5 replies to this topic

#1 Fleigles

Fleigles
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 09:34 AM

Posted 12 September 2003 - 06:32 AM

Hello,
We have a 95 16' SD and recently discovered that someone really must have wanted inside our Casita. They wanted in so much that they broke the door handle clean off. So I have two questions;
1. How do I get inside of it? The door handle including the lock tumbler were laying on the ground. I tried putting the door handle back on the door and turning it but it won't mesh with the other half enough to open it.
2. Where do I get a new door handle assymbly? Is this a Casita only item or will the local RV place have one?

Thanks,
The Fleigles

#2 bobsteffen

bobsteffen
  • Casita Club Member
  • 231 posts

Posted 12 September 2003 - 08:26 AM

Sorry to hear about your problem. That's a shame.

I don't know what model you have, but on some you can drive the pins out of the hinges and just lift the door off.

Or if you can grab a hold of the shaft with a pair of pliers, you can pull on the shaft and the door will release, assuming that you don't have the dead bolt locked.

And of course, I would call Casita right away to order one. You probably could find it somewhere locally, but that's a lot of looking.

bOb
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Bob & Marcia Steffen #1035
<!--coloro:red--><span style="color:red"><!--/coloro-->2012 Casita 17SD, 2001 Honda Odyessy<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></span>

#3 Chris/WB4NXS

Chris/WB4NXS
  • Casita Club Member
  • 66 posts
  • Local time: 10:34 AM

Posted 12 September 2003 - 08:51 AM

Sorry to hear about your door knob problem. This might help you. I looked at a 2001 Casita SD17 the other day. In my discussion with the owner, he said he ordered extra door keys from the door manufacturer and they were only 75 cents each a couple of years ago. If they sell keys to the door maybe they sell door knob sets. My Casita is on order so I am unable to give you the name of the door manufacturer but I bet there are many on this forum who could give you the information.
Chris & Dianne (North Carolina)
Amateur Radio Callsign WB4NXS
2004 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 (Sleep "N" Round)
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD 4.7 HO V8

#4 cnold

cnold
  • Casita Club Member
  • 381 posts
  • Local time: 12:34 PM

Posted 12 September 2003 - 12:51 PM

The Fleigles,

If you have not already resolved the problem, I would try removing the two screws that hold the flange to the door and then try your handle again. It will need to come off anyway to replace the handle. It is possible that damage to the flange or handle is preventing the shaft from going in far enough. If that fails, try a screw driver in the hole. Replacement locking handles are readily available at many RV dealers or on the Internet . Dyers RV has one with a 5/16" square shaft for $10.59. You just cut the shaft to the required length.

http://www.dyersonli.....cks & Latches
2005 Toyota Tundra
1999 Casita 16" SD

#5 Guest_kevshirl_*

Guest_kevshirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2003 - 06:31 PM

Hi, My husband and I were on the outer banks on North Carolina in June when we locked outselves out of our Casita. We have a 96 Liberty. My husband tried to force the door open but broke the handle off. We ended up crawling thru the window and went home with a bungee cord on the door. At the time we looked at the old Casita forum and found that other people have also broken the handle off, it is not very strong. We ordered a new one from Casita and installed it, although the the screws had to be repositioned. Now we are more careful about opening and closing the door. Casita still has the old latch available. On the old forum there was an owner that had brought a stonger latch from another source but I do not have access to it.

The Folans, NC

#6 Fleigles

Fleigles
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 September 2003 - 02:55 AM

The Fleigles,

If you have not already resolved the problem, I would try removing the two screws that hold the flange to the door and then try your handle again. It will need to come off anyway to replace the handle. It is possible that damage to the flange or handle is preventing the shaft from going in far enough. If that fails, try a screw driver in the hole. Replacement locking handles are readily available at many RV dealers or on the Internet . Dyers RV has one with a 5/16" square shaft for $10.59. You just cut the shaft to the required length.

Is this the latch that your talking about?

That looks like the right shape. Will have to see if I can get something local first and then call Casita.