Librarianocnj
  • Casita Club Member
  • 79 posts
  • Local time: 06:18 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Independence
  • Interests:Bicycling, Fly Fishing, Kayak Fishing, Reading
  • Trailer Name:Callimachusita

Posted 28 August 2016 - 07:21 AM

I've searched images and posts but haven't been able to find an answer. If I want to run a solar wire from the controller inside the trailer into the battery compartment, can I just drill a hole, run the wire in, and seal it with something or is there some sort of connector that I need to put inside and outside of the battery compartment
Gordon and Anne
2010 Suzuki Equator "Suzi Q"
2015 Casita Independence "Callimachusita"
Pod Puppies: Josie and Frankie
Casita Kittens: Madison & Razzel & Mrs. Chow

#2 flcoxjr

flcoxjr
  • Casita Club Member
  • 205 posts
  • Local time: 05:18 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2015 Spirit Deluxe 17

Posted 28 August 2016 - 08:01 AM

I just drilled a hole, routed the wire through it, and then used Sugru to seal the hole and protect the wire insulation from the sharp edges of the hole.

Edited by flcoxjr, 28 August 2016 - 08:02 AM.

#3 Mark Watson

Mark Watson
  • Casita Club Member
  • 570 posts
  • Local time: 04:18 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 FD 17

Posted 28 August 2016 - 10:07 PM

I hooked my TWO wires from the solar controller (mounted in the 30 amp power plug compartment) to the + an - posts on the power center. Ran the wires from the solar controller behind the water heater and through the water pump access door on my Freedom Deluxe. Not permanently attached to + and - terminals yet. I use alligator clips to attach to + and - posts.

• Steamboat likes this

Mark Watson

Houston,Tx
2008 17' FD

#4 JimRHuff

JimRHuff
  • Casita Club Member
  • 7 posts
  • Local time: 03:18 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2002 17' Liberty Deluxe
  • Interests:Photography, wilderness, traveling in my Casita,chasing ducks.
  • Trailer Name:Juanita

Posted 25 March 2017 - 10:45 PM

I have 3 each 50 watt solar panels mounted on the roof of my 2002 17' Liberty Deluxe.  I did drill an access hole on the roof to route the panels to the controller located inside. I wired the whole system with 2 conductor 10 Gauge cable from West Marine.  This solar system is designed for 15A DC including the controller.  At high noon, I can get up to 8Amps out of this system.  For wiring, I ran a 10 gauge cable from the battery to a 15A fuse, then to the controller.  I used existing holes to run the battery wire.  If interested in details with photos, let me know.  Oh yeh, I upgraded the battery to an AGM style.  Lithium batteries are now available but they are really expensive.  An AGM is twice the cost or more of a normal car battery but wow! the AGM performs really well and is maintenance free.

#5 marilyn

marilyn
  • Casita Club Member
  • 41 posts
  • Local time: 02:18 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2002 Spirit Deluxe 17
  • Interests:crocheting, nature, new experiences, singing karaoke,
    mah jongg, golf, novice kayaker
  • Trailer Name:Prikolica
  • Casita Club Directory #:#2527

Posted 03 April 2017 - 09:50 PM

Hi,

I just bought Renogy suitcase portable 60W solar panels and had hookup installed.  They cut off the alligator ends, attached a 7 pin plug and I just plug in with the Casita electrical hookup.  No drilling.... Don't know if you are installing on roof?  Mine are portable...FWIW.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do....

marilyn

Edited by marilyn, 03 April 2017 - 09:55 PM.

• ShereeMMG likes this
“Prikolica” - 2002 Spirit Deluxe 17’
Casita Member Directory: #2527

#6 ShereeMMG

ShereeMMG
  • Casita Club Member
  • 7 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2018 17' Liberty Deluxe

Posted 09 May 2018 - 05:55 AM

Hi Marilyn,

Who is the 'they' that wired the solar panel to a 7 pin connector. I think I want to do this as well.

#7 vermilye

vermilye
  • Casita Club Member
  • 391 posts
  • Interests:Photography, travel

Posted 09 May 2018 - 07:09 AM

While a small panel (under 25 - 30 watts or so) can be connected directly to a 7 pin trailer plug (Pin #1 ground, Pin #4 Hot), anything larger should go through a solar controller, which, if you use the trailer's pigtail, would have to be panel mounted. You will lose a bit of power transferred from the panel to the batteries because of the longer wiring run but it is convenient.  

#8 marilyn

marilyn
  • Casita Club Member
  • 41 posts
  • Local time: 02:18 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2002 Spirit Deluxe 17
  • Interests:crocheting, nature, new experiences, singing karaoke,
    mah jongg, golf, novice kayaker
  • Trailer Name:Prikolica
  • Casita Club Directory #:#2527

Posted 08 August 2018 - 12:22 PM

Hi Sheree, sorry to not see your question til today. 

It was a little local RV repair, who have since retired.  "Bob's Quality RV" in Surprise, AZ.  Used them for the last 20 years and miss them!   They could do anything ...very honest and fair priced.  Think one or two of the sons are working for "Van's Trailer Sales" located on Bell Road in Surprise, AZ.    BUT I imagine you could go to any repair shop and have them snip the alligator ends of your

solar panel wires  and install the 7 plug end? I am not savvy,  just told them that I didn't want to have to access the battery every time I wanted to connect the solar panel to clip on the alligator ends....  Mission was accomplished and I'm happy.  Hope it helps.....????  Good Luck!

marilyn

Edited by marilyn, 08 August 2018 - 12:24 PM.

“Prikolica” - 2002 Spirit Deluxe 17’
Casita Member Directory: #2527