Photo

How To...convert Dim Tail/turn/stop Lights To Led?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 xbassman

xbassman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 25 posts
  • Local time: 03:27 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe 16'
  • Interests:Reloading, long range target shooting, prarie dog hunting.
  • Trailer Name:"Lonesome Dove"

Posted 26 August 2016 - 07:05 PM

Is there a plug and play bulb I can install in the tail light assembly (one bulb dual filament) on my 92 Casita Spirit to convert to LED? This one bulb operates running, turn and brake lights n flasher. Old style - round base with lugs/pins on each side. Remember someone saying something about a voltage reducer needed???? Will I need a heavy duty flasher if the conversion is possible? An Etrailer stock # would be nice.

#2 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts
  • Local time: 01:27 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17ft. Spirit Exlax
  • Interests:Pole Dancers
  • Trailer Name:Casablanca
  • Casita Club Directory #:69

Posted 27 August 2016 - 07:15 AM

Yes there is. My trailer came with the tail light led but I installed plug and play backup led lights. The factory backups were incandescent. Here's where you can get them.

http://www.bargman.com/

http://www.bargman.c...E!QucCHUKzFF6HB

Edited by Wally Z, 27 August 2016 - 07:17 AM.

2014 17' Casita SD

#3 Steamboat

Steamboat
  • Casita Club Member
  • 188 posts
  • Local time: 04:27 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2016 17' ID
  • Trailer Name:Steamboat

Posted 31 August 2016 - 05:00 AM

Wally, we ordered ALL LEDs for our trailer but after reading your post above, I am wondering if they are going to 'sneak' incandescent backup bulbs on us? I know this may sound petty, but they did say ALL would be LEDs. Perhaps I should inquire about this. Gee, you sure are full of information Wally! Thanks for opening this up to me.

• Wally Z likes this

Karl & Norma with Scout "The Wonder Dog"

2013 Honda Pilot AWD - EX-L

#4 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 05:49 AM

Wally, we ordered ALL LEDs for our trailer but after reading your post above, I am wondering if they are going to 'sneak' incandescent backup bulbs on us? I know this may sound petty, but they did say ALL would be LEDs. Perhaps I should inquire about this. Gee, you sure are full of information Wally! Thanks for opening this up to me.

Who are they? If you ordered from Casita the backup lights may be incandescent unless they have change since I purchased my trailer in 2014.

2014 17' Casita SD

#5 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,588 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 31 August 2016 - 10:03 AM

Steamboat 

When ordering "all LED lights" from Casita, I believe that is the option for the interior lights. Having LED interior lights makes a huge difference on battery drain if you plan on dry camping (boondocking). It your backup lights or marker lights on the outside are incandescent that won't matter when parked.

We boondock 90% of the time. I have my porch light, the light over my propane bottles and my backup lights wired so that I can flip one switch on, from inside the Casita it will light all three up. I've never felt having the backup lights on for short periods of time compromised my needed battery power. 

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#6 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 12:32 PM

On mine the tail lights are LED from the factory. That's the brake, turn signal, and tail lights. You know the red ones. :lol: The factory backup lights were incandescent and are a removable part of the light assembly. I changed mine with the plug and play from Bargman website I posted. Unless something has change Clover is correct in saying the interior LED's are an option.  The tail lights are standard LED's. (not backups)  The porch light, front tongue light, running lights, and license plate lights are incandescent.  Besides the back up light I also purchased online the led's for the porch and front light. They are used when trailer is disconnected and draw form the battery.  The only reason I changed the back up lights to LED was because they are much brighter. B)   The running lights,tail lights, back up lights & license plate light are only used when hooked to tow vehicle and aren't a battery drain issue as Clover also stated.

So you ordering the LED interior is basically all you need. The porch and front lights would be good to change to LED's also. It's all about saving on battery power when you're not hooked up to shore power.

2014 17' Casita SD

#7 Steamboat

Steamboat
  • Casita Club Member
  • 188 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2016 17' ID
  • Trailer Name:Steamboat

Posted 01 September 2016 - 09:11 PM

Yes, Wally...you are correct. Again. I should have known. I contacted Casita and asked specifically is ALL bulbs are LEDs? Response was only that all lights are LEDs which leads me to believe that your comment about the back up bulbs is correct-o-mundo! I will put it on my list of things to change. Thanks again for pointing out this small, but interesting tidbit! Stay up in the saddle!

• Wally Z likes this

Karl & Norma with Scout "The Wonder Dog"

2013 Honda Pilot AWD - EX-L

#8 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,291 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 18 September 2016 - 08:58 AM

Wally is right. We had to have the right tail light replaced when it went bad and was still under warranty, and Casita sent us an LED.

I much prefer the LEDs and we spent the money to convert everything inside (except the stove range hood) from incandescent to LED. We drycamp more often than not and the decreased drain on the battery is the first reason, but really, the LEDs are far brighter for our aging eyes. 

We haven't changed the exterior lights from bulb to LED.

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#9 Zimm

Zimm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 140 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17 Spirit Deluxe Bunks

Posted 27 October 2016 - 09:19 AM

What model LED's replace the factory lights?

Come visit us:  

http://thehandycamper.com

#10 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,588 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 27 October 2016 - 11:05 AM

What model LED's replace the factory lights?

http://www.ledtraile....com/casita.htm

If you are talking about the interior lights. I bought mine with the original "group purchase" by Casita owners and none have died 6 years later. Many found not all LED lights are created equal. So go dead very soon after purchase and some create some electrical interference with some electronics such as your TV.

Here is one of the threads on the topic and the guy still has a Casita Special on his websight

http://www.casitaclu...urchase +lights

• U.S.M.C. Don likes this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)