• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 xbassman

xbassman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 25 posts
  • Local time: 02:39 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe 16'
  • Interests:Reloading, long range target shooting, prarie dog hunting.
  • Trailer Name:"Lonesome Dove"

Posted 15 July 2016 - 06:20 AM

1992 Casita Spirit. Bought used n know very little history but Stowaway group 27 battery was in a discharged condition. Charged via automotive charger n got 11.8v.....not that good. Last night I plugged in the power cord for the first time to check operation of refrigerator n microwave, etc. Just got up n checked inside, took look at battery and heard it gurggle felt of it and very warm, slight seeping around filler caps...not much. Read volts and got 12.8 -12.9..not bad. My question...is the battery being charged when the power cord is connected to outside elect? Is the very warm battery normal? Will whatever is charging the battery cut off at some point? Know good voltage is 13+ and it might get there at some point in time. Don't want a battery exploding!!!!!!! Have battery box vented to outside vent via tubing.

#2 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,296 posts
  • Local time: 12:39 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:37 AM

Yes.....your battery is charging when plugged into shore power.  I do not believe your model has a cut off switch when the battery is fully charged....therefore......you can overcharge and severely hurt your battery.  Hope this helps.  

#3 Mark Watson

Mark Watson
  • Casita Club Member
  • 594 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 FD 17

Posted 15 July 2016 - 08:07 AM

Based on your reported observations and battery symptoms, I would install a new battery.

• 100MPG likes this

Mark Watson

Houston,Tx
2008 17' FD

#4 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,281 posts
  • Local time: 12:39 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:34 AM

Definitely sounds like your current battery is toast. I agree that the first thing is to replace it. I would advise against buying an expensive AGM battery and stick to a standard "wet cell" one if you still have the factory installed Parallax charger. It is only a 3 stage charger and will quickly ruin an AGM. If you want to upgrade, Best Coverter sells a "drop-in" replacement 4 stage charger that will replace the lower end of your currently installed converter. I would recommend the Progressive Dynamics unit. It is what I installed, and I've been very pleased with it. When you open the link, the one you want is the 45 Amp model.

http://www.bestconve...Kits_c_133.html

Edited by Euphoria, 15 July 2016 - 09:36 AM.

• Steamboat likes this

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

Casita Club # 2754

#5 xbassman

xbassman
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 25 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe 16'
  • Interests:Reloading, long range target shooting, prarie dog hunting.
  • Trailer Name:"Lonesome Dove"

Posted 15 July 2016 - 01:33 PM

New battery in my future!