spigot. :blink: I should buy stock in the company that makes them, I darn well have supported their CEO.

I am not sure what the alarm is under the bed. CO2? Propane? All I know is it's darn fussy and will alarm on things like spilled wine, acetone and rubbing alcohol as well as propane.

It's for propane. It's CO & not CO2 just for info. purposes.  I installed a Co detector and glad I did. It warned me when my battery was bad and gasing into the trailer. It was parked in my driveway at the time. That's when I changed to a converter with a smart charger and a AGM battery. The battery was my fault because I left it plugged in while on vacation in 90° degree full sunlight and the electrolyte got low.  I assume it was the conditions that caused but not sure.  Was never a problem before and I left it plugged into shore power for two years with stock converter. Only had to add small amount of water to it. 

• Steamboat likes this

2014 17' Casita SD

#11 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,932 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 03:08 PM

Steamboat...I wish they had a emoji for a forehead slap. :rolleyes: This one just doesn't do DUH well enough. ;)

#12 Steamboat

Steamboat
  • Casita Club Member
  • 188 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 04:19 AM

The item I am concerned about is the Surge Protector...relatively expensive and rather easy to steal. Yikes!

#13 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,932 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 08:33 AM

I wouldn't worry too much, Steamboat. I haven't seen a whole lot of theft in campgrounds. Maybe you could lock it to the pedestal??? We keep our spare tire locked up with a bicycle cable lock and they will deter the regular thief (as opposed to a very determined one.). I wish they would put some sort of loop on the surge protectors to prevent theft, but..........

#14 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,434 posts
  • Local time: 04:38 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 26 September 2016 - 11:51 AM

The item I am concerned about is the Surge Protector...relatively expensive and rather easy to steal. Yikes!

Steamboat some Casita owners have hard wired a surge protector inside of their Casita. 

Here are a couple of commercially available anti-theft devices.

https://www.etrailer...12&pc2=CAM55000

https://www.rvupgrad...p-p/55-2767.htm

Here is a DIY theft protection devise.

Attached Thumbnails

• diy surge guard anti theft.jpg

• U.S.M.C. Don and Steamboat like this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#15 Steamboat

Steamboat
  • Casita Club Member
  • 188 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 05:55 PM

Thanks guys! I am not too worried...just thinking out loud...Hope to meet each one of you! :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Newbie