Linda & Bob, K4TAX
  • Casita Club Member
  • 169 posts
  • Local time: 11:32 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:WE Sold it!
  • Trailer Name:Room 4 Two
  • Casita Club Directory #:2033

Posted 25 July 2020 - 05:34 AM

We started with a GMC Sonoma.  Added a trans cooler to start.   It had the Vortec V6 which handled the trailer nicely.  The cab was just too small to travel with 2 adults and was on the light side for a loaded trailer and all the "stuff" we carried. 

Moved to a Chevy Trailblazer with the Vortec V6, and factory tow package.  Nice comfortable all around vehicle for towing our 17' SD.  Still needed more room for "stuff" and a bit more comfort.   

Presently towing with 2011 Chevy Silverado LTZ crew cab with the 5.4 liter V8.   Factory tow package, bed cover and it provided very comfortable creature comfort. Tows the trailer as though it isn't back there.     Gas mileage is 15 MPG towing at interstate speeds. 

Bob

#32 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,268 posts
  • Local time: 09:32 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 25 July 2020 - 09:29 AM

We just got back from a nice little three day trip to the Hood canal area....first time I got to pull the Casita for any distance with my new Ram 1500.....what a great experience.  My Ram is a crew cab....Hemi 5.7....3.92 rear....4x4....with a tow package.   She handled the trailer better than my 2003 Chevy 2500 used to.   I don't need any WD with this truck....drop is about a half inch when fully loaded.  With the 8 speed transmission and MDS....the mileage is impressive....going up and down hills at about 50 mph....was averaging 16.5 mpg while towing.  On the open highway.....averaging 60 mph....was getting 17.5 mpg while towing our Casita. When not towing....I have been getting 21 mpg consistently on the highway.  This truck's performance is impressive considering the engine is 395 HP. My former truck...the 2500 Chevy with a 6.0 Vortec and 4.10 rear....was lucky to get 11 mpg while towing....it was a good truck but drank a lot of gas.  I might add....the new Ram is the best riding truck I've ever owned.....a real pleasure to drive.   

#33 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,261 posts
  • Local time: 09:32 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 25 July 2020 - 10:07 AM

We started with a GMC Sonoma.  Added a trans cooler to start.   It had the Vortec V6 which handled the trailer nicely.  The cab was just too small to travel with 2 adults and was on the light side for a loaded trailer and all the "stuff" we carried. 

Moved to a Chevy Trailblazer with the Vortec V6, and factory tow package.  Nice comfortable all around vehicle for towing our 17' SD.  Still needed more room for "stuff" and a bit more comfort.   

Presently towing with 2011 Chevy Silverado LTZ crew cab with the 5.4 liter V8.   Factory tow package, bed cover and it provided very comfortable creature comfort. Tows the trailer as though it isn't back there.     Gas mileage is 15 MPG towing at interstate speeds. 

Bob

We used to tow with my little 2004 Nissan Frontier, with its 3.3 L lawn mower engine. I even towed the trailer home from Texas with it. While it worked okay on the flats or small inclines, some of the "out west" roads and passes can be downright scarily slow pulling those 7% + grades that run on for several miles at a stretch. For example, I would start up the Dougherty Slide, (HWY 140 in Oregon,) for example and wondered if I'd even make it to the top, (at over 7,000',) or going up the 14% grade south of French Glen, OR as well. My poor little truck reminded me of the kids book "The Little Engine That Could," saying to itself "I think I can, I think I can," all the way up. Surprised the poor little guy didn't puke his connecting rods up on some of those trips.

Now we have, (I should say my wife has.) a (new when she bought it) 2016 V-8 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab with tow package, 4x4, full bed canopy, and it tows like there's nothing even back there. We don't use the WDH spring bars with it anymore, but do use the sway bar. We also get 15+ mpg towing with it, and it will accelerate going up those long grades without even breaking a sweat. My old Frontier only got 10~11 mpg if I didn't have to put my foot into it too much.

Frankly, I would never even consider towing with some of the truly "minimal" tow vehicles I've seen some people use.

Edited by Euphoria, 25 July 2020 - 10:08 AM.

• Linda & Bob, K4TAX and Jerrybob like this

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

Casita Club # 2754

#34 West Texan

West Texan
  • Casita Club Member
  • 356 posts
  • Local time: 11:32 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2020 17’ Freedom Deluxe
  • Interests:Collecting Unique Camaros
    Rebuilding Rare Chevy Pickups
    Rock and Roll Music
    Old Country and Western Music
    Camping
    Cooking Outdoors
    Cajun Food and Cajun Music
  • Trailer Name:“Day Tripper”
  • Casita Club Directory #:Do I have one?

Posted 25 July 2020 - 11:59 AM

What few times that I have gotten to go camping and pulling it back to the house from the factory, I have pulled my 17 foot long FD (Day Tripper) with a Chevy Silverado crew-cab Z-71 (13mpg). If I ever needed a little more umph, I have a Chevy crew-cab 4x4 Duramax on standby.

Edited by West Texan, 25 July 2020 - 12:00 PM.