#1 heidipie88

heidipie88
  • Casita Club Member
  • 5 posts
  • Local time: 08:10 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:1997 Patriot 13'

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:45 AM

Hello,

I just purchased a 1997 13' Patriot standard (see below). I love love love it, but I just discovered, during a torrential rainstorm, that it has a major leak through an external air conditioner installed in the rear window. I am heartbroken, and not real handy. Any suggestions for a solution? I'm considering trying to locate and buy an original sliding window and having someone remove the air con unit and replace with this. But I really would like air con because I will use it in Baja!

Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks much! 

Also, I Casita-Van.jpg

#2 Leehman Wexlin

Leehman Wexlin
  • Casita Club Member
  • 441 posts
  • Local time: 11:10 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit 17
  • Interests:photography, sailing, wood working, music

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:15 AM

Not familiar with the location of the ac on the 13 patriot. Check their website for placement.
Joan Jane Leehman

http://leehman.smugmug.com/

#3 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,451 posts
  • Local time: 10:10 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:33 AM

heidi, i responded to you on a duplicate thread. just realized from this posting that the ac is in the back window. that was a common location for the older patriot standards. also please check your other posting..................

Edited by clairemr1, 24 March 2016 - 10:34 AM.

• Wally Z likes this

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#4 Tom Haberski

Tom Haberski
  • Casita Club Member
  • 172 posts
  • Local time: 09:10 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:1996 16' LD

Posted 24 March 2016 - 02:20 PM

Sorry for your woes.  You might have your best luck checking with a local RV repair place for an evaluation of your problem.  The rear window AC on a '97 may be a previous owners modification.  I have a '96 16 foot Casita, similar to your Patriot in style and age and the AC is mounted in the lower closet area between the bathroom and entrance door.  That is, I think, standard practice of that vintage on 13' and 16' rigs, and still used today.

A window mounted AC puts a lot of stress on its attachment points and sealing integrity as it overhangs so much with heavy components cantilevered away.  Bouncing down the road is very rough and tough on anything attached that way.  And you do bounce....an awful lot.

2 options come to mind:  fix and reinforce what you have or move the AC location to the front of the trailer as is standard.  Another suggestion is to place the AC in the window ONLY when you need it.  A pain, but some gain.

The other caution is to be sure your water leakage is from the AC.  I've had to reseal my roof top vent and side windows from rain water getting in through them.  Old rig......equals repair/maintenance work.

bon voyage

#5 heidipie88

heidipie88
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 5 posts
  • Local time: 08:10 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:1997 Patriot 13'

Posted 04 April 2016 - 05:53 AM

Sorry for your woes.  You might have your best luck checking with a local RV repair place for an evaluation of your problem.  The rear window AC on a '97 may be a previous owners modification.  I have a '96 16 foot Casita, similar to your Patriot in style and age and the AC is mounted in the lower closet area between the bathroom and entrance door.  That is, I think, standard practice of that vintage on 13' and 16' rigs, and still used today.

A window mounted AC puts a lot of stress on its attachment points and sealing integrity as it overhangs so much with heavy components cantilevered away.  Bouncing down the road is very rough and tough on anything attached that way.  And you do bounce....an awful lot.

2 options come to mind:  fix and reinforce what you have or move the AC location to the front of the trailer as is standard.  Another suggestion is to place the AC in the window ONLY when you need it.  A pain, but some gain.

The other caution is to be sure your water leakage is from the AC.  I've had to reseal my roof top vent and side windows from rain water getting in through them.  Old rig......equals repair/maintenance work.

bon voyage

Thank you! This is great information. Keeping in mind what you've mentioned, I'm headed to an RV repair place to see if I can get some help. Cheers!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Leaks, bunkbeds, window air conditioner, rear window