• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,291 posts
  • Local time: 10:06 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 24 September 2016 - 07:10 PM

I had no idea dead pigs would be happy in sunshine....

We had the same experience, Rob, with our 2011 Tundra. My husband had a 96 Ford Ranger and I had the 99 Taco, and we knew neither one would pull the 17' SD so we went 'big' with the Tundra.
At first I was astounded..this thing is a behemoth. It's the freaking Queen Mary. Much too much? I felt embarassed...but then we took our big trip to Rice. That's when she proved herself. We drove down to Rice from WA through the Blues, which were snowy. No one gives much credit to the Blue Mountains but there are spots that scare me spitless, and I'm used to driving in the mountains. The Tundra had no problems whatsoever.

Two days before our pickup appointment at Casita, in Kearney, NE,  my husband's back went out BIG time. He was bent over like a paper clip and could not straighten up. My poor dear man, there was nothing I could do to ease his pain. So he crawled in to the big back seat of the Tundra and I drove to Rice where we picked up Grus Egg. If we'd not had all the room in the back he wouldn't have been able to heal up. You know when they take your picture of you with your new Casita at the factory? In it, my husband can barely stand up straight, you can see the pain on his face but only because he was able to ride in the back seat was he able to function at all.

Then on the way home to WA, we took the western route through Big Oil country in TX. I have never seen such insane drivers in my life. These huge oil tanker trucks PASSING us on a two lane road, going 85 miles per hour, and the Tundra hardly budged. You could not...and still can't...tell you're towing the Casita.

So, yeah, it's a big a$$ truck that we use virtually only to tow the Casita (and to get us through heavy snow) and I wouldn't be without it for anything.

Edited by Meadowlark, 24 September 2016 - 07:10 PM.

• NASA42 B, Wally Z and Steamboat like this

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#17 rodgerintx

rodgerintx
  • Casita Club Member
  • 7 posts
  • Local time: 01:06 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty 17
  • Interests:Reading, birding, photography, travel
  • Trailer Name:TwoSita

Posted 26 September 2016 - 05:45 AM

Regarding the Tahoe's error report in the readout: A simple fix for us was to REALLY tighten the connection at the tow vehicle's bumper. When we complained about the same problem the Tahoe is having, the Ford service manager where we bought our 2016 F-150 insisted that our Casita's connector was faulty. I told him the same connector worked fine on the 2013 F-150 we had just traded in. So he got his electronics guy to look at it and the fix was this: shove the connection as tight as you can and then wrap a zip tie around the connector and the latch lid. That stopped the error message on the dash and we were on our way. After a month or so and 3K miles I tried going without the zip tie. No problem for another 8K miles. I think some new 7-pin connectors may need some breaking in.

• Meadowlark and Steamboat like this

#18 therio

therio
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 27 posts
  • Local time: 01:06 PM

Posted 25 October 2016 - 04:18 AM

Don't know if anyone is interested but I thought I would share the end of this story.  Wally Z was on the right track with regard to grounds.  

I took the trailer to a local RV repair shop that had done some work for me before and seemed satisfactory.  They told me they inspected the brakes and replaced some wire connectors that seemed questionable, hooked the trailer up to their truck, drove it around and found no problem.  I picked up the trailer from the RV shop and the problem still existed.

Believing the RV mechanic, I took the car and trailer back to the Chevy dealer and asked them to thoroughly check the factory-installed brake controller as I was able to silence the chime by removing the brake controller fuse.  They spent considerable time going over the car and trailer and pointed out two grounding straps on the Casita located below the battery compartment (which I had never seen) that were corroded.  They also found areas on the brake wires where the insulation had been worn away.  They performed all of this under the new car guarantee and it cost me nothing.

I took the trailer home and spent several hours removing the ground straps and cleaning the frame and reconnecting the terminals.  Then, I took the trailer to my regular tire store to check on the brakes.  The magnets on both were worn and neither was working.  Both brakes were replaced and no more chime!

So the moral of the story is that I have a Chevy dealer with a good service department and I need to find a better RV mechanic.

Thanks to all for your comments and I hope no other Casita owner has a similar problem

• Meadowlark and NASA42 B like this

#19 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,291 posts
  • Local time: 10:06 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 27 October 2016 - 08:43 AM

Welll, if any of us does, you have shone a light on a possible solution. Thank you! That's what this website is all about...helping others out. I know there are times I look at a problem and no amount of head scratching evokes a solution...and I mention something about it here and someone says, try this..and bingo, that's it!!

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."