• Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 05:15 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17SD ordered 08-05-16
  • Interests:Me- Boating, Fishing, Camping, Old Tractors
    Her- Jetski, Exploring, Kayaking, Paddleboarding
  • Trailer Name:Serenity

Posted 06 August 2016 - 09:04 AM

My wife and I were looking for a camper that would tow easily and replace tent camping.

I think we found it in the Casita. I ordered the Spirit Deluxe, with  Mach 1 A/C, still have time to change my mind of this. I've been emailing with Perfect Casita and will get the receiver hitch.  We would welcome any suggestions as to what we should get or not. Now is the time. It won't be complete till December.

I'm impressed by the Casita Community. I especially like looking at the modifications of the many owners.

I look forward to seeing many of you at a rally sometime soon

Thanks to all,

Karl and Renee

#2 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts
  • Local time: 02:15 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17ft. Spirit Exlax
  • Interests:Pole Dancers
  • Trailer Name:Casablanca
  • Casita Club Directory #:69

Posted 06 August 2016 - 04:14 PM

Congratulations on a fine purchase.  We love ours. You might want to wait on getting some things until you have the Casita and have been on a couple of camping trips with it.  The rear hitch is really nice to have so you're okay there.  A lot depends on the type of camping you do. If you do a lot of boondocking you might want to start looking at generators and solar panels.  I have a Yamaha generator for those times when there's no shore power and I need air conditioning and battery charged.  You might consider a short trip to Little House Customs after picking up your trailer in Rice to have modifications done. A couple of the best mods I did was screen door bar/handle and shocks. LED light bulbs, lighted pump switch, water heater switch, toilet supply line shutoff valve, refrigerator control button protector, and 3-way porch light switch. A  30 amp surge protector with built in fault detection is highly advisable to protect trailer when plugged into campground shore power. That's something you could get prior to picking up you Casita to be ready for the maiden voyage/shake down cruise.

I know how exciting it is and you want to be prepared, but with some things it's better to wait. I purchase a few things while waiting to get my trailer that I really didn't need and have never used. No big dollar items but still a waste. Make sure your tow vehicle is ready when you go to pick up your trailer is most important. The hitch, 2" ball and mount, 7-pin plug in, and brake controller for example. Casita can fit you with the correct ball mount and riser when you get there if you prefer.  A lot of information on this forum so feel free to look through the topics, ask questions, and use the search window.  Welcome to the forum

• Collie likes this

2014 17' Casita SD

#3 schatzie

schatzie
  • Casita Club Member
  • 225 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' SD

Posted 06 August 2016 - 06:38 PM

You will definitely need 4 wheel chocks for when you unhitch.  I would also recommend wheel covers in the near future to keep the sun off the tires when unhitched.  A ball type receiver lock which replaces your receiver ball on the Casita when unhitched is a good safety precaution against theft.  I would also recommend a cover over the fantastic fan vent so that you can leave it open without worrying about rain leaking in.  After that, a good rule of thumb is to only buy accessories if you need them twice in your camping style.  I did very, very few mods and my 17'SD suits us just fine.

Bob & Ginny Schattschneider
South Milwaukee, WI.
2009 Casita 17' SD
2004 Ford F-150 FX4

#4 Babs&Chris

Babs&Chris
  • Casita Club Member
  • 441 posts
  • Local time: 06:15 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17SD
  • Interests:Cycling, hiking, paddling, history

Posted 07 August 2016 - 06:25 AM

A lot of us like this for leveling our trailers 

Andersen Camper Wheel Chock and Leveler and you'll need something like that and wheel chocks immediately.  A lot of us quickly replace the factory issued sewer hose, too.  

As for mods and extra equipment, go slowly or you may find yourself buying things you'll soon discard and replace -- or not.  

We have had our Spirit for 3 1/2 years and we like it more every time we use it.  Our favorite mods are the shocks and scissor jack stablizers on all 4 corners.

Congratulations--we were tent campers as well, and a Casita was the perfect choice for us.  So simple to set up.

Edited by Babs&Chris, 07 August 2016 - 07:52 AM.

#5 tractors1

tractors1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 424 posts
  • Local time: 03:15 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:ex-LD17, Escape21 now
  • Interests:Scuba diving, old tractors, woodworking

Posted 07 August 2016 - 07:18 AM

You didn't state if you're getting a 16 or 17 ft model; the 16s have a much lighter tongue weight already so watch the loads you put on the rear.

ex-owner LD17, Escape 21 now
2013 Tacoma V6 4dr 4wd long bed

Need a widget to hold your stuff?

Don't drill holes!
http://www.rvwidgetworks.com

#6 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17ft. Spirit Exlax
  • Interests:Pole Dancers
  • Trailer Name:Casablanca
  • Casita Club Directory #:69

Posted 07 August 2016 - 07:36 AM

Eileen Glick's Casita A-Z?  Spam alert!!!!!!!!  :rofl:

• clover likes this

2014 17' Casita SD

#7 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,432 posts
  • Local time: 04:15 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 07 August 2016 - 07:41 AM

congratulations on your impending purchase. you'll find this casita community is very helpful and most of us are crazy about our trailers. you've made a fine decision. as for mods. i agree with other posters to wait to purchase too many until you find out your "camping style". i'm full timing in my little 2013 patriot deluxe for over 2 years and some things i highly recommend are bumper/door stop to prevent your door from hitting the belly band during heavy wind and resultant damage to your door fiberglass,locks for tongue/hitch/wheels, LED lights, tire chocks, toilet shut off valve,fresh water filter for your water hose, surge protector, fantastic fan cover, tire covers, ac and furnace, since you will be travelling/camping in both texas and indiana, generator and/or solar, furnace cover.

you'll get plenty of written info when you pick up your trailer which covers the working of all systems/appliances, so take time to read and reread that info. there are also many youtube videos which explain most problems/questions you may encounter along the way, as well as 2 casita-specific sites. people will go out of their way to help you as you learn the simple workings of your casita. i'd take a few days to camp near the factory as a "shake down" trip so you can return quickly in the very rare chance you have a malfunction somewhere that needs their attention.

remember, this trailer is one of the simplest of any of them out there to maintain, tow, set up, etc with many of them still on the road and functioning 20 plus years from manufacture date! i've met casita owners who have done little to nothing as far as mods and are out there happily travelling/camping so make the mods that make sense to you.................and lastly, enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.

