18 replies to this topic

#1 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer
  • Admin
  • 4,011 posts
  • Local time: 08:27 AM
  • Casita Club Directory #:1000

Posted 07 July 2016 - 02:53 PM

Welcome to the July 2016 Installment of our Casita Club Monthly Photography Contest!   This month is a bit different, but should be interesting.

This month's subject is:

"My Best Photography Tip - With an Example"

The images posted must be an example of one of your best photography tips.  It can be lighting, camera settings for certain types of images, equipment, etc.

Please read the rules and requests below, then post up your image in this thread!

The winner of this month's contest will receive a $25.00 gift card to Amazon and one short-sleeve Casita Club T-Shirt with a back print.

Feel free to post comments in this thread as well!

Here is a video tutorial on how to upload an image to your post:

https://www.youtube....h?v=XqESoMP6ivk

----------

The rules are quite simple and may change depending on the month and subject.

General Rules:

1)  Any photographs submitted must be owned by the member submitting the image and only one image per contest can be submitted per member.  HDR images are allowed.

2)  Images should be a minimum of 650 pixels on the longest side, if possible.

3)  The winning image may be re-posted on the front page, after the approval from the owner of the image. 

4)  Submissions to the Monthly Photography Contest may begin after the monthly topic has been posted, until the end of the month.  Submissions must be either uploaded to The Casita Club Forums, or embedded from an outside website by the owner of the image.  No outside text links to images will be allowed.

5)  All submissions will be listed and voted on by The Casita Club membership at the end of the month.

6)  The winner of the monthly contest will receive a prize to be determined by The Casita Club and listed within the monthly topic thread. 

7)  In order to give more people a chance at winning, individual members can only win once every 3 months.

8)  The winning images will be included in a **once-a-year prize**, to be determined by The Casita Club and listed within the separate quarterly voting thread. (this was changed on 10/01/2014)

9)  The Casita Club, or anyone associated with the owners of the CasitaClub.com website do not and will not claim any type of ownership or license of any images or photographs submitted to The Casita Club Forums.  Eric Mayer will be able to submit an image, but that image will not be included in the monthly votes.

Contest Requests:

I would love for folks to learn from the photographs posted here.  So, as much information as can be provided would be appreciated.  This includes some background information about the photograph, your camera, lens and settings, as well as any other information you feel would be beneficial.

Good luck to anyone who enters!  Feel free to ask any questions in this thread:  http://www.casitaclu...-photo-contest/

Eric  B)

The Casita Club

----------

Here is a video tutorial on how to upload images to your post:
How To Attach an Image to Your Post

#2 The Eggstraterrestrial

The Eggstraterrestrial
  • Casita Club Member
  • 22 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe/17'
  • Interests:Full-time since May 2015
  • Trailer Name:The Eggstraterrestrial

Posted 08 July 2016 - 04:58 PM

I work as a freelance videographer but I went to school for documentary filmmaking and photojournalism. The most important lesson I ever learned was to always have a camera by my side. It doesn't matter if it's your smartphone, disposable 35mm, Leica, or less than reliable Super 8 from the 1960's, because you never know when you're going to have a chance to capture "that moment".

"That moment" could be shafts of light poking through the redwoods on a smoky morning after walking your dog or a full grown bison charging your car. It doesn't matter what it is, just that you are prepared to capture it.

My second best tip: ditch the lens cap and buy a UV filter. You won't regret it.

Attached Files

• Eric Mayer, Wally Z and Dexter2317 like this

#3 wrogers

wrogers
  • Casita Club Member
  • 36 posts
  • Local time: 10:27 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 SD 16'
  • Interests:Photography, Hiking, Biking

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:01 PM

Learn Photoshop and shoot in  raw if your camera has this function!

Attached Files

Edited by wrogers, 09 July 2016 - 12:39 PM.

• Eric Mayer, Wally Z and Dexter2317 like this

#4 vermilye

vermilye
  • Casita Club Member
  • 352 posts
  • Local time: 11:27 AM
  • Interests:Photography, travel

Posted 09 July 2016 - 09:36 AM

Since I love low light/long exposure  photography, my tip is to get outside after dark.  This image is a composite of 4 images taken with a Nikon D700 & an AF-S Zoom-NIKKOR 17-35mm f/2.8D IF-ED lens at 17mm, 30 seconds @ f:2.8, ISO 3200.  The images were merged using the Lightroom panorama tool, and adjusted in Photoshop.

Attached Files

Edited by vermilye, 09 July 2016 - 09:36 AM.

• Wally Z, The Eggstraterrestrial and Dexter2317 like this

#5 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Travel (duh!); bird hunting and bird dogs; flintlock hunting; history; rural life; Irish archeology; lots of other stuff, too.
  • Trailer Name:OTRA
  • Casita Club Directory #:1240

Posted 09 July 2016 - 10:55 AM

Ive done a lot of portrait work in my career: from business executives to cowboys and almost everybody in between. Few amateurs work with people because its scary, intrusive, and revealing of everybody involved in the process. But theres almost no subject as rewarding as out human brothers and sisters.

My tip for photographing people has several parts. First, be honest. Don;t sneak around for candids. Approach your subject forthrightly and in a friendly manner, ask for a picture, and then work with them to get a good one. People usually like to be photographed are flattered to be asked as long as you dont come on like the guy in the trench coat. If possible be sure they get a print, but if you say youre going to get them one, then DO IT.

Even when people agree to be photographed they are likely to be a bit about shy and uneasy about the process. Heres a trick I have used for years with great success. Ask them to close their eyes and look down. Then ask them to open their eyes and slowly look up at you.
It works!

Good people-pictures come from respecting your subject.

This is Bill, an old cowboy who has seen the elephant.

Attached File  bill (web).jpg   167.75KB   2 downloads
  • vermilye, Meadowlark and Wally Z like this
"OTRA" (On The Road Again)
2003 17' Spirit Deluxe #1240
2004 2500HD Duramax Diesel Crewcab

The Sandhills of 'East Wyoming'

#6 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,319 posts
  • Local time: 07:27 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 09 July 2016 - 05:55 PM

and ridden horses, I bet.....

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"I saw what you did."-Karma

#7 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Travel (duh!); bird hunting and bird dogs; flintlock hunting; history; rural life; Irish archeology; lots of other stuff, too.

Posted 09 July 2016 - 06:19 PM

BIll is so bow-legged he could be a croquet wicket!
  • Meadowlark and Wally Z like this

#8 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17ft. Spirit Exlax
  • Interests:Pole Dancers
  • Trailer Name:Casablanca
  • Casita Club Directory #:69

Posted 09 July 2016 - 08:06 PM

My tip would be to always remember to take off the lens cover. :P

Edited by Wally Z, 09 July 2016 - 08:08 PM.

• Meadowlark likes this

2014 17' Casita SD

#9 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 04:34 AM

Don't laugh, Wally! Any Leica users here? :)

#10 Possum

Possum
  • Casita Club Member
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Fly Fishing, Camping, Photography

Posted 18 July 2016 - 05:18 PM

I have to agree 100% with Eggstraterrestrial with the tip of always having a camera with you.  I have often wished there was some way to install a camera behind my eyes so that something like two blinks would take the photo of what I was looking at.  I almost always have at least one camera with me no matter where I go or what I'm doing.  An unexpected sunset or rainbow would be forever lost.  Don't get caught saying "boy, I wish I had my camera with me for this".  This eagle photo was taken while fishing from a boat one day.  While the fishing was not so hot, this photo made it all worth while.  Had I not had the camera with me, it would have only been a memory in my mind.  A second tip that I might offer is to always try to take more than just one shot of any given subject no matter what it is.  In this digital age, it is so easy to delete the bad ones and keep the very best.  You never know when someone might blink, something goes on in the background you were not aware of or any number of other things that could spoil a once in a lifetime photo op.

Attached File  FishEagleA(1)5-6-10.JPG   188.48KB   2 downloads

• wrogers, Meadowlark and mopkat like this
Kim & Luanna
2010 17' Spirit Deluxe
Seattle

#11 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,319 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 19 July 2016 - 08:35 AM

I'm not the photographer, merely a 'picture taker'. But my husband is a very good one. The one tip that I have learned to nag him about is:

Watch Your Settings. (repeat three times)

• mopkat likes this

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"I saw what you did."-Karma

#12 mopkat

mopkat
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe 17'

Posted 20 July 2016 - 10:10 AM

Great  picture Possum! And your tip to always have a camera is right on. It's kind of hard sometimes, especially here in the south, to take that high dollar electronic gizmo of a camera and leave it in a hot car all day. I try not to cry to much when a photo op passes and I don't have my camera but there are those days...................

Meadowlark, that has been the worst part of going digital, all the different settings that can be had that just weren't there in the 35mm days. Good tip!

• Meadowlark likes this

#13 tedinkc

tedinkc
  • Casita Club Member
  • 761 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Freedom Deluxe 17
  • Interests:Discover America, get off the Interstate.

Posted 20 July 2016 - 04:54 PM

This tip really belongs to Ansel Adams, take 4 pictures everyday.  With our modern cameras you can raise the numbers by 10 easily.

Ted Wienstroer

• mopkat likes this

Ted & Cindy 04 17ft FD (Dragon Egg)
2011 Red Mercedes Sprinter 2500 (Dimpled Dragon)
IMG_2969.jpg

#14 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer
  • Topic Starter
  • Admin
  • 4,011 posts
  • Casita Club Directory #:1000

Posted 11 August 2016 - 06:59 AM

I'm still completing my move to Idaho, so I'm going to keep this up for a little while longer until I can get some real internet to set-up the voting and new contest.

Eric  B)

• Wally Z likes this

The Casita Club

----------

Here is a video tutorial on how to upload images to your post:
How To Attach an Image to Your Post

#15 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,200 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 11 August 2016 - 07:33 AM

Eric

Kool move to Idaho! Beautiful country and friendly folks.  What part of the state?

I lived there for 3 years back in the 70s and returned often in the 80s to go skiing. 

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)