• Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts
  • Local time: 05:58 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17ft. Spirit Exlax
  • Interests:Pole Dancers
  • Trailer Name:Casablanca
  • Casita Club Directory #:69

Posted 28 September 2016 - 03:39 PM

I'm much taller than my wife and she hits that thing more than I do. I guess being tall I'm use to ducking more than she is. The little piece of rubber Casita puts up there doesn't do much good if you really connect. I've got a cordless mini-blind mounted there since I installed opening type window on the door. It gets tagged occasionally by both of us. Think I'll hang a rubber ducky up there as an early warning device. When you see it you'll say to yourself, "Duck!!" :lol2:

Edited by Wally Z, 28 September 2016 - 03:42 PM.

• Meadowlark, Steamboat and Cam like this

2014 17' Casita SD

#32 Steamboat

Steamboat
  • Casita Club Member
  • 188 posts
  • Local time: 08:58 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2016 17' ID
  • Trailer Name:Steamboat

Posted 30 September 2016 - 04:23 AM

Meadowlark...I saw the black rubber Casita installed on the head bonker! LOL Has worked well for me so far! 

• Meadowlark and Cam like this

Karl & Norma with Scout "The Wonder Dog"

2013 Honda Pilot AWD - EX-L

#33 Cam

Cam
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 9 posts
  • Local time: 07:58 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit D / 17
  • Interests:Reading, Downhill Skiing, Fly Fishing and road Trips
  • Trailer Name:Thumper

Posted 05 October 2016 - 01:59 PM

Cam, Okay...we will stand by. Hope to meet you and see your new Casita!

Sorry I missed you guys. I’m afraid I was a little distracted!

#34 Cam

Cam
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 02:15 PM

Well,

The Casita “Thumper” and I survived the trip home from Rice. I only made about two dozen mistakes but none of them too serious. A few things do puzzle me - How do you determine the volume of liquid, etc. in the gray and black tanks (also the fresh water tank)?  Is there a way to determine the charge left in the battery? Do these fall under the aftermarket solutions?

Also, I have absolutely no idea where the name “Thumper” came from! It just popped into my head. Which is scary considering the other things that occasionally pop into my head!

Thank you so much for all of the advice and support!

Cam

#35 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 02:41 PM

Thumper is the name of a rabbit  in the movie Bambi.

On the tank levels, the fresh water you can just open up the outside access door and see the tank. It's transparent enough to see the water level.  The black tank you just lift the lid of toilet seat, press the pedal and look in.  Now the gray tank you can't see it at all. If you are using city water hook ups you need to be a little more careful.  If using the fresh water tank just make sure you dump the gray when the fresh water tank gets close to empty. Gray tank holds more than fresh water tank. If your sinks quit draining then the gray tank is full and you'll need to dump.

You'll get to know after a while on when depending on your individual usage.

The battery can be monitored  with a voltmeter, a simply plug in battery monitor, or a hard wired multi function monitor.

Most folks use the plug in monitors which plug into the trailers cigarette lighter receptacle.

They are fairly inexpensive and do the job. Here's a link to one.

https://www.amazon.c...ry+monitor&th=1

Here's the hard wired multi function monitor I installed.

https://www.amazon.c...battery monitor

Edited by Wally Z, 05 October 2016 - 02:44 PM.

• Meadowlark and Steamboat like this

2014 17' Casita SD

#36 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,419 posts
  • Local time: 08:58 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 06 October 2016 - 06:10 AM

Well,

The Casita “Thumper” and I survived the trip home from Rice. I only made about two dozen mistakes but none of them too serious. A few things do puzzle me - How do you determine the volume of liquid, etc. in the gray and black tanks (also the fresh water tank)?  Is there a way to determine the charge left in the battery? Do these fall under the aftermarket solutions?

Also, I have absolutely no idea where the name “Thumper” came from! It just popped into my head. Which is scary considering the other things that occasionally pop into my head!

Thank you so much for all of the advice and support!

Cam

Wally 

Gave you a lot of good information. I would add that if you plan to do a lot of dry camping, as I suspect you will since you are seeking those secret fishing places, I would recommend you do the venting mod on the gray tank. We dry camp the greatest majority of the time. The biggest limiting factor for us is gray tank capacity. When I did the gray tank vent mod on our Casita we increased it's capacity by 40%.  