Edited by clairemr1, 07 August 2016 - 08:10 AM.

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#8 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,024 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 07 August 2016 - 08:52 AM

Congrats on the trailer......you gonna love that trailer and Casita folks are all wonderful.......except one!  LOL!

#9 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,930 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 07 August 2016 - 12:17 PM

Ditto on everything folks have already hit upon. When we drove down to Rice the back of our pickup was packed full of stuff that we ultimately never used!

But...take a small hand vacuum because stuff sort of settles out..dust, fibers from the carpeting, etc after the first fifty miles. You might want to find a camp ground near to Rice so that your first night camping, you can run everything, check everything, and if it's not right, you aren't too far to turn around and go back for Casita to fix it.

You will receive a packet of literature that tells you how everything works. The fridge, hot water heater, etc. Mail in all the warranty cards ASAP, ESPECIALLY the one for the Dometic refrigator. In the teeny tiny print in the Dometic Refrigerator manual it says you have only TEN days to mail it in from date of purchase (they will want a copy of the sales receipt, too) in order for them to honor their warranty.  Ten days isn't much when you're on the road, but do get it in the mail within the ten days.

Your propane tanks will be empty upon purchase. They won't fill them at Casita. I have no idea if the tanks have been properly purged. I suspect not. But they will tell you where to get the tanks purged and filled. There's a propane supply place just a mile or so up the frontage road and turn right that  gets a ton of business from new Casita owners.

If all this seems a bit overwhelming, a bit too much information, it's okay. Take the information from this thread, make a list and it will go easy after that. It's just camping.

You are going to love your Casita, especially if you've been tent camping. The Casita is a very comfortable, well appointed tent on wheels. You will appreciate it best when it's raining hard and you are inside, warm and dry. Even more so when it's midnight and raining, and you have to use the bathroom. Then you will appreciate it even more! (trust me. You the Man of the Family might not think this important but I promise you, a bathroom will make your wife happy. )

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#10 Collie

Collie
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 02:23 PM

Thank all for the helpful suggestions.  It is difficult not to try and get everything at once.

WallyZ - Primary use will be in campgrounds. But one friend likes to go boon docking. I might have to revisit the suspension to go where he goes.

Tractors1  -  This is a 17ft SD.  Tow vehicle 2012 Tundra

Meadowlark- Great advice

See you around the camp fire

Edited by Collie, 07 August 2016 - 02:24 PM.

#11 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,930 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 07 August 2016 - 06:59 PM

Oh, by the way. Welcome to the Nest. No question is ''''too dumb'' to ask. Do not worry if you think it is, ask it anyway. We are a friendly bunch, we were all newbies once, no matter the situation, the problem, the question, someone here on the Forum has had it happen to them, has figured out a fix, or knows the answer.

And get the high axle 15 wheels. You won't regret it.

Edited by Meadowlark, 07 August 2016 - 07:01 PM.

• NASA42 B likes this

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#12 NASA42 B

NASA42 B
  • Casita Club Member
  • 509 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty 17 Deluxe
  • Interests:Family, Reading, RVing, History, some community service, and my rescue cat named "Alley" at home...
  • Trailer Name:NASA42 - B

Posted 08 August 2016 - 04:53 AM

Karl, Renee.....

Congratulations on your choice, and welcome to the Casita family.  While you wait for your new magic carpet.....you can enjoy planning those first few jaunts.    Hope to meet you somewhere down the road.

Frank  :rolleyes: 

• Meadowlark likes this

#13 Carolyn and Steve

Carolyn and Steve
  • Casita Club Member
  • 29 posts
  • Local time: 03:15 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit DLX 17
  • Interests:Travelling, hiking biking and the great outdoors.
  • Trailer Name:L'il House on the Freeway or Charley's House (pup)

Posted 08 August 2016 - 10:48 AM

K and R--
Congrats on your purchase.

Watch all the youtube videos from the Casita factory.

https://www.amazon.c...e/dp/188778005X

This is the most indispensable book you can ever buy for Casita knowledge.

Read the reviews.
Go directly to her  website or orderf from.
best, 

Steve and Carolyn
San Clemente, CA

• NASA42 B likes this

#14 Collie

Collie
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 04:24 PM

I just received the paperwork in the mail. Casita mentions a brake controller. I used to have a 22ft deepwater fishing boat. It was heavy and had inertia brakes, It was a bear to tow. I never heard of electric brakes. Please shed some light on this for me.

Thanks in advance

Karl

#15 stratos175

stratos175
  • Casita Club Member
  • 212 posts
  • Local time: 06:15 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Spirit
  • Interests:hiking, kayaking, disc golf and spending time in in our Casita.
  • Trailer Name:Matilda

Posted 09 August 2016 - 02:58 AM

Welcome to the Casita family. I had never seen one before until about 2 1/2 years ago and when I did and then found this great group of very helpful people I said I have to have one. Best suggestion I would make is find a rally you can attend, I've been to two now and best ideas I've come up with I learned from something I saw there, like how we mounted are TV. Best investment you will ever make.

Safe travels,

Steve and Patty