• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 doubledipper

doubledipper
  • Casita Club Member
  • 151 posts
  • Local time: 01:00 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2010 17' Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Camping of course. Mustang Club of America member. Retired Firefighter. Hiking. Biking.

Posted 18 September 2016 - 05:08 AM

Just visited a campground ,Ho-Hum, in Carrabelle, FL. It's on the Gulf with very reasonable rates year round. It's clean and has all the hook-ups, water sewer electric and cable. About 20 miles to Apalachicola and St George St. Park. It's on the "Forgotten Coast" with beautiful beaches and no crowds. The campground does not have a sandy beach, just a rocky coastline but nice beaches close by. If you want the crowds and action of Panama City/Destin this is not for you.

#2 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,898 posts
  • Local time: 10:00 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 18 September 2016 - 08:46 AM

Wasn't that in the path of Hurricane Hermine? Did it sustain any damage?

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#3 doubledipper

doubledipper
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 151 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2010 17' Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Camping of course. Mustang Club of America member. Retired Firefighter. Hiking. Biking.

Posted 19 September 2016 - 11:55 AM

Very Little damage, mostly just limbs etc. I think the area to the east was the hardest hit.

#4 TumaloTed

TumaloTed
  • Casita Club Member
  • 25 posts
  • Local time: 11:00 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2016 17 Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:2012 Toyota Highlander
    2011 Jayco Eagle 28ft. TT
    2010 Chevy 2500 Silverado
    Member: Good Sam, Escapees, Elks
    Winters spent at jojobohills.com

Posted 28 September 2016 - 11:04 AM

Been to Florida 3x and stayed at Ho-Hum each time on our way east.  We always ask for a waterfront spot,  but they do have biting gnats there!

#5 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,898 posts
  • Local time: 10:00 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 29 September 2016 - 03:01 PM

That doesn't sound very hohum to me! Gnats are no fun!

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#6 Fred&Holly

Fred&Holly
  • Casita Club Member
  • 236 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Independence 17'

Posted 05 August 2018 - 11:11 PM

We just got back from 11 days on what we call the "FL Mosquitoe Coast" too..Cape San Blas/T H Stone park.   While there we visited Indian Pass CG (unimpressive) and St Goerge Island CG (nice beach there) . We missed checking out Ho-Hum tho. 

The CG at T H Stone was basically nice ..we stayed at 'Shady Pines' bks we THOUIGHT we wanted shade. . The other CG there was called "Gulf Breeze"..way too sunny in 95+* heat for us. tho it was only minimally closer to the beach than Shady Pines. 

The whole park has about 12 miles of  open Gulf sandy beach w shallow water for swimming and also sits on the St Joe Bay: .very calm for kyaking and swimming too. Basically a quiet nice park, far from bustle of FL's " Redbneck Rivierra"

We ran into two big problems early on...#1.  old bathouse  facilities [and dirty, manily inadequate pest screening & w NO ventilation fans] & only 2 toilets in our close bathouse and one was "out of order" for 10 days..this was inadequate for the number of sites (60)  since the other bathouse was further away and it only had two toilets in the mens...  This was a total of 3 toilets for 60 sites..many occupants of which were 'tenters' w no bathrooms of their own.

My wife said both women's bathouses had three functioning toilets each...  Why do parks keep on putting urinals in "mens"  when a toilet takes up the same space as a toilet and functuions for both #1 and #2 ??  I and several other campers complained to staff about the single toilet and we were told it was bks they had too "low water pressure." Duh??

The other problem was mosquitoes..big ones and mean...no way to take a walk or even walk to the beach w/o dozens of bites unless you slather "OFF" all over.   Then the 4th day came the rains wh lasted for most of the next 3 days.  By day  2 of rain, the swamp water had risen and it was only 3' from our camper on 2 sides and half the other campsites were almost 75% under water..& SOME HAD WATER THAT WAS A FOOT DEEP!  Many folks headed out early.    We stayed [dry] and finally figured out that we could run for the truck and drive 2 miles to the remote beach access to avoid 90% of the mosquitoes.  The rising water finally also brought the invasion of fire ants..1000s of the tiny critters  but packing a mean bite.   

Don't get me wrong..I love FL in February but ...all in all we decided that Florida in summer was off our bucket list!  ;-)

Edited by Fred&Holly, 05 August 2018 - 11:18 PM.

#7 vermilye

vermilye
  • Casita Club Member
  • 407 posts
  • Local time: 02:00 PM
  • Interests:Photography, travel

Posted 09 August 2018 - 05:17 AM

We just got back from 11 days on what we call the "FL Mosquitoe Coast" too..Cape San Blas/T H Stone park.   While there we visited Indian Pass CG (unimpressive) and St Goerge Island CG (nice beach there) . We missed checking out Ho-Hum tho. 

The CG at T H Stone was basically nice ..we stayed at 'Shady Pines' bks we THOUIGHT we wanted shade. . The other CG there was called "Gulf Breeze"..way too sunny in 95+* heat for us. tho it was only minimally closer to the beach than Shady Pines. 

The whole park has about 12 miles of  open Gulf sandy beach w shallow water for swimming and also sits on the St Joe Bay: .very calm for kyaking and swimming too. Basically a quiet nice park, far from bustle of FL's " Redbneck Rivierra"

We ran into two big problems early on...#1.  old bathouse  facilities [and dirty, manily inadequate pest screening & w NO ventilation fans] & only 2 toilets in our close bathouse and one was "out of order" for 10 days..this was inadequate for the number of sites (60)  since the other bathouse was further away and it only had two toilets in the mens...  This was a total of 3 toilets for 60 sites..many occupants of which were 'tenters' w no bathrooms of their own.

My wife said both women's bathouses had three functioning toilets each...  Why do parks keep on putting urinals in "mens"  when a toilet takes up the same space as a toilet and functuions for both #1 and #2 ??  I and several other campers complained to staff about the single toilet and we were told it was bks they had too "low water pressure." Duh??

The other problem was mosquitoes..big ones and mean...no way to take a walk or even walk to the beach w/o dozens of bites unless you slather "OFF" all over.   Then the 4th day came the rains wh lasted for most of the next 3 days.  By day  2 of rain, the swamp water had risen and it was only 3' from our camper on 2 sides and half the other campsites were almost 75% under water..& SOME HAD WATER THAT WAS A FOOT DEEP!  Many folks headed out early.    We stayed [dry] and finally figured out that we could run for the truck and drive 2 miles to the remote beach access to avoid 90% of the mosquitoes.  The rising water finally also brought the invasion of fire ants..1000s of the tiny critters  but packing a mean bite.   

Don't get me wrong..I love FL in February but ...all in all we decided that Florida in summer was off our bucket list!  ;-)

This is why I head for Quartzsite, AZ for the winter.  No ocean, but no rain or bugs!