Bypass Valve

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Perris

Perris
  • Casita Club Member
  • 9 posts
  • Local time: 07:08 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Have a 2015 Patroit 13ft.
  • Interests:Trailer pulling, sports, people watching, laughing, meeting new friends, camping, world travel, just having fun.

Posted 20 March 2016 - 08:45 AM

The manual says there is a heater bypass valve near heater. So far, can't find it. However, there is a valve in the clothes closet. It is just to the left inside the door. Is this the bypass valve or is it for something else? Thank you.

Perris

#2 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts
  • Local time: 06:08 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17ft. Spirit Exlax
  • Interests:Pole Dancers
  • Trailer Name:Casablanca
  • Casita Club Directory #:69

Posted 20 March 2016 - 09:30 AM

The valve in the closet is probably the shower drain.  The bypass valve is by the hot water heater accessed from inside of trailer. Assuming you have one that is.

BValve2_zpsjrdtjrkw.jpg

2014 17' Casita SD

#3 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,432 posts
  • Local time: 08:08 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 20 March 2016 - 09:32 AM

the hot water bypass valve on mine is accessed from inside the trailer, under the bench, behind the door on the interior side where the hot water plumbing is located.. it's a gold valve and kind of hard to see at first glance. since i'm full timing, i keep it open all the time and won't close it unless i need to winterize the trailer for storage at some point. i don't see that happening anytime soon. see wally z's great pic above to see what that valve looks like.

the closet valve you're referring to is to open and close the shower drain, which drains into your gray tank. again, i leave mine open all the time since i'm full timing. when i move the trailer, i dump the gray tank, but if i can't dump before getting on the road, i close that closet valve so gray water doesn't slosh back up into the shower. just don't forget to reopen that valve, or you'll be standing in ankle -deep water during your next shower! on older trailers, that valve is located outside the trailer so folks would have to jump out to open it in the same situation. be glad ours is inside the closet right next to the shower!

Edited by clairemr1, 20 March 2016 - 09:35 AM.

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#4 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts
  • Local time: 06:08 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17ft. Spirit Exlax
  • Interests:Pole Dancers
  • Trailer Name:Casablanca
  • Casita Club Directory #:69

Posted 20 March 2016 - 09:34 AM

Is there an echo in here? :lol2:

2014 17' Casita SD

#5 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,432 posts
  • Local time: 08:08 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 20 March 2016 - 10:14 AM

no echo, just 2 responders typing within 2 minutes of each other, it happens....................like the old saying goes "great minds, etc etc etc"

Edited by clairemr1, 20 March 2016 - 11:45 AM.

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#6 Leehman Wexlin

Leehman Wexlin
  • Casita Club Member
  • 441 posts
  • Local time: 10:08 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit 17
  • Interests:photography, sailing, wood working, music

Posted 20 March 2016 - 01:33 PM

The valve in the closet is probably the shower drain.  The bypass valve is by the hot water heater accessed from inside of trailer. Assuming you have one that is.

BValve2_zpsjrdtjrkw.jpg

On my Casita you can not fully close the bypass valve without loosening the hose fitting underneath the valve. I found this out after I noticed water leaking from the bottom of the Casita from the stanction that holds the rear table. What a mess it made. Quality control at Casita is lacking..........
  • Wally Z likes this
Joan Jane Leehman

http://leehman.smugmug.com/

#7 Perris

Perris
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 9 posts
  • Local time: 07:08 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Have a 2015 Patroit 13ft.
  • Interests:Trailer pulling, sports, people watching, laughing, meeting new friends, camping, world travel, just having fun.

Posted 21 March 2016 - 03:53 PM

Thanks to all. Found the valve by feel. Awkward now as bed is down. Will get better look at home. I had forgotten about the drain valve till after I posted. I did the sink trap mod on my 17 so didn't use the valve.
Perris