• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 xbassman

xbassman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 25 posts
  • Local time: 02:31 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe 16'
  • Interests:Reloading, long range target shooting, prarie dog hunting.
  • Trailer Name:"Lonesome Dove"

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:00 AM

92 Casita Spirit, bought used n going thru stuff. Down to hot water heater flush. Photo of heater from the "outside", am I pointing to the drain plug and if so I assume this is where u flush it. Other photo is " inside" the camper and am I pointing at the diode that gets replaced if eaten up? Well my photos are to big to load so....looking fm outside there is a LARGE nut with a slot cut into it at the very bottom of the gas fittings....assume this is the draid plug n also where flushing happens. Inside the trailer under the rear dinette seat by battery is the tank in a cardboard box. Label says diode n a large nut. Assume this is where I replace the diode if eaten up? Am I correct?

#2 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,281 posts
  • Local time: 12:31 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:47 AM

First off, the aluminum or magnesium, (they're made from both,) consumable anti-electrolysis rod in your hot water heater is called a sacrificial anode, not a diode. It helps to know the correct nomenclature so that when you ask the clerk for a replacement one, he doesn't send you off to Radio Shack for an electronic component (diode).

Without a picture it is hard to tell what you are trying to describe when you say "inside", since the replacable anodes are removed and installed from the outside. I'm not sure what you are seeing inside.

The anode, when removed, is also the drain plug for the hot water tank. Don't mess with the gas valve stuff.

Your nebulous descriptions raise more questions than I am able to answer, such as the tank in the cardboard box...what tank in the cardboard box?

Some more precise descriptions would help you get the answers you seek. There is also a photo resizer which will downsize your photos so that you can post them to the forum.

Edited by Euphoria, 08 July 2016 - 06:59 AM.

• Wally Z likes this

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

Casita Club # 2754

#3 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17ft. Spirit Exlax
  • Interests:Pole Dancers
  • Trailer Name:Casablanca
  • Casita Club Directory #:69

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:55 AM

What Greg said. :) With a couple of exceptions. :lol: 

Check out these videos>  

There are three of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yBZJ9KQbOM

Edited by Wally Z, 08 July 2016 - 07:27 AM.

• Alva likes this

2014 17' Casita SD

#4 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:23 AM

You don't need the wire he talks about in the video. Just use three full wraps of the Teflon tape. The threads will cut through it enough when screwing in the anode. You can also relieve the tank pressure by opening a hot water faucet inside the trailer. Helps tank drain faster also. That valve he opens up in the video is the T&P safety relief valve. (Temperature & Pressure)  Either way is okay. I personally would have changed that anode in the video. Go through all the trouble of pulling it out and not change it doesn't make sense to me. It was used up pretty good also. I keep a spare anode all the time. Use one order one.  Make sure to refill tank before firing it up.  Really easy task with proper tools. The first time is usually the hardest.

Edited by Wally Z, 08 July 2016 - 07:26 AM.

2014 17' Casita SD

#5 xbassman

xbassman
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:18 AM

Anode, got it! Diode....left over term fm years as ET in Coast Guard. First photo is of the outside hot water unit under vent lid...what is that plug I am pointing at. 2nd photo is inside trailer by battery box...the cardboard box I referred to. Note the word Anode on the box. Did not look at video yet, that being said, is the plug by the pilot a drain plug? And is the inside trailer photo of cardboard box where I install the new anode?

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0053.JPG
  • DSCN0054.JPG

#6 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:53 AM

Wow! Obviously your HWH is drastically different than the newer ones and the one in the video.  In your case I would say yes the first photo is the drain and the second is the anode. You can see your T&P valve in the first photo just above the red knobs on your gas control valve. Make sure it opens & closes and doesn't leak after you flush things out and replace anode. It's very important safety feature. If you have any doubts about it I would replace it just to be on the safe side. Looks like you may have to move that tube above drain to get to it. Might just be the photo angle. The videos may be helpful to watch anyway. I'm sure you've figured out you'll flush from the anode hole out the drain hole. Very interesting for sure.

Edited by Wally Z, 08 July 2016 - 08:57 AM.

2014 17' Casita SD

#7 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:01 AM

Would you please put your trailer information in under your profile. Year, size, and model makes it easier for folks to answer questions.

2014 17' Casita SD

#8 xbassman

xbassman
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:36 AM

Things r good in Texas.....large whatever, where I was pointing in photo of outside unit. No nut to grab, very rusty, so I fig it was a square hole..lol....anyway while probing the hole a trickle of water came out, bit more probing and more water, when I opened relief valve I got soaked. This is the drain, no anode! There was always a brass threaded plug laying by heater, now I know what it is for. To thread into where I was pointing..did that n done after flushing, really clean, am amazed. Next - pull anode out of tank in a box to check it out. Tnx for all your input, the video did help.

#9 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:50 AM

Yup, now I see the plug in the photo. Looks like your on your way. You haven't already when you get done with water side of it you might want to check out the gas side. Clean the jet wherever that is on that one. I don't suppose you have the manual?

Edited by Wally Z, 08 July 2016 - 10:51 AM.

2014 17' Casita SD

#10 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,281 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 08 July 2016 - 12:10 PM

I now see what you meant by "cardboard box" since there is now a picture to view. Definitely something the Smithsonian would probably like to get their hands on...Just kidding. What I don't understand is why they would put the anode mounting hole so high up in the body of the HWH reservoir. It would probably be an improvement to maybe pull it out and stick a pipe plug in that upper inside hole and move the anode out to the outside hole on the bottom (where your finger is pointing in pc #1.) Two reasons...It would always be submerged if there was water in the reservoir of the HWH, and by having it mounted low (like all the newer ones are) it would allow it to be pulled in order to drain it, and afford you an opportunity to check it's condition at the same time. Just a thought.

Also, unless I'm missing something, on your "inside picture" I don't see a HWH bypass valve in your incoming cold water line either. It would shunt water from coming into the HWH, but still allow using the rest of the water system piping (cold only of course.) They are generally installed in case you ever want to winterize your trailer's water system for the off season by allowing you to drain your HWH of water and use the RV antifreeze just in your pipes, (without having to buy a lot extra just to be filling up your HWH needlessly.) If it is already drained it won't freeze.

Edited by Euphoria, 08 July 2016 - 12:13 PM.

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

Casita Club # 2754

#11 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 02:28 PM

I found pictures where folks have added bypass valves to this exact HWH. It was on the Fiberglass RV forum.

http://www.fiberglas...pass-21594.html

2014 17' Casita SD

#12 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,291 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:07 PM

That is wierd. Why would they have put it in a box? I guess to serve as insulation? But I can only imagine once it gets wet it gets moldy........or is this not an original installation?????

I was going to warn you, xbassman, to stand out of the line of fire when opening the pressure valve! But I have to believe everyone has made that mistake at lease once.

Judging by the exterior of the HWH, looks to me like that Casita was rode hard and put away wet...but I imagine with a little work he can have it squared away.

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#13 xbassman

xbassman
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 05:52 AM

Guess no bypass cause it was born in Texas n temp here rarely get below freezing. Inside of the pasteboard box "is" loaded with fiberglass! After two hot days of scrubbing exterior getting Moss, fungus, and other vegetation off it we are good to go. Not shiny anymor, guess there was a gel coat once but not now. Just means more power washing after use. Tnx for all the input.