• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Shelia

Shelia
  • Casita Club Member
  • 36 posts
  • Local time: 01:00 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Wannabe Casita 16 Liberty
  • Interests:Nature, smooth jazz, blues (esp 1920s - 1940s), dulcimer, folk music, DOGS, Choctaw/Irish heritage, American Pioneer history – Native American history

Posted 07 September 2016 - 01:58 PM

I was checking out the website for Texas Park passes and it doesn't seem like it really gives you that much of a discount for camp sites.  Am I reading it wrong?  I guess any discount is good.  Do you have one or have you had one?  What do you think?

#2 U.S.M.C. Don

U.S.M.C. Don
  • Casita Club Member
  • 49 posts
  • Local time: 08:00 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 SD

Posted 07 September 2016 - 02:11 PM

We like ours because it saves us the daily entry fee at every state park. We often camp off-season at a reduced rate (as low as $65 for seven days with FHU and WiFi). The Pass alone saves us $35 (7 days X $5 daily entrance fee). Using it for just 14 days a year gets us our investment back. When traveling (with or without our trailer) we can still enter any state park for the day (to swim, fish, hike, explore, or have a picnic, use the showers or bathrooms, visit our camping friends..) at no cost. Additionally, the parks pass provides a 5% to 10% discount at the state park stores ( supplies, souvenirs, ice, cold drinks, snacks, firewood, equipment/boat rental, etc.) Our state park pass included a two-night reduced rate bonus that we saved until we visited a more expensive state park and used it there to save  $$$ (like having two free nights). Check out other benefits @ http://tpwd.texas.go...sses/sppass-faq

All in all, we consider it a wise investment for saving money while camping and traveling in Texas. We buy one every year.

I hope this helps!

Edited by U.S.M.C. Don, 07 September 2016 - 02:29 PM.

• clover likes this

#3 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts
  • Local time: 11:00 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17ft. Spirit Exlax
  • Interests:Pole Dancers
  • Trailer Name:Casablanca
  • Casita Club Directory #:69

Posted 07 September 2016 - 04:48 PM

I just have the senior pass which reduces entry fees by 50% and doesn't have to be renewed. Only good for the holder.

2014 17' Casita SD

#4 The Cozy Egg

The Cozy Egg
  • Casita Club Member
  • 87 posts
  • Local time: 02:00 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty 17 Deluxe
  • Interests:Play chess, relax fishing, kayaking.
  • Trailer Name:Cozy Pawn

Posted 07 September 2016 - 05:02 PM

When you buy the park pass they give you one night at no cost for two stay of more than one night.  That would off set the cost of the pass about $40.00.  Making the pass about $30 with also the day use fee wavered for each stay.  And it does help the park that sells you the pass.

• clover and U.S.M.C. Don like this

#5 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,583 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 08 September 2016 - 06:00 AM

Ditto on all that Don & Cozy Egg pointed out.

It is worth every penny IF you use it several times each year. 

We use ours a lot. Dinosaur Valley State Park is very close to where we live. We hike the trails often when the river is not up to high. My young son often brings a couple of his friends along so that gets them in as well when the are riding with us. 

We are big fans of Texas State Parks and visit them often. 

• U.S.M.C. Don likes this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#6 Shelia

Shelia
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 36 posts
  • Local time: 01:00 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Wannabe Casita 16 Liberty
  • Interests:Nature, smooth jazz, blues (esp 1920s - 1940s), dulcimer, folk music, DOGS, Choctaw/Irish heritage, American Pioneer history – Native American history

Posted 08 September 2016 - 02:39 PM

I'm a big fan of Texas parks as well, it just doesn't seem to save much just on camping fees to me.  So that I understand, it saves you $5.00 per night for camping fees?  So $20 a night instead of $25 per night.  50% off the second night if you stay in the same place?  Blackout dates apply - does that mean holidays and summers you're out of luck?

Free entry into the parks.  Do they actually charge just to go into the park?

And then this confuses me:  If you are 65 years old or older and are a Texas resident, you qualify for the Senior Partial passport good at Texas state parks that charge entry fees. With this pass, you pay 50 percent off the entry fee rounded to the next whole dollar. For example, if the entry fee is $3, you will pay $2.

I think I must be thinking of the senior pass that saves 50% when I think of Texas pass only saving $5.  Set me straight here.

#7 CC-John

CC-John

Iconoclast

• Rally Organizer
  • 696 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Casita 17SD
  • Interests:Classic Fiberglass Boats, Hot Babes, Fine Cigars, & Good Whiskey
  • Trailer Name:No Tell Motel & Cigar Lounge

Posted 08 September 2016 - 04:44 PM

I'm a big fan of Texas parks as well, it just doesn't seem to save much just on camping fees to me.  So that I understand, it saves you $5.00 per night for camping fees?  So $20 a night instead of $25 per night.  50% off the second night if you stay in the same place?  Blackout dates apply - does that mean holidays and summers you're out of luck?

Free entry into the parks.  Do they actually charge just to go into the park?

And then this confuses me:  If you are 65 years old or older and are a Texas resident, you qualify for the Senior Partial passport good at Texas state parks that charge entry fees. With this pass, you pay 50 percent off the entry fee rounded to the next whole dollar. For example, if the entry fee is $3, you will pay $2.

I think I must be thinking of the senior pass that saves 50% when I think of Texas pass only saving $5.  Set me straight here.

All Texas State Parks charge an entry fee of $5 to $7 per person, per day in addition to any campsite fees.. The annual pass waives those entry fees for up to eight people in your vehicle/RV for as many days as you stay in the park, it DOES NOT discount the actual campsite fees..

• Shelia likes this

CC-John

"I void warranties"

FGRV #1 1973 Century Resorter 16 - Powered by Chrysler LM318 225HP V-8

BOAT PICS

FGRV #2 2007 Casita 17SD - Powered by Onan CampPower 2500LP

CASITA PICS

#8 U.S.M.C. Don

U.S.M.C. Don
  • Casita Club Member
  • 49 posts
  • Local time: 08:00 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 SD

Posted 08 September 2016 - 05:18 PM

According to their website http://tpwd.texas.go...sses/sppass-faq:

"Camping Discounts- with the purchase of the primary TSPP, 4 discounted camping nights are held in the TxParks system. Discount is for 50% off the second night, when staying two or more nights in a campsite or regular screen shelter."

We usually "save" these for when we visit a more "expensive" state park like on the coast during the early summer or a very popular park near a big city (i.e. Cedar Hill State Park). Two nights FHU at Cedar Hill State Park is only $45 with our pass. $30 1st night + $15 2nd night (50% discount) + $0 daily entry fees. Averages about $22.50 a night. Without the pass $30 1st night + $30 2nd night + $10 daily entry fees = $70 for a weekend camping trip. Averages about $35 a night.

I hope this helps!

Edited by U.S.M.C. Don, 08 September 2016 - 05:33 PM.

• Steamboat and Shelia like this

#9 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,583 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 09 September 2016 - 05:15 AM

The last time I used the 50% off for the second night, was at Bastrop State Park and it was in June. So the discount was during prime time. 

Look into getting your geezer pass that gives you 50% off in COE campgrounds, BLM, National Parks and National Forests. There are lots of nice COE campgrounds in Texas. Example I can stay at one of the very nice campgrounds at Belton  Lake for $11 per night.

• U.S.M.C. Don and Shelia like this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#10 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts
  • Local time: 11:00 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17ft. Spirit Exlax
  • Interests:Pole Dancers
  • Trailer Name:Casablanca
  • Casita Club Directory #:69

Posted 09 September 2016 - 06:38 AM

It's all explained very well on this website:

http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/

2014 17' Casita SD

#11 Dennis The Menace

Dennis The Menace
  • Casita Club Member
  • 286 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' liberty
  • Interests:USMC,Traveling,people,
    light houses,
    fishing,sport shooting
    ,visiting old forts,History,
    motorcycles,eating,camping.
  • Trailer Name:it is what it is

Posted 09 September 2016 - 07:15 PM

If we don't support our Texas State Parks, we cant complain when they go away or are turned over to private
companies to run with very high prices to boot.
Thank God our only camping options isn't private campgrounds. Most of us would never be able to camp.
Dennis
  • CC-John, Wally Z and Shelia like this

Dennis and Bess
RV: 2011 17' Casita Liberty  "it is what it is "
TV: 2005 Grey Chevolet Tahoe 5.3 V8 replaced with 2016 cherry red, RAM Bighorn 5.7 V8 CC pickup.
Curt class IV hitch, Curt Anti sway bar,T-P3 brake controller, Cobra 29 CB & weather radio.

"Once in awhile it really hits people that they don't have to experience the world

in the way they have been told to.  -Alan Keightley

#12 PerfectCasita

PerfectCasita
  • After-Market Product Supplier
  • 413 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:None

Posted 06 October 2016 - 03:15 PM

We bought the pass back on Sept 18 - and we are already ahead.

That is after just 6 days of camping.

We are also saving the 50% discount bits for later (more expensive) campsites.

Jim + Clare

• Shelia likes this
Orbital Machine Works online store
http://www.perfectcasita.com