#1 debbwa

debbwa
  • Casita Club Member
  • 16 posts
  • Local time: 04:28 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:'98 SD 16'
  • Trailer Name:Gypsy III

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:20 AM

I purchased a Verandah room screen room for my '98 16' LD, but the spline will not slide through the groove on the front rail of the awning. Also not thrilled with the idea of drilling holes in the camper for the toggles to attach the sides and skirt, so I'm going to make my own. 

Thought it might be a good idea to hit you guys up with what I am thinking and get your thoughts, insights before I begin production.

The room needs to attach to the camper, and needs to be cat-proof (meaning my cat can't get out). This will be a safety net to catch him if he bolts when I go in and out the camper as well as an outdoor space for him to hang out (and to keep the litter box). FYI, I'm considering using the curb-side storage hatch as a "cat door," access for Spencer to go in and out through the kitchen cabinet. 

Here is what I'm thinking:

Using a 10x10 EZ up screen room panel (it's a 40' continuous run screen with 6" of Nylon fabric on top and bottom edges), I think I'll sew a tarp to the bottom as a floor. Or else just extend the length of the fabric on the bottom of the screen so I can tuck it under a patio rug to keep Spencer from being able to escape under the screen walls. 

I will use the camper awning as the roof. To keep the screen attached to the sides of the camper I will sew pockets along the vertical edges of the screen and run a bungee cord that I will hook into holes that are already in the awning container and to the underside of the camper somewhere.

I am undecided about how to hook the top of the screen to the awning sides. I thought about alligator clips or similar, but wonder if they will pull off in a strong wind. Running a bungee from the camper to the awning legs does not sound good to me, because of the tension the bungees will put on the legs/awning pulling it back toward the camper. Maybe that's not an issue if the rafters are locked?

I don't know what I will do to attach the screen to the front, since the groove in the awning tube seems uncooperative. Maybe a bungee along the tube.

Regarding the underside of the camper, I have some strong magnets with hooks on them that feel like a strong bond on the steel chassis of the camper. I will extend the tarp floor under the camper (with a slit to get around the wheel) and scoop it up and attach to the chassis. I will also have to do some creative cutting/sewing of the screen to extend the side walls under the camper as well.

I know you guys will see faults in my idea and possible improvements based on your experiences. Please let me know what you think!

Thanks!

deb 
  •  

#2 stratos175

stratos175
  • Casita Club Member
  • 212 posts
  • Local time: 05:28 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Spirit
  • Interests:hiking, kayaking, disc golf and spending time in in our Casita.
  • Trailer Name:Matilda

Posted 06 July 2016 - 03:01 AM

Hi Deb,

WOW you are quite handy, wish my brain thought like yours :).

As far as the side go not sure if this would work but we just got back from a trip and my other half came up with a great idea. We took regular plastic shower curtain rings and hung cotton shower curtains to one side, the site we had had no privacy on that side. It worked almost perfectly, had to tie it down on the corners to keep the wind from blowing it but now we have sewed some weights to the bottom so should be good to go next time.

Safe travels and post some pictures when you get this completed.

Steve and Patty

#3 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 993 posts
  • Local time: 01:28 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 06 July 2016 - 08:07 AM

That sounds like the cat's pajamas!

catspajamas.jpg

Sorry, just had to do it...

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Super Dooper Deluxe

2016 Chevy Silverado, Crew Cab 5.8L V-8, 4X4

2004 Nissan Frontier, Crew Cab, V-6 2WD

Casita Club # 2754

#4 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts
  • Local time: 01:28 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17ft. Spirit Exlax
  • Interests:Pole Dancers
  • Trailer Name:Casablanca
  • Casita Club Directory #:69

Posted 06 July 2016 - 08:42 AM

Debbwa, if possible please supply us with some photos. Does the screen room have a rope hemmed on the edge that is suppose to slide into the awning groove? If it does, is the rope too big? If yes, can you change it out with smaller diameter rope?

Having a visual of what you're planning would really help us come up with ideas.

2014 17' Casita SD

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: screen room, cat, DIY