#16 Dexter2317

Dexter2317
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 16 posts
  • Local time: 01:40 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Patriot/13'

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:08 PM

Thanks Wally! Meteors aren't really that uncommon. I took a long exposure this past weekend and "caught" one.

#17 borderbrae

borderbrae
  • Casita Club Member (c)
  • 1,009 posts
  • Local time: 12:40 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2000 17' SD
  • Interests:Travel, photography

Posted 23 September 2016 - 03:15 PM

Debbie, there are some pretty good places on the gulf side if FL, tried to PM you and couldn't get it to work, I do a bit of night photography along the lines of what Jon does, lots of photos on my blog and website.
Jean
2000 SD 17'
2011 Silverado w/Prodigy BC
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much (and take lots of photos along the way)
www.jeanclarkphotography.com
www.borderbrae.wordpress.com

#18 Casita-Freak

Casita-Freak
  • Casita Club Member
  • 240 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Casita Spirit 17' 2012
  • Interests:Astronomy, CCD Imaging, Telescope making, Amateur radio WD5IKX, Photography, Reading
  • Trailer Name:Moonlight Manor

Posted 18 October 2016 - 08:22 AM

Great images John and a REALLY nice setup!! I've only been at this for a little more than a year and only got my casita a few months ago. I've been to one star party, the Winter Star Party in the Keys but now that I have a camper I plan to attend some more. You mentioned that you were glad to have AC so can I assume that you operate you telescope from the trailer? Since it is usually unbearably hot in Florida, I desperately want to figure out how to do that. I've got so many questions, I don't know where to begin!?! Well to start, do you run the AC in the Casita off a generator and your telescope equipment from batteries? Or both from generator? I don't have any recent pics of my telescope setup but here is my favorite image taken at the WSP
attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Sorry for the slow reply.  I run all my imaging gear with a solar panel / battery system.  I run the Casita from "shore power" during the summer months but the rest of the time I run the Casita with a solar panel system.  Most of the star parties I go to don't have trailer hookups so it is nice to have the solar power system.

Attached File  SkyBox and Moonlight Manor at TSP.JPG   431.27KB   0 downloads

John

Casita-Freak

CCD-Freak

WD5IKX

#19 borderbrae

borderbrae
  • Casita Club Member (c)
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 03:30 PM

Just catching up on stuff and read this thread. This is an image captured last October in Yankeetown, FL looking out at the Gulf. You'll see a meteor to the right of the Milky Way. A lot of times I'll take the photograph of the night sky then discover to my delight I've captured a meteor, too. The really great ones are visible when I take the image. 

Attached File  2L8A3548.gif   513.04KB   0 downloads

Jean
2000 SD 17'

#20 borderbrae

borderbrae
  • Casita Club Member (c)
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 03:15 PM

When I travel out west to MT or WY I always check the spaceweather.com website to see if it may be possible to see the Aurora Borealis.I was camping at Mammoth Hot Springs in Yellowstone on May 23 and went out because it looked like the Aurora might be visible. I went to a high spot, the parking area on the Upper terraces and sure enough, I could see it but the ambient light from all the buildings below was a real nuisance. I drove out of there and stopped at a pullout nearby. It gave the same view but the trees blocked the commercial lighting for the most part.

This shows the Aurora, the yellow glow is some steam from a hot spring that is lit by the lights below. 

Attached File  2L8A7376.gif   225.39KB   3 downloads  

I turned slightly to the east and there was the Milky Way with a bit of pink below. 

Attached File  2L8A7401.gif   164.36KB   0 downloads

A few nights later I was camped at Canyon Village and had a clear night so I drove down into Hayden valley and took several images to get this pano of the Milky Way over the Yellowstone River. 

Attached File  Untitled_Panorama-2.gif   302.9KB   0 downloads

A couple nights later there was another chance for the Aurora so I headed to Hayden Valley. I was really pleased to see an Auroral spectre called "Steve". It lasted quite a while, constantly changing then faded away. 

Attached File  2L8A7428.gif   242.49KB   1 downloads

Once Steve faded I took some images of the Aurora reflected in the Yellowstone River. 

Attached File  2L8A7455.gif   206.65KB   1 downloads

It was darn cold but a night with visions like that made it worthwhile. 

• Carol Christensen, Mark Watson, Meadowlark and 2 others like this
Jean
2000 SD 17'

#21 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,376 posts
  • Local time: 09:40 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 18 June 2017 - 09:43 AM

I have never been lucky enough to see the aurora, and I am such a day time person that I cannot stay up past 9 PM to see such lovely views of the night sky.

But I do remember, one night, in bed in our Casita and looking up through the window at the Yellowstone night sky...and seeing a fireball go over head and explode in a silent white flash of brilliant light. Wow!! I didn't hear anything, so perhaps it was much too high, but it was something I'll never forget.

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"No matter how old I am, I'm always going to want a pony for Christmas."