#1 Pileated

Pileated
  • Casita Club Member
  • 13 posts
  • Local time: 01:40 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe 17ft
  • Interests:Photography, Birdwatching, Maltese dogs,

Posted 14 July 2016 - 05:41 AM

I'm planning a stopover in the Grand Island, NE area to see the 500,000 Sandhill Cranes that migrate through there every year.  After picking up my new Casita March 6, 2017 I plan to head straight north from Rice.  Any suggestions for good campgrounds in the Grand Island area?

Ileen

pulling a 2007 Spirit Deluxe
with a 2001 Toyota 4Runner

#2 Pileated

Pileated
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 06:33 AM

Forgot to add -- I've never been to Texas and besides camping, my major interests when I travel are scenic places and birds so any suggestions about campgrounds or dramatic scenery along the way to Nebraska would be appreciated.  I'm thinking that March isn't the best time for birding in the Southwest (it's been about 20 years since I birded the Southwest) since I'm looking for lifers or birds only seen that far south -- I will have to come back for that experience.  Except for hummers.  Maybe I'll be lucky and add a few new hummers to my list even in March.

Ileen

#3 oregonlavender

oregonlavender
  • Casita Club Member
  • 139 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:FD 2014 16'
  • Interests:Gardening
    Casita-ing

Posted 14 July 2016 - 06:40 AM

Ileen,
Just immediately west of Grand Island at exit 300 is Cheyenne State Recreation Area. No hook ups and in spite of being just off the interstate it is quiet. Can't help you if you need hook ups but if you have the AllStays app there are many choices.
Susan
Susan and Sunshine (a rare purebred brown dog)

#4 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,434 posts
  • Local time: 02:40 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:14 AM

you peaked my interest with your post, you just added to my bucket list! Thanks

the one of the prime location for viewing is Wood River, NE 20 minutes west of Gran Island. 

http://www.nebraskaf.../crane-viewing/

http://cranetrust.or...out/directions/

15 miles from there is Morman Island State Recreational Area it has 35 RV sites with electric hookups

http://outdoornebras...v/mormonisland/

Fort Kearney is also listed as one of the prime viewing areas. They have 94 camping pads with hookups

http://outdoornebras.../fortkearnysra/

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#5 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,932 posts
  • Local time: 12:40 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 19 July 2016 - 08:46 AM

We are crane lovers. We have a decal of two Sandhills on the front of our SD. We stopped to see the cranes on our way to Rice to pick up our 2011, so it's been a while and we didn't camp on the way down. The cranes are INCREDIBLE. Do stop at the Rowe Sanctuary in Kearney, NE. Make an appointment to get a pre dawn trip to a blind and keep your camera inside the ample sized blind. When the sun rises you will find yourself amidst thousands of cranes. We saw a pair of whoopers amidst the sandhills. Once the sun comes up you are in the middle of so many cranes that the water is white with their feathers and you cannot hear yourself think for the noise.

They take off in small groups, so there is no 'mass takeoff' like there is geese.

We are talking of making that trip again, this time  with Grus (Latin for Crane!) Egg in tow. Last year my husband did a solo walkabout all through Texas, AZ and NM, photographing birds the whole trip.

March is an EXCELLENT time for birding to Texas and points west. Heck, you're on the Central Flyway in the middle of migration!. Texas is so full of birds it will probably take you a lifetime to see them all. You can pick up some Texas Birding Trail maps. If you head west (and south) into NM and AZ, you will find plenty of places to bird...Bosque del Apache AZ, Cave Creek (Portal, AZ but within feet of the NM border), etc.

Edited by Meadowlark, 19 July 2016 - 08:46 AM.

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#6 codasmom

codasmom
  • Casita Club Member
  • 152 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Patriot 13'
  • Interests:Dogs and training, Artwork, photography, kayaking, bicycling, hiking, gardening, knitting,etc

Posted 20 July 2016 - 05:12 AM

For birders, don't forget about Monte Vista Wildlife Refuge in CO. about the same time of year. Thousands of cranes, many raptors, and many migrating ducks. A beautiful place for birds.
  • Meadowlark likes this

#7 Pileated

Pileated
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 11:41 AM

Thanks to all of you for your great suggestions. If I can't do it all this trip, I will surely have to come south in a future year.

• Meadowlark likes this

Ileen

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: birds, NE camping, campgrounds