22 replies to this topic

#1 Oblong

Oblong
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 02:21 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Deciding on size

Posted 08 May 2016 - 12:30 PM

We have 5 small rescue dogs. Do most camp grounds have a limit? I know some do not allow pets

#2 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,296 posts
  • Local time: 01:21 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 08 May 2016 - 03:12 PM

We travel with two dogs and have never had a problem.  Keep in mind.....some campgrounds charge a fee per dog. A few private campgrounds do allow dogs and.....I've seen a few that don't allow certain breeds.  Five dogs is a lot.....please take lots of pooper bags.......some people aren't very good about picking up.  Our dogs are also rescues......thanks for adopting yours!  Safe travels.

• Leehman Wexlin, Meadowlark, Lazy-B and 1 other like this

#3 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Travel (duh!); bird hunting and bird dogs; flintlock hunting; history; rural life; Irish archeology; lots of other stuff, too.
  • Trailer Name:OTRA
  • Casita Club Directory #:1240

Posted 08 May 2016 - 04:27 PM

By any standard, five dogs qualifies as 'a lot'!  I have no experience with lots of RV parks, but I am sure that some (many? most?) are likely to balk at such a number. The most I have traveled with is three: two medium-large and one small and we almost never 'do' the RV-park thing. I would suggest you try NF dispersed sites, where there is likely to be no problem at all, keeping in mind that coyotes and mountain lions consider small-dog a delicacy.

As a traveling dog owner I would plead with you to be extra diligent in cleaning up after your pals. Nothing does us gypsy-dog-lovers as much harm as owners who do not clean up after their buddies. It builds hatred and resentment against us all, whether we deserve it or not.

Good luck and happy travelin'!

• latte, SKYTALKER, Beetlefreak and 5 others like this
"OTRA" (On The Road Again)
2003 17' Spirit Deluxe #1240
2004 2500HD Duramax Diesel Crewcab

The Sandhills of 'East Wyoming'

#4 Oblong

Oblong
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Deciding on size

Posted 08 May 2016 - 05:26 PM

I know what you mean, about peeps not cleaning up after their pups. We have neighbors that take their dog for walk so they do their duty some where else. Cleaning up after your pups comes with dog ownership.
  • SKYTALKER, Beetlefreak, Meadowlark and 2 others like this

#5 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,371 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 08 May 2016 - 10:45 PM

I cannot speak for RV parks since we rarely stay in them.  We have had 3 dogs in public campgrounds with no problem.  And have camped near people with more that have used those dog playpens to keep their dogs contained.  Since yours are small you could probably do the same without a problem.  Especially, if you don't walk them all at the same time.

Almost every dog we have owned has been a rescue (plus a couple of cats), it's very rewarding to give them a forever home.

• Dutchman, Leehman Wexlin, K&C and 6 others like this
Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#6 TumaloTed

TumaloTed
  • Casita Club Member
  • 25 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2016 17 Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:2012 Toyota Highlander
    2011 Jayco Eagle 28ft. TT
    2010 Chevy 2500 Silverado
    Member: Good Sam, Escapees, Elks
    Winters spent at jojobohills.com

Posted 06 June 2016 - 08:56 PM

A number of commercial campgrounds have a 2 dog limit + breed restrictions.  Always ask before you get there.

#7 Beetlefreak

Beetlefreak
  • Casita Club Member
  • 131 posts
  • Local time: 04:21 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2010 Liberty
  • Interests:Finding a good adventure

Posted 08 June 2016 - 01:21 PM

By any standard, five dogs qualifies as 'a lot'!  I have no experience with lots of RV parks, but I am sure that some (many? most?) are likely to balk at such a number. The most I have traveled with is three: two medium-large and one small and we almost never 'do' the RV-park thing. I would suggest you try NF dispersed sites, where there is likely to be no problem at all, keeping in mind that coyotes and mountain lions consider small-dog a delicacy.

As a traveling dog owner I would plead with you to be extra diligent in cleaning up after your pals. Nothing does us gypsy-dog-lovers as much harm as owners who do not clean up after their buddies. It builds hatred and resentment against us all, whether we deserve it or not.

Good luck and happy travelin'!

Well said.  I hate seeing dog poop and I hate even more stepping in it and that is why I pick up after my buddy.  Now I am trying to train him to pee only on weeds and not mailboxes or ornamental shrubs.  Its amazing, I think he gets it.

So much fun - So little time
Beetlefreak.com

#8 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17ft. Spirit Exlax
  • Interests:Pole Dancers
  • Trailer Name:Casablanca
  • Casita Club Directory #:69

Posted 08 June 2016 - 01:47 PM

Smells like poop! Looks like poop! Taste like poop!  Sure glad I didn't step in it.! :rofl:

2014 17' Casita SD

#9 Beetlefreak

Beetlefreak
  • Casita Club Member
  • 131 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2010 Liberty
  • Interests:Finding a good adventure

Posted 08 June 2016 - 03:31 PM

Cheborneck  -  One of my favorites

• Wally Z likes this
So much fun - So little time
Beetlefreak.com

#10 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Travel (duh!); bird hunting and bird dogs; flintlock hunting; history; rural life; Irish archeology; lots of other stuff, too.
  • Trailer Name:OTRA
  • Casita Club Directory #:1240

Posted 08 June 2016 - 04:53 PM

Wally! Shame, shame! (What kind of wormer are you using? :)

We don't stay at many (almost none!) RV 'parks'. But I can remember using a very nice dog park,where there were park-provided pooper-scoopers and bags in plain sight at the gate, and STILL finding puppy-offerings on the ground in there. Did it p-me-off? Guess.

• Meadowlark, Jerrybob, clairemr1 and 1 other like this
"OTRA" (On The Road Again)
2003 17' Spirit Deluxe #1240
2004 2500HD Duramax Diesel Crewcab

The Sandhills of 'East Wyoming'

#11 Steamboat

Steamboat
  • Casita Club Member
  • 188 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2016 17' ID
  • Trailer Name:Steamboat

Posted 08 June 2016 - 06:59 PM

Go ahead Plainsman...tell us how you really felt! Please forgive my humor...just nice to see that not everyone is smitten with the PC nonsense! I get upset daily and with no regrets. Keep posting your honesty!

Karl & Norma with Scout "The Wonder Dog"

2013 Honda Pilot AWD - EX-L

#12 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 07:48 AM

We have a walking path along a river near our home.  Many folks walk their dogs there including me. A traveler stopped to walk the path with her dog.....one of our dogs and I were also walking that day.  As we came down the path.....her dog was taking care of business near a sign that read.....Please pick up after your dog.  The lady started to walk away and I suggested she pick up after her dog.  She replied that she forgot  a poop bag. I offered a bag.....she declined and laughed and said.....Oh it really doesn't matter.  I told her it does matter.....she continued walking.  I picked up after her dog and later left her dogs poop bag behind the driver seat in her car with a note that read......Poop Matters with a smiley face.  Not sure when she discovered it but I wish I'd have been there.         

• Carol Christensen, Plainsman, Meadowlark and 3 others like this

#13 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,291 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:36 AM

Jerrybob you are Da MAN. THANK you. Plainsman and others are right, nothing pees me off more than when I see a dog walker kindasorta forget their dog's mess. You'll see them looking absorbedly in any other direction but their dog's.  Arrrghhh.

• Jerrybob and clairemr1 like this

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#14 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,371 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 02 August 2016 - 02:24 PM

On the way home from the Oregon Coast Gathering, we stopped at a rest stop.  It had lots of nice grass and picnic tables, AND plenty of signs - some for "no dogs allowed on the grass" and others with arrows for approved dog areas.  I watched a women get out of the car with small dogs, walk directly to the No Dogs on Grass sign and let the dogs to their thing; not a minute later another women came along, stopped at the same sign and let her dogs to the same.  Of course, neither cleaned up after them.  Really, are these people brain-dead or what?

• Jerrybob likes this
Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#15 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 08:50 AM

On the way home from the Oregon Coast Gathering, we stopped at a rest stop.  It had lots of nice grass and picnic tables, AND plenty of signs - some for "no dogs allowed on the grass" and others with arrows for approved dog areas.  I watched a women get out of the car with small dogs, walk directly to the No Dogs on Grass sign and let the dogs to their thing; not a minute later another women came along, stopped at the same sign and let her dogs to the same.  Of course, neither cleaned up after them.  Really, are these people brain-dead or what?

Some people just don't care and are rude..........I kinda feel sorry for their dogs.......must be hard to have such a stupid owner.