15 replies to this topic

#1 Citesan

Citesan
  • Casita Club Member
  • 19 posts
  • Local time: 02:54 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17 Spirit Deluxe

Posted 18 March 2016 - 04:21 PM

Hi. I have a big problem I hope y'all can help me with. My towing vehicle will not charge my towing battery. I have done lots of things to correct this. Wire from battery directly to hook up. New battery. Turn fridge off while driving. New hook up on towing vehicle I did not have this problem after I left Casita with the new Casita but I bought a new vehicle and then the problems started. I have taken it to the people who put the hook up in the new towing vehicle and they are baffled. I also had to splice the cable on the casita. Any troubleshooting ideas will be welcome. Thanks

#2 Citesan

Citesan
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 04:23 PM

IN the first line I meant to say the battery in the Casita

#3 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts
  • Local time: 11:54 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17ft. Spirit Exlax
  • Interests:Pole Dancers
  • Trailer Name:Casablanca
  • Casita Club Directory #:69

Posted 18 March 2016 - 05:18 PM

Here's what the connections should be.

It's the black wire 12vdc vehicle side you need to make sure you have voltage there when tow vehicle is running. (Key on)  If it's good then go back and check the voltage at the battery while tow vehicle is running.  You should see 13vdc to 14vdc range.  See what the difference is between voltage at battery when tow vehicle is running and when it's not.  If there is no difference check the auto reset circuit breaker that is mounted to battery box. Access it through the bench seat inside your trailer.  That might be a good place to start actually. Let us know what you find.  Notice ground is a white wire.

7-Way_zpsuqsvys1t.jpg

Edited by Wally Z, 18 March 2016 - 05:20 PM.

2014 17' Casita SD

#4 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
  • Local time: 12:54 PM
  • Interests:Member Since
    Jan 21 2005
  • Trailer Name:AZ Snowball

Posted 18 March 2016 - 11:28 PM

Follow Wally z's good advice. If there is no power at the hot wire on the tow vehicle the newer tow vehicles have a fuse that must be installed under the hood in the fuse block to activate the towed vehicle charging system.

Good time to get that multimeter out and test that black wire

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#5 Citesan

Citesan
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 07:23 AM

Thanks. I'll get to work.

#6 tractors1

tractors1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 424 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:ex-LD17, Escape21 now
  • Interests:Scuba diving, old tractors, woodworking

Posted 19 March 2016 - 08:00 AM

New tow vehicle......

When I bought my Tacoma new even though it had the manufacturers tow package, the dealer had to plug a relay into the fuse box for that electrical to work. Maybe a 30 second task.

The relay turns off with the ignition so the trailer doesn't drain the tow vehicle battery when parked.

• Joe Z likes this

ex-owner LD17, Escape 21 now
2013 Tacoma V6 4dr 4wd long bed

Need a widget to hold your stuff?

Don't drill holes!
http://www.rvwidgetworks.com

#7 Citesan

Citesan
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 01:10 PM

Thank yall so much for your help.  Here is what happened.
First checked fuse.  No fuse. Replaced fuse.  Hooray for that information.  Thanks.
2.  Unplugged Casita and turned on lots of stuff and let the battery run down to 11ish.
3.  Checked voltage with towing vehicle on and running.
Interestingly enough no voltage to 12v power, however there was voltage to right turn and stop, brake controller Output but not to tail and Running lights, reverse lights, or left turn and stop.  All the lights were working and the emergency lights.  No one dropped by while I did this so I could not see the reverse lights or stop lights.
4.  Connected towing vehicle to Casita and turned on the towing vehicle lights and left it running in park and everything worked (except of course I could not check stop and reverse lights .  The battery began charging and is up to 12.3. 
5. could not find the auto reset circuit breaker.  Enclosed is a photo (hopefully I'll figure out how to do that).
I have not gone directly to the wires.  I tested the metal prongs where I plug in the Casita. 

I still think something is wrong.  Do yall?
Is this the auto reset circuit breaker?

I'm not sure how to insert a picture.  The picture shows on the preview but only shows attachment here.

IMG_1692.JPG

#8 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 04:22 PM

Yes, that's it.

2014 17' Casita SD

#9 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
  • Interests:Member Since
    Jan 21 2005
  • Trailer Name:AZ Snowball

Posted 19 March 2016 - 04:22 PM

All you should be concerned with right now is that black hot wire..... unplug the casita and start the tow vehicle ... now test the black hot wire on the tow vehicle and ground the tester to one of the bumper bolts and see if it registers 13+ volts while running. If yes then plug in the casita and go back by the battery and test the input on top of the battery and the voltage reading there should be very close to that reading you got at the rear of the tow vehicle while running.

You can also test that inline fuse you show in the picture...... one side is "In" voltage and the other side is "Out" voltage..... if they are the same that inline fuse is working. If not it's shot.

Not sure how old your battery is but that could not be taking a charge and an inexpensive cell tester "Hydrometer" will tell you the battery condition

http://www.amazon.co..._=sr_1_6&sr=8-6

That's your next step

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#10 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 583 posts
  • Local time: 01:54 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, and yoga.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 20 March 2016 - 05:43 AM

Something I noticed the last time I connected the electrical hook-up from the Casita to my tow vehicle is that in spite of the "tongue in groove" connection to make sure your wires are connected to the right ones between the two vehicles, if I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing I could get the two to connect being 1/2" off so the connections weren't lined up correctly. This would have negatively impacted the signal lights, etc. but it is something I discovered about myself recently. Now I am much more careful to make sure that they connection is lined up correctly before departing.

Toddy

#11 Citesan

Citesan
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 06:45 AM

Thanks again. Back to the Casita today. I really appreciate yall's help. Y'all are smarter than the mechanics I consulted at Toyota and rv mechanics in Macon Ga and Cape Canaveral, Fl and here in NC.
  • Wally Z likes this

#12 Citesan

Citesan
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 07:01 AM

The relay IS shot. Where can I buy a new one? After this storm passes I'll do more outside voltage testing. I have an 7 pin connector for my RV and a 4 pin connector for my boat. Would this cause a problem?

#13 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 08:35 AM

The 4 pin shouldn't be a problem for the 7 pin assuming it was wired properly.  The 7 pin uses 4 of the same wires as the 4 pin for turn signals and brake lights.  The 7 pin has the 12vdc for battery charging, backup light, and trailer brake wires in addition.  When I replaced my tow vehicle 7 pin I got one that has LED test lights as part of the plug.  Before that I had a 7 pin tester that would plug in for quick and easy checks of the TV side of the connection.

http://www.etrailer....CFQEGaQodfK0Pwg

http://www.amazon.co...n led test plug

A 12vdc circuit tester like this is very handy also.  Great for 12vdc easy trouble shooting. You just hook up alligator clip to ground and touch probe to 12vdc connections/wires. It will light up if voltage is there.

http://www.amazon.co..._=sr_1_4&sr=8-4

Edited by Wally Z, 20 March 2016 - 08:50 AM.

2014 17' Casita SD

#14 Citesan

Citesan
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 04:21 PM

Thanks. I've ordered more products.

#15 Citesan

Citesan
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 03:07 PM

OK guys. My test light came just a few minutes ago. Tested the towing vehicle and apparently the 12 v is where the back up lights should be. So I guess I have some resplicing to do. I'll keep y'all in touch. Thanks so much for all your help.