We are set up to where we can carry significant extra fresh water via a 55 gallon drum in the bed of the truck and use a 12 volt pump to refill the fresh water tank in the Casita. You will also find yourself getting better at being frugal with your water use. Navy Showers comes to mind. Putting a water turn off valve to the toilet so you can reduce the amount of water used to flush, etc

We do camp in some places that allow or even request you dump your gray water on the adjacent vegetation. With that allowed we are VERY fastidious with what we allow getting into our gray tank. Grease and other food stuff off of plates is forbidden. On a regular basis I run a pretty high concentration of bleach into a fresh full gray tank so we don't have stinky smelly water coming out. 

• Meadowlark, Wally Z, U.S.M.C. Don and 1 other like this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#37 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 07:45 AM

When I prep my black and gray tank after dumping and cleaning I put a couple of gallons of clean water into each. I then add some "Happy Camper" which keeps it smelling nice between trips.  Right before leaving to go camping I add a deodorizer.  I scrape/wipe food and grease from dishes and pans before washing them in the sink. Use lots of Dawn which is great at breaking down grease and oil. I have a tub that fits perfectly into the sink for washing the dishes. Whenever possible I will water the grass. If you have full hook ups you can just walk out and dump the dish water into sewer hook up hole. Dump your coffee grounds into the trash. I don't use bleach in the black tank because it will kill the enzymes from the Happy Camper.

As a side note, on the Happy Camper treatment you get many more treatments than what they say. The Casita tank is only 15 gallons.

This is what I do and use. There are many options and personal preferences that come into play.  This works for me.

Edited by Wally Z, 06 October 2016 - 07:47 AM.

• Meadowlark, Steamboat and Cam like this

2014 17' Casita SD

#38 highplainsdrifter

highplainsdrifter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 32 posts
  • Local time: 06:58 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Dlx 17'
  • Interests:Travel, flyfishing, photography, hiking, backpacking, canoeing
  • Trailer Name:Cassie

Posted 08 October 2016 - 11:43 AM

If you are using city water hook ups you need to be a little more careful.  If using the fresh water tank just make sure you dump the gray when the fresh water tank gets close to empty. Gray tank holds more than fresh water tank.

Wally, I'm kinda new at this Casita thing and losing brain power by the day. Didn't quite understand this part.
Re: city water-more careful about what?
Dumping gray water when fresh water tank gets close to empty-How come?

Also, thanks for the links on the battery monitors! Been thinking about getting one of those.

Bill
  • Cam likes this

#39 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,897 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 08 October 2016 - 12:50 PM

Depending on the size of your water tank, checking its level  it will give you a ball park figure about how much water you've transferred from the water tank to the gray water. I can't remember the gray water tank capacity, but let's say it's 25 gallons. If you have the 25 gallon water tank (which never in my experience has held 25 gallons) and you have not used the toilet but have showered, washed dishes, etc, all that water has been dumped into the gray water tank. If you then refill the water tank and NOT emptied the gray water tank, the only place that extra water can go is...back up into your sink. Or shower. Not nice. Nor sanitary or hygienic.

Now when you're connected to city water, you don't have any idea how much water you've dumped into the gray water tank because it bypasses the  water tank and goes right to gray after use. So you might find yourself again, standing barefoot in nasty gray water (it could be worse, it could be black) because you forgot to empty the gray water tank.

If you go to Little House Customs' website, you can purchase a sticky backed label to install on your water tank that will give you a good idea of how much water you've used. IT won't tell you how much is in the two tanks but it will tell you how much you can figure out is in either or both.

If you plan on dry camping or boondocking for any length of time, you might want to get a bucket to periodically drain the gray water tank. NOT the black, no sir, do NOT drain it on the ground.

Whenever we pull from a campsite, the first thing we do is find a dumpstation, where we dump the black and gray.

Plus we do not shower in the camper, but use the campground facilities if at all possible, and take cat baths when we can't. Also, we do all dishes clean up outside. Most campgrounds have a dishwater disposal tank where you can dump dishwater.  This saves us a lot in gray water tank capacity.

Oh, and the battery monitor is a battery saver. DEFINITELY get one. It plugs into the socket over the bed.

I hope this 'splains things.

Edited by Meadowlark, 08 October 2016 - 12:53 PM.

• Steamboat and Cam like this

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#40 highplainsdrifter

highplainsdrifter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 32 posts
  • Local time: 06:58 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Dlx 17'
  • Interests:Travel, flyfishing, photography, hiking, backpacking, canoeing
  • Trailer Name:Cassie

Posted 09 October 2016 - 08:14 AM

It does, I think I get it now-Thanks so much!!

#41 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 08:42 AM

If you are using city water hook ups you need to be a little more careful.  If using the fresh water tank just make sure you dump the gray when the fresh water tank gets close to empty. Gray tank holds more than fresh water tank.

Wally, I'm kinda new at this Casita thing and losing brain power by the day. Didn't quite understand this part.
Re: city water-more careful about what?
Dumping gray water when fresh water tank gets close to empty-How come?

Also, thanks for the links on the battery monitors! Been thinking about getting one of those.

Bill

Using the fresh water tank you know the amount of water available (limited supply) and unless you refill it before dumping gray water you can't fill your gray water tank with it. Now on city water (hooked up to city water suppy) there is an endless supply of water and you have no way of monitoring how much you use making it easier to fill gray tank to capacity.

On my trailer I ordered the 25 gallon fresh water tank. The gray water tank is 32 gallons. So when your fresh water tank is empty or close to empty the gray water tank will be getting close to being full. The gray tank is rated at 32 gallons but it's been shown and proven they don't fill to capacity because of venting. That's one of the reasons why the vent mod sold by LHC came to be. Hopefully that clears things up for you.  The standard fresh water tank is 16 gallons. On your model trailer 17' deluxe the gray water tank is 32 gallons standard. So technically you could fill and empty your fresh water twice before dumping.  So the morale to the story is just use the same water conservation methods when using fresh water tank and city water hookup.

On trailers older than 2015 that have the shower manual drain valve, over filling gray water tank will cause water to back up in shower drain. I modified my 2014 shower drain with the Hepvo valve modification sold by LHC which eliminates the manual valve and the water backing up potential. No more pulling on that handle in the closet. I believe it was in 2015 the factory started using this modification as standard equipment.  I see you have a 2014 so you might want to do the mod if you haven't already. Would be a good time to do the gray tank vent mod also.

Edited by Wally Z, 09 October 2016 - 08:59 AM.

• highplainsdrifter and Cam like this

2014 17' Casita SD

#42 Cam

Cam
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 06:53 PM

Thumper is the name of a rabbit  in the movie Bambi.

On the tank levels, the fresh water you can just open up the outside access door and see the tank. It's transparent enough to see the water level.  The black tank you just lift the lid of toilet seat, press the pedal and look in.  Now the gray tank you can't see it at all. If you are using city water hook ups you need to be a little more careful.  If using the fresh water tank just make sure you dump the gray when the fresh water tank gets close to empty. Gray tank holds more than fresh water tank. If your sinks quit draining then the gray tank is full and you'll need to dump.

You'll get to know after a while on when depending on your individual usage.

The battery can be monitored  with a voltmeter, a simply plug in battery monitor, or a hard wired multi function monitor.

Most folks use the plug in monitors which plug into the trailers cigarette lighter receptacle.

They are fairly inexpensive and do the job. Here's a link to one.

https://www.amazon.c...ry+monitor&th=1

Here's the hard wired multi function monitor I installed.

https://www.amazon.c...battery monitor

Thank you Wally! That helps a lot! I did realize that the name “Thumper” was from Bambi. I just couldn’t figure out why it popped into my head when I saw my new Casita!

Where is the cigarette lighter receptacle in the Casita?

My wife, Ann, and I just took Thumper on it’s maiden voyage to Steamboat Springs and Saratoga, WY. We had a great time, caught a bunch of fish and met some wonderful people. We didn’t make too many mistakes.

Cam

#43 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 08:18 PM

My factory installed 12vdc cigarette lighter receptacle is mounted under the rear curb side cabinet above the corner shelf. Where the 120vac outlet and TV antenna stuff is.  I installed another one on the seat of the side dinette for plugging stuff into near the table. I use it for charging phones and my portable Fantastic Fan.

2014 17' Casita SD

#44 Cam

Cam
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 06:09 PM

My factory installed 12vdc cigarette lighter receptacle is mounted under the rear curb side cabinet above the corner shelf. Where the 120vac outlet and TV antenna stuff is.  I installed another one on the seat of the side dinette for plugging stuff into near the table. I use it for charging phones and my portable Fantastic Fan.

I need to check to see if I have one. No one at Casita mentioned it. Thanks for all of your help Wally! I really appreciate it.

Cam

#45 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,897 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 13 October 2016 - 10:08 AM

I might be showing my age a little, but "Thumper" is also the name soldiers gave to the M79 grenade launcher.  I never got to fire it, and in retrospect, I prefer the cute rabbit (who got "twitterpated" when he met a lovely girl rabbit) than the gun.

Thumper after the kiss.JPG

And the aforementioned launcher.

Thumper.JPG

Edited by Meadowlark, 13 October 2016 - 10:13 AM.

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Advice