Photo

Where Did You Route Your Solar Wires Inside Your Casita?

solar wiring

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,289 posts
  • Local time: 10:15 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 15 April 2016 - 07:34 AM

Excellent insights y'all, thanks for weighing in! Follow up question: for fixed-mount folks, where do you put your charge controller?

My charge controller is mounted against the bulkhead under the rear seat of my 17SD dinette.  I don't need to see it so it's out of the way.  I have a Trimetic how-goes-it-panel mounted high up on the divider. Tells me % charged (discharged), amps in or out and rate of charge and discharge. 

Dutchman

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#17 TravelswithBarley

TravelswithBarley
  • Casita Club Member
  • 30 posts
  • Local time: 12:15 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2000 16' Casita SD

Posted 16 April 2016 - 10:41 AM

I drilled a hole above the bathroom door behind the carpet in the center of the roof. I siliconed the wire in from above and then ran the wire along the channel between the outer wall and the bathroom wall.  I did a video of the mounting and where I ran the wiring here 

Bill

#18 SouthwestDude

SouthwestDude
  • Casita Club Member
  • 30 posts
  • Local time: 09:15 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2016 Spirit Deluxe 17
  • Interests:My family, nature, photography, hiking, reading, travel, camping, Liverpool FC, meditation, writing.
  • Trailer Name:El Correcaminos

Posted 16 April 2016 - 02:05 PM

Bill,

I am a HUGE fan of your videos. This one, as usual, was very informative and easy to understand. Keep 'em coming!

"Doc" and Lupe Hubbard
"El Correcaminos"
2016 SD 17
SouthwestDude.com

#19 EdKH

EdKH
  • Casita Club Member
  • 449 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 06:22 PM

solar Voltage control wide.JPG

Solar Casita attachment.JPG

Ran the solar panel cable straight down behind the carpet to the corner of the microwave cabinet,  Mounted the controller at the entry on the left side next to the Microwave.  Ran the cable from there down behind the frig, under the sink, over the furnace, along the potable water tank, under the kick board at the back to the battery.

#20 TumaloTed

TumaloTed
  • Casita Club Member
  • 25 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2016 17 Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:2012 Toyota Highlander
    2011 Jayco Eagle 28ft. TT
    2010 Chevy 2500 Silverado
    Member: Good Sam, Escapees, Elks
    Winters spent at jojobohills.com

Posted 04 May 2016 - 06:02 PM

Wally,  could you post a pic of your controller's location??  Whose controller did you use?  What size wiring did you use?   While larger wire has less voltage loss,  I'm thinking 8 or 10 gauge should be adequate.   What attachment screws/rivets/bolts did you use to attach panel to roof??

FWIW,  I have two smaller panels (64 + 80 watt) on my Jayco with 10 gauge wire to the controller and from the controller to a junction box under our bed,  and then 8 gauge to our two 6 volt batteries on the front A frame.  It works great and batteries are usually up to 14 volts by 11am on sunny days,  and batts get up to 13.5 volts on cloudy days.

#21 Beetlefreak

Beetlefreak
  • Casita Club Member
  • 131 posts
  • Local time: 12:15 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2010 Liberty
  • Interests:Finding a good adventure

Posted 07 May 2016 - 11:31 AM

Excellent insights y'all, thanks for weighing in! Follow up question: for fixed-mount folks, where do you put your charge controller?

Charge controller should be as close to the battery as possible to minimize wire resistance.  I mounted mine on the side of the battery box.  I ran all of the wires from my panels to a junction box on the roof over the overhead compartment just in back of the street side window.  From that junction box I ran #4 gage wire directly to the fuse box and then the charge controller.  Minimize wire length and maximize wire gage to improve efficiency.

In my opinion fixed panels are the way to go but that is because I am basically a lazy guy and don't want to hassle with storing and setting up and taking down the solar panel(s).  There is also the benefit of charging while you are traveling.  Because my panels are fixed i added additional panels so that I wouldn't have to be concerned with orientation to the sun.  We have been "most timing" for the last couple of years and boon docking whenever possible and electricity is never a concern.  A lot of people ask me if I travel with the panels on the roof.  They have been there for almost 4 years and 50,000 miles and haven't had any damage yet.

IMG_2198.jpg

So much fun - So little time
Beetlefreak.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: solar, wiring