• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 robertplattbell

robertplattbell
  • Casita Club Member
  • 259 posts
  • Local time: 03:48 AM

Posted 17 April 2016 - 05:15 PM

So we are in Jasper, B.C., and the fridge stops working.  1999 Casita.  It works fine on A/C but on gas the temperature goes warm.  We have a digital thermometer in the fridge/freezer so we can monitor the temperatures.  On electric, it is 38/7 degF, on gas, 60/40.

The Dometic manual offers only one option for self-service - clean the orifice.   I remove the flame cover and then remove the pilot/sparker housing.  The orfice cap has a weird socket size - metric or something in the 64ths rage.  But it does come off.  Looking at it, it appears to have a piece of red plastic across the cover, with a tiny, tiny hole in it.

The manual says to soak it in wood alcohol, but all we have is Vodka.   An hour in the vodka, I gently blow it clean and it seems to be larger in diameter.   Rather than waste it, I drink the vodka.

I re-install the orifice and an hour later, the fridge is running at 38/0 degF on setting 2 (where we tend to leave it).

I ended up re-doing this again with real wood alcohol, and the fridge is running like a champ, after 17 years.

Once again, though, I will have to repaint the door frame with Rustoleum Khaki spay paint, as it continues to rust (it is galvanized steel, but 17 years is a long time).

Refrigerator%2BOverhaul%2B009.JPG

If your fridge works on electric, but not on gas, check your orifice.  

#2 borderbrae

borderbrae
  • Casita Club Member (c)
  • 1,013 posts
  • Local time: 06:48 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2000 17' SD
  • Interests:Travel, photography

Posted 18 April 2016 - 06:25 AM

On the Casita forum there is an excellent guide for cleaning the jet, with photos, http://www.casitafor...frigerator-jet/.)*  At least once if you're taking it apart enough to clean the jet you probably should remove the burner, too (just remove another screw) and put some compressed air though it, too. It may be a little fiddly to get out and put back in but it makes sense to do it at least once. Be sure when putting it back you get the screw snug but do not over tighten. That will strip the threads very quickly and you'll have to find a larger screw to make it snug again (the metal the screw goes into is very soft). 

The jet needs a 10mm wrench to remove it. I have cleaned with just a bit of compressed air, I don't use any liquids. The "red plastic" is actually a ruby, not plastic. 

If you get familiar with the size of the flame when the gas is burning correctly, and the amount of heat coming out the top vent you can learn to tell when the jet is clogged. The heat won't be as hot and if you check the flame it won't be as high. 

*to access anything on that forum you have to be signed in. 

Edited by borderbrae, 18 April 2016 - 03:18 PM.

• Wally Z likes this
Jean
2000 SD 17'
2011 Silverado w/Prodigy BC
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much (and take lots of photos along the way)
www.jeanclarkphotography.com
www.borderbrae.wordpress.com

#3 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts
  • Local time: 02:48 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17ft. Spirit Exlax
  • Interests:Pole Dancers
  • Trailer Name:Casablanca
  • Casita Club Directory #:69

Posted 18 April 2016 - 07:22 AM

I tried that link and it won't work.  I thought this was the Casita forum. :lol: 

2014 17' Casita SD

#4 TravelswithBarley

TravelswithBarley
  • Casita Club Member
  • 30 posts
  • Local time: 05:48 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2000 16' Casita SD

Posted 18 April 2016 - 07:31 AM

I did a video on cleaning the orifice here: 

It was done on my Dometic RM2202 but the fundamentals will be the same for other models.

Bill 

• Wally Z likes this

#5 Southern Comfort

Southern Comfort
  • Casita Club Member
  • 350 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 Spirit
  • Interests:cooking,golf,fishing,hiking,

Posted 18 April 2016 - 02:58 PM

Have you not had to replace the cooling unit yet? If not, won't be long. I did mine last year. 2003 vintage. Actually, I did it twice. First time, I did not get the unit sealed good enough and it would not get as cold as it should. It would keep ice but, it would take days for ice to freeze in the trays. Took it back apart and used a liberal amount of the spray foam this time. That puppy gets cold now.. My rebuilt unit would not fit as flush as it should into the opening leaving a little gap between the back of the freezer and the steel tubes of the cooling unit. Experience is the best teacher but dog gone, Glad to still have my old school, manual fridge. Not too complicated.

#6 borderbrae

borderbrae
  • Casita Club Member (c)
  • 1,013 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2000 17' SD
  • Interests:Travel, photography

Posted 18 April 2016 - 03:20 PM

Wally, I did note that to access stuff on that forum you have to be signed it. 

Wow, a lot more work to get at the one in the small fridge than it is on the ones in the 17' trailers! Glad I have the one I have! 

• Wally Z likes this
Jean
2000 SD 17'
2011 Silverado w/Prodigy BC
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much (and take lots of photos along the way)
www.jeanclarkphotography.com
www.borderbrae.wordpress.com

#7 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,272 posts
  • Local time: 03:48 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:00 AM

A clean orifice is just good trailer hygiene!  Safe travels! 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dometic, refrigerator