• Casita Club Member
  • 9 posts
  • Local time: 06:54 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit D / 17
  • Interests:Reading, Downhill Skiing, Fly Fishing and road Trips
  • Trailer Name:Thumper

Posted 22 September 2016 - 02:36 PM

Hi All,

My name is Cam and I live in Boulder, CO. I’m looking forward to being a member of this site, getting to know you all and learning about owning a Casita. I’m brand new to this and will likely need all the help I can get!

I pick up my new Casita, Spirit Deluxe next week. Thus, my first question - What should I take with me to make the 2 or 3 day trip home with my new Casita more enjoyable. I suspect there are things I haven’t even considered beyond the basics like sheets, TP, etc.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!

Cam

#2 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts
  • Local time: 04:54 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17ft. Spirit Exlax
  • Interests:Pole Dancers
  • Trailer Name:Casablanca
  • Casita Club Directory #:69

Posted 22 September 2016 - 03:30 PM

Welcome to the forum from Texas. I'll let others make suggestions on what to take with you.

• Cam likes this

2014 17' Casita SD

#3 Cam

Cam
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 03:37 PM

Hi Wally,

Great to meet you! Thanks for the welcome. I’m guessing most things boil down to common sense and - maybe learning by trial and error is a good thing. I just hate when common sense fails me and I have to “learn” things a half dozen times before they sink in !

Cam

• Wally Z likes this

#4 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,257 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 22 September 2016 - 06:20 PM

Cam - as little as possible. You can "customize" your new Casita at leisure when you are home. Primary is to spend one night near the factory and check all systems, heater, AC, water pumps, frig, etc., as well as the trailer itself. If anything is amiss, Casita is very good at quickly correcting any problems.  Tougher to do once far away.  Be sure to record or note the check-out procedure. Lots of information coming your way when you take delivery, especially when  you are excited with your new rig.

For your way home, basic issues like you mention, TP,  blankets and/or some basic bedding, basic food. Some wheel chocks if you plan to disconnect enroute. Buy a few gallons of water for use.  Casita recommends you clean the fresh water tank, what's the word for it, sterilize? with some clorox before filling. You might want to have the propane tanks filled so you can check your frig on propane while on the road home. BE SURE to fill the hot water tank with water before using the electric water heater.  You can turn off the electric heat with a button outside, have the staff show you.

Then travel home an begin to enjoy your new Casita.  Congrats!

Dutchman 

• Steamboat and Cam like this

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#5 Ros M

Ros M
  • Casita Club Member
  • 151 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:none

Posted 22 September 2016 - 08:51 PM

And don't forget a pressure regulator for hook up to water at the campgrounds. You would be surprised hpw many RV parks have a high PSI.
  • Cam likes this

#6 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 08:54 PM

And don't forget a pressure regulator for hook up to water at the campgrounds. You would be surprised hpw many RV parks have a high PSI.

They use to give you a pressure regulator when you pick up the trailer. I assume they still do.

• Cam likes this

2014 17' Casita SD

#7 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 08:57 PM

Cam, there are loads of videos on the Casita. Google search, "Casita Orientation" and go through those. Here's a couple to get you started.

Edited by Wally Z, 22 September 2016 - 08:59 PM.

• Cam likes this

2014 17' Casita SD

#8 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 09:11 PM

Those videos are old so some of the things they talk about have changed. Nothing to worry about because they will do a walk around with you when you pick yours up.  They won't let you leave until they have your tow vehicle and trailer set up properly.

• Cam likes this

2014 17' Casita SD

#9 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,419 posts
  • Local time: 07:54 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 23 September 2016 - 04:33 AM

go purchase something to keep the door safe from getting damaged as you exit and a wind gust grabs the door 

some use a domed shaped bumper, others like my self chose a flat disk to protect the door.

the damage is when the door gets away from your grip and slings open at a high rate of speed and hits the "belly band"  

here is what  I use, it is a flat disc that is placed on the door at the potential point of contact.

http://www.homedepot...-9243/100209221

the picture is of U.S.M.C. Don's door

Attached Thumbnails

• door bumper.jpg

• Meadowlark, U.S.M.C. Don and Steamboat like this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#10 highplainsdrifter

highplainsdrifter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 32 posts
  • Local time: 05:54 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Dlx 17'
  • Interests:Travel, flyfishing, photography, hiking, backpacking, canoeing
  • Trailer Name:Cassie

Posted 23 September 2016 - 05:27 AM

Welcome Cam, good to see another Coloradan and a flyfisher! Go with the basics and take a note pad with you to write down ideas, things you decide you'll need in the future. Best way to figure out additions/modifications other than looking on here is by using your Casita.

Good luck!
Bill

Edited by highplainsdrifter, 23 September 2016 - 05:34 AM.

• Wally Z and Cam like this

#11 Cam

Cam
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 10:15 AM

Wow! Thank you everyone! I’m excited to pick up my Casita and excited to be part of this great group! Great advice and things I definitely wouldn’t have considered. I typically am one of those people who learn through mistakes. I’m a little afraid that my new investment might not survive that process!

Thanks again!

Cam

• Wally Z likes this

#12 Steamboat

Steamboat
  • Casita Club Member
  • 188 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2016 17' ID
  • Trailer Name:Steamboat

Posted 24 September 2016 - 08:08 AM

Cam - as little as possible. You can "customize" your new Casita at leisure when you are home. Primary is to spend one night near the factory and check all systems, heater, AC, water pumps, frig, etc., as well as the trailer itself. If anything is amiss, Casita is very good at quickly correcting any problems.  Tougher to do once far away.  Be sure to record or note the check-out procedure. Lots of information coming your way when you take delivery, especially when  you are excited with your new rig.

For your way home, basic issues like you mention, TP,  blankets and/or some basic bedding, basic food. Some wheel chocks if you plan to disconnect enroute. Buy a few gallons of water for use.  Casita recommends you clean the fresh water tank, what's the word for it, sterilize? with some clorox before filling. You might want to have the propane tanks filled so you can check your frig on propane while on the road home. BE SURE to fill the hot water tank with water before using the electric water heater.  You can turn off the electric heat with a button outside, have the staff show you.

Then travel home an begin to enjoy your new Casita.  Congrats!

Dutchman 

Shouldn't the propane tanks be "purged" before filling?

Karl & Norma with Scout "The Wonder Dog"

2013 Honda Pilot AWD - EX-L

#13 Steamboat

Steamboat
  • Casita Club Member
  • 188 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 08:10 AM

go purchase something to keep the door safe from getting damaged as you exit and a wind gust grabs the door 

some use a domed shaped bumper, others like my self chose a flat disk to protect the door.

the damage is when the door gets away from your grip and slings open at a high rate of speed and hits the "belly band"  

here is what  I use, it is a flat disc that is placed on the door at the potential point of contact.

http://www.homedepot...-9243/100209221

the picture is of U.S.M.C. Don's door

I thought the door "latch" was now a standard feature on the new Casitas. Am I wrong? Hmmm....

#14 Steamboat

Steamboat
  • Casita Club Member
  • 188 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 08:15 AM

Hi All,

My name is Cam and I live in Boulder, CO. I’m looking forward to being a member of this site, getting to know you all and learning about owning a Casita. I’m brand new to this and will likely need all the help I can get!

I pick up my new Casita, Spirit Deluxe next week. Thus, my first question - What should I take with me to make the 2 or 3 day trip home with my new Casita more enjoyable. I suspect there are things I haven’t even considered beyond the basics like sheets, TP, etc.

Cam

Cam, what day will you pick up your new Casita SD? We will be there Tuesday...and nearby at Lake Bardwell for a couple of days. It is good advice to camp near the Casita factory for at least a night or two...and Lake Bardwell is close-by and very nice. We visited both camping areas (there are two, but the one on the western side closes Oct.1) both are nice! Maybe we will get to introduce ourselves...we are Norma (She Who Must Be Obeyed) and Karl (the chauffeur) and Scout the WonderDog! Scout knows 28 commands...10 more than the chauffeur!

#15 Cam

Cam
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 09:23 AM

Hi All,

Cam

Cam, what day will you pick up your new Casita SD? We will be there Tuesday...and nearby at Lake Bardwell for a couple of days. It is good advice to camp near the Casita factory for at least a night or two...and Lake Bardwell is close-by and very nice. We visited both camping areas (there are two, but the one on the western side closes Oct.1) both are nice! Maybe we will get to introduce ourselves...we are Norma (She Who Must Be Obeyed) and Karl (the chauffeur) and Scout the WonderDog! Scout knows 28 commands...10 more than the chauffeur!

Hi Norma and Karl and Scout!

I’ll be there on Wednesday and I was planning on staying close by that night. I was just going to stay in Corsicana (where the factory recommended). I’ll check the lake out. It would be great to meet up. I’ll let you know where I land.

Cam

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Advice