99 replies to this topic

#91 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,420 posts
  • Local time: 12:00 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 23 May 2019 - 02:56 PM

Jerrybob, it looks "brand new" after your handy work and love was poured into the restoration. 

Is that a 100 -150 gallon tank?

Did you send Butler Mfg some photos? They might get a kick out of having some of their history on display in the  :P PNW.

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#92 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,010 posts
  • Local time: 10:00 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:25 AM

Jerrybob, it looks "brand new" after your handy work and love was poured into the restoration. 

Is that a 100 -150 gallon tank?

Did you send Butler Mfg some photos? They might get a kick out of having some of their history on display in the  :P PNW.

Clover.....thanks.  The tank is actually 250 gallons.  I actually traded a 900 gallon (triple tank) for this smaller one.  The 900 gallon was huge and was just too big for our museum. I did send Butler some pics....have not heard back from them at this time.  These vehicles have so much history.....wish they could talk.   Enjoy your summer....safe travels.   

#93 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:05 PM

900 gallons, WOW! that is massive. 7500 lbs of kerosene plus the weight of the wagon. A draft horse or two could pull that rolling weight easily, however I hope they have a good "set" brake, especially if pulling in hilly country.

Do they have any baffles inside to keep the liquid from sloshing around reducing the potential of tumping over with sudden changes of direction or speed?

Edited by clover, 24 May 2019 - 12:05 PM.

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#94 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 07:27 AM

900 gallons, WOW! that is massive. 7500 lbs of kerosene plus the weight of the wagon. A draft horse or two could pull that rolling weight easily, however I hope they have a good "set" brake, especially if pulling in hilly country.

Do they have any baffles inside to keep the liquid from sloshing around reducing the potential of tumping over with sudden changes of direction or speed?

No baffles....the big 900 gallon tanker had three separate compartments....one for kerosene...one for gasoline and one for fuel oil.  It had three spigots in the rear to dispense the fuel.  Our smaller wagon has only one spigot for kerosene only.  You're right about the horses....a couple of draft horses would have no problem pulling the weight.  They moved slow...3 or 4 miles per hour tops.  These big tankers had big brakes....and often locked the rear wheels when going down a hill....some used drag shoes to slide down the hill. Drivers had to really know what they were doing.  Accidents with horse drawn vehicles were pretty common back in the day.  Statistically...it was much more dangerous to ride in a horse drawn vehicle in the 1890's then it is to ride in a car today....lot's more accidents and deaths.          

• Meadowlark likes this

#95 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,898 posts
  • Local time: 09:00 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 01 June 2019 - 08:13 PM

Clover, should you ever make it up here to the Carwash state (although a case can be made that y'all in TX have been getting ALLLLLL of the rain we usually get in summer), you have to go to Jerrybob's museum.

Now let me state...he didn't ask me, pay me or even hint that I should recommend his museum. And to be bluntly honest, the time I went there, I expected to be a bit bored. He doesn't have real horses, and vehicular museums  have always, in the past, been boring to me. For me, it's got to wiggle, whinny,  or have fur for me to be interested.

But JBob's museum is incredible. I was astounded at all the different vehicles he has, that folks used, and some of his restored vehicles are plain ol' gorgeous. And fun........I could have a lot of fun with his chuck wagon...if I didn't have my Casita, I could seriously see using the chuck wagon instead..(well....maybe not,although the chuck wagon WAS Air conditioned.) And I truly admire his expertise at restoration. Every piece in the museum has been restored to the nth degree.

As for horse drawn vehicle accidents...sad to say, they still happen, in Amish and Mennonite Country. Last summer I was in Michigan and there's a growing Amish community there. We saw the aftermath of where some well to do spoiled brat in a way too fast car passed against the double yellow line, and hit a horse drawn carriage-killed the horse and the driver, injured his two kids....and from what I gather, Daddy Deep Pockets managed to get the charges reduced from vehicular homicide to reckless driving.

• Jerrybob likes this

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#96 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 08:20 AM

Meadowlark.....ah shucks....you're making me blush!  Thanks so much for the comments....these vehicles are my passion.....love their history and bringing them back to life.