• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 clearly2u

clearly2u
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 05:57 AM

Posted 24 June 2016 - 02:35 AM

I just had my solar suitcase and had it installed with controller. What will it run on Casita? Thanks!

#2 John0923

John0923
  • Casita Club Member
  • 56 posts
  • Local time: 11:57 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2012 17' SD
  • Interests:Ham radio, acoustic musician, fine artist oil and pastels, wood working, reading, cooking, photography.

Posted 24 June 2016 - 05:30 AM

If I understand your question, a solar panel is used to charge your battery. It is not an alternative to shore power. It will not run your air conditioning for example.
John and Judie
W9EM & N9MA
2012 17' SD
2018 Ford F-150

#3 flcoxjr

flcoxjr
  • Casita Club Member
  • 214 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2015 Spirit Deluxe 17

Posted 24 June 2016 - 05:51 AM

The solar panel charges the battery. Lights, furnace fan, and the fantastic fan run off the battery. The AC, microwave, and 120 volt outlets will not run off the battery.

#4 vermilye

vermilye
  • Casita Club Member
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:Photography, travel

Posted 24 June 2016 - 06:14 AM

A 100 watt portable panel that is moved every once in a while to keep it perpendicular to the sun will produce around 30 amp hours per day.  If you check the current draw of your various 12V appliances ( check the list at the bottom of this page) you can determine how much each of your appliances uses.  Combine that with the length of time you use each appliance & you come up with the amp hours you use each day.  This post describes the process of doing an energy audit.

As long as the panel produces more than you use, the battery will stay charged.  Use more, and the battery will lose charge, eventually requiring you recharge it from your converter (by plugging into a pedestal) or hooking up to your tow vehicle (if it provides a charge line).  

• Meadowlark likes this

#5 Casita Banana

Casita Banana
  • Casita Club Member
  • 18 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:'93 16SD solar powered
  • Interests:Kayaking, hiking, photography, dry camping, intellectual pursuits
  • Trailer Name:Casita Banana

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:54 AM

If you have enough battery storage (I have two AGM batteries) and large enough inverter (1000 watt), you can run a bit more than that. I routinely run my microwave, a drip coffee maker and pretty much everything else except the AC off my system without discharging more than 10% or so. But I also have two 100 watt solar panels.

#6 Ros M

Ros M
  • Casita Club Member
  • 151 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:none

Posted 24 June 2016 - 08:12 AM

A 100 watt portable panel that is moved every once in a while to keep it perpendicular to the sun will produce around 30 amp hours per day.  If you check the current draw of your various 12V appliances ( check the list at the bottom of this page) you can determine how much each of your appliances uses.  Combine that with the length of time you use each appliance & you come up with the amp hours you use each day.  This post describes the process of doing an energy audit.

As long as the panel produces more than you use, the battery will stay charged.  Use more, and the battery will lose charge, eventually requiring you recharge it from your converter (by plugging into a pedestal) or hooking up to your tow vehicle (if it provides a charge line).  

Wow! Very good information.
I struggle understanding electrical amps, voltage, wattage, and anything dealing with electricity. I have been reading as much as I can, everywhere I can, to help me catch on to how it all works.
Definately saving this read.
Thank you
  • MGD likes this

#7 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,982 posts
  • Local time: 08:57 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 24 June 2016 - 09:03 AM

"I don't need to know how it works; I just want it TO work"

said of computers by Anonymous

• MGD likes this

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#8 MGD

MGD
  • Casita Club Member
  • 236 posts
  • Local time: 09:57 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' FD
  • Interests:Eclectic.
  • Trailer Name:Casitaminophen

Posted 24 June 2016 - 09:53 AM

At my place of employment, we have someone who keeps the computers, servers, phones and network working. (That would be me.)

In the case of a Casita, most of us need to take on that "keep it working task" ourselves, or be willing to pay someone else to do it. In the case of many of the subsystems, that means knowing HOW it works.

#9 Ros M

Ros M
  • Casita Club Member
  • 151 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:none

Posted 24 June 2016 - 10:06 AM

At my place of employment, we have someone who keeps the computers, servers, phones and network working. (That would be me.)

In the case of a Casita, most of us need to take on that "keep it working task" ourselves, or be willing to pay someone else to do it. In the case of many of the subsystems, that means knowing HOW it works.

I so agree!
I believe that unless you get to that point, you are never truly "off grid".

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Solar