18 replies to this topic

#1 Mustang Josi

Mustang Josi
  • Casita Club Member
  • 9 posts
  • Local time: 05:48 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:1981 13'

Posted 26 June 2016 - 04:54 PM

Hi! I am know nothing about the rv world and am doing this all on my own. I have scoured the web for a manual on the web that shows how to work the fridge and have found nothing that made sense. Anyone out there know how to explain this to a newby?

#2 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts
  • Local time: 03:48 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17ft. Spirit Exlax
  • Interests:Pole Dancers
  • Trailer Name:Casablanca
  • Casita Club Directory #:69

Posted 26 June 2016 - 06:57 PM

Do you know the make and model number of the fridge for that year Casita? Could you also list your specific questions?  Would really help folks give you specific answers.

2014 17' Casita SD

#3 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,249 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 27 June 2016 - 07:39 AM

Does your fridge have a control panel that looks anything like one of these?  It would have an on/off button, then probably a choice for the power source - which could be AC (electric) or Gas (propane), if it is a 2-way fridge.  There is also a 3-way fridge that works on AC, DC (battery) or gas.  There may also be a temperature setting choice.

Dometic Control Panels.jpg

Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#4 Mustang Josi

Mustang Josi
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 02:34 PM

Do you know the make and model number of the fridge for that year Casita? Could you also list your specific questions?  Would really help folks give you specific answers.

It's a dometic 211, the casita is from 1981 and I don't know where the thermostat or any of the switches for it are. Thanks for your help!

#5 Mustang Josi

Mustang Josi
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 02:35 PM

It doesn't have any of that, It is super duper old, I think the original. Dometic 211....

#6 JerryC

JerryC
  • Casita Club Member
  • 540 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2016 ID
  • Interests:Sightseeing, Hiking, Geocaching, Hot Air Ballooning, Touring this great country in our Casita.

Posted 27 June 2016 - 02:57 PM

I think you're going to have to come up with a complete model number, and when you do you may be able to find a manual at this location.  Input the model number and the word "English" in the search box.  I suspect all the controls may be inside the lower outside vent as in some of the sixteen foot models.

http://www.dometicma...equest!OpenForm

Edited by JerryC, 27 June 2016 - 03:00 PM.

• thetravelkids and MGD like this

Jerry & Wanda
2016 ID
Deep South
Sometimes home, but mostly gone
http://eggrollings.blogspot.com/

#7 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,434 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 27 June 2016 - 03:15 PM

Does your fridge have a control panel that looks anything like one of these?  It would have an on/off button, then probably a choice for the power source - which could be AC (electric) or Gas (propane), if it is a 2-way fridge.  There is also a 3-way fridge that works on AC, DC (battery) or gas.  There may also be a temperature setting choice.

attachicon.gifDometic Control Panels.jpg

Carol

She has a 1981 Casita. I don't think her 35 year old 13' Casita would have a fridge remotely close to that of your 17' or even a new 13' fridge only model. I doubt there would even be anything in Eileen's CD that would help much. 

Josi try going to www.fiberglassrv.com as well. There seems to be more vintage fiberglass RVs there. If you can get a model number off of the fridge that might help on that forum or even doing a google search might pull up some information

Good luck .

• U.S.M.C. Don likes this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#8 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,249 posts
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.

Posted 27 June 2016 - 10:09 PM

Well, I just checked the dometic.com site and there is a RM211.  This doc just suggests replacement fridges for older models.  RM211 is #3 on the list.

Attached File  Dometic-RV-full-line-catalog-2014_22329.pdf   489.86KB   217 downloads

PS:  Here are the instructions for the RM211: http://www.nationalserroscotty.org/resources/DometicRM211.pdf

Isn't the internet wonderful?

• clover, Meadowlark, clairemr1 and 1 other like this
Carol Christensen

#9 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17ft. Spirit Exlax
  • Interests:Pole Dancers
  • Trailer Name:Casablanca
  • Casita Club Directory #:69

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:02 AM

Now that Carol was kind enough to find some instructions maybe you can come up with some more specific questions.  It does appear the controls are in the outside compartment that you showed in your photos. I have read the instructions and have a good grasp of how it works.

Make sure you print out the instructions that Carol posted the link for.

That way you'll have the instructions with controls identification when you go through the step by step instructions for starting the refrigerator. You'll need gas tank filled, electrical hookup for 110V and a good battery for the 12vdc checks. If you have any problems send me a PM and we can set a time for me to walk you through it on the phone.

Edited by Wally Z, 28 June 2016 - 08:18 AM.

2014 17' Casita SD

#10 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,249 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 11:00 AM

I sent Josi a PM, hope we hear from her again.  I'm always curious about how thing turned out.

I have also found a Service Manual that has instructions on how to remove/replace the RM211 cooling unit (assuming one was available).  It's a large pdf document but I can post the link if needed.  There may be a User's Manual available for a price.

BTW, the RM211 was used in Triliums and Bolers - some going back to the 70's.  Still working, I suppose.

• Wally Z and clairemr1 like this
Carol Christensen

#11 Mustang Josi

Mustang Josi
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 02:35 PM

Hi gang! Well I got bogged down with life and am just attempting to work on my camper again....Life... whoa. Anyhow, I am making headway on the electical/power situation and will update y'all as I get things figured out. On a side note, all of the cosmetic stuff that I have been doing looks incredible! Photos to come soon! 

#12 thetravelkids

thetravelkids
  • Casita Club Member
  • 328 posts
  • Casita Club Directory #:2583

Posted 05 August 2018 - 04:28 PM

Josi,
The people on this forum are the greatest, but, you may want to let us know where you are. There are Casita owners or former owners in the craziest of places that may be available to help.
No, no one needs your address, but a city and state would be helpful.
Just saying....
Bob & Pat
2012 Evergreen Element ET26SLR - "Ms Ellie"
2007 Casita 17' SD, gone but not forgotten
2018 Ford Expedition XLT
Visit us at www.katrinacasita.wordpress.com

#13 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,930 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 06 August 2018 - 12:31 PM

Josi, you will probably have to replace the propane tanks. These days, propane tanks need to be 'recertified' every 6 years (I think...help me out, folks, if I'm wrong, please post the correct number of years)

It will probably be cheaper, and more advisable in the long run, to just buy new ones. Or refilled ones. Home Depot has a kiosk outside their stores where you can buy filled ones and will take in your used ones.

For that matter, you might want to have the entire propane system checked for safety and serviceability.

Edited by Meadowlark, 06 August 2018 - 12:31 PM.

• NASA42 B likes this

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#14 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,434 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 07 August 2018 - 11:38 AM

Propane tanks are good for 12 years from manufacturing then can be recertified for an additional 5 years. Those dates are stamped on the collar of the propane tank.  It would look something like this

3-06 if it was manufactured in March of 2006

a RIN number (requalifier identification number) is on the collar if it has been recertified 3-18E that means it was recertified in March of 2018 the E stands for 5year more 

If you take it to a propane filling place they can tell you if the tanks are still good. Perhaps the previous owner had replaced them sometime in the past. 

I agree with Meadowlark if in doubt purchase some new tanks. 

• Meadowlark likes this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#15 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,930 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 08 August 2018 - 07:58 AM

Thanks, Clover, I wasn't sure of the time limitations.

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dometic, 1981, 13, fridge