7 replies to this topic

#1 MisterMoz

MisterMoz
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 05:54 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Looking

Posted 17 May 2016 - 06:13 PM

My wife and I are going to be buying a Casita trailer, probably next year. This year we are taking a trip around Lake Superior. We have been looking to rent a small trailer and were hoping we could find a Casita to rent so that we could try it before we buy it. I have found other small trailers in Minnesota but not a single Casita.

We live in the Minneapolis St Paul area and were hoping that maybe there is a Casita owner in the area who would be willing to rent their trailer from July 16-25. We would be happy to pay market rental value. We would include a damage deposit and we would insure it with our auto insurance company and could provide a certificate of coverage. We are both responsible professionals who love to travel and adventure.

If you think you might be interested in discussing this proposal please let me know.

Ted and Deb

#2 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts
  • Local time: 03:54 AM
  • Interests:Travel (duh!); bird hunting and bird dogs; flintlock hunting; history; rural life; Irish archeology; lots of other stuff, too.
  • Trailer Name:OTRA
  • Casita Club Directory #:1240

Posted 17 May 2016 - 06:50 PM

Best of luck to you, Ted & Deb. This is (maybe!) just me, but I am horrified by the idea of renting OTRA. I think that most, if not all, Casita owners become very much attached to their 'little houses,' as I am sure you will, too, once you have officially 'joined the club.' I'm not saying that you won't be able to find a Casita rental, just that it is pretty unlikely IMO.

(PS... Do I remember reading somewhere that the military bought some Casitas for rental to mil-folk? Seems to ring a bell...)

• clairemr1 likes this
"OTRA" (On The Road Again)
2003 17' Spirit Deluxe #1240
2004 2500HD Duramax Diesel Crewcab

The Sandhills of 'East Wyoming'

#3 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,420 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 18 May 2016 - 07:43 AM

Some military bases have standard(no bathroom) Casitas to rent and often with the bunk beds. On several of my trips to the factory they had those sitting on the lot awaiting pickup/delivery. Others(military folk) on the forum have also spoke of them being available on some bases. 

There is a company in DFW area that rents Casitas. 

http://www.campers4r...ervations.shtml

https://www.rvmenu.c...irit-deluxe-965

you might call to get an idea of what it might cost you to rent one. 

you might also post an ad on this forum and on Craig's List.

I would agree with Plainsman that many/most Casita owners are very possessive (bonded) to their Casitas. 

My guess you have found Scamps in Minnesota. You might expand your searching to surrounding states, if you are willing to drive a little distance. I know if a very nice 2006 model in Southern Indiana.

Good luck & have fun!!

• U.S.M.C. Don likes this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#4 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,423 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 18 May 2016 - 05:45 PM

someone on here in 2013 mentioned "www.camperstogo", you might try them or another rv rental company near you. i would think the chance of a casita owner being willing to rent out his/her own casita is very remote, as it would create an insurance liability nightmare.good luck in your search

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#5 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts
  • Local time: 03:54 AM
  • Interests:Travel (duh!); bird hunting and bird dogs; flintlock hunting; history; rural life; Irish archeology; lots of other stuff, too.
  • Trailer Name:OTRA
  • Casita Club Directory #:1240

Posted 18 May 2016 - 05:50 PM

Claire brings up an insurance angle I never thought of. I didn't get that far. Seeing OTRA driven off by 'strangers' would be intolerable. And the dogs would throw a hissy fit the likes of which has never been seen before! :)

• clairemr1 likes this
"OTRA" (On The Road Again)
2003 17' Spirit Deluxe #1240
2004 2500HD Duramax Diesel Crewcab

The Sandhills of 'East Wyoming'

#6 NASA42 B

NASA42 B
  • Casita Club Member
  • 505 posts
  • Local time: 06:54 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty 17 Deluxe
  • Interests:Family, Reading, RVing, History, some community service, and my rescue cat named "Alley" at home...
  • Trailer Name:NASA42 - B

Posted 20 May 2016 - 01:23 PM

MisterMoz.....

I am attaching a link below for a youtube video re the 17' Casita.....featuring one rented from a Dallas-Fort Worth outfit.  About 80% of the way thru the video a front view shows the outfit's decal...    The video is several years old.  Hope this helps.....

Frank  :rolleyes:

#7 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,420 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 21 May 2016 - 05:25 AM

MisterMoz.....

I am attaching a link below for a youtube video re the 17' Casita.....featuring one rented from a Dallas-Fort Worth outfit.  About 80% of the way thru the video a front view shows the outfit's decal...    The video is several years old.  Hope this helps.....

Frank  :rolleyes:

same outfit as the link I posted above

https://www.rvmenu.c...irit-deluxe-965

• U.S.M.C. Don likes this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#8 NASA42 B

NASA42 B
  • Casita Club Member
  • 505 posts
  • Local time: 06:54 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty 17 Deluxe
  • Interests:Family, Reading, RVing, History, some community service, and my rescue cat named "Alley" at home...
  • Trailer Name:NASA42 - B

Posted 21 May 2016 - 10:10 AM

Clover.....

Sorry for the duplication.....didn't recognize the "DFW" in your post (and didn't click on it then).

Frank :rolleyes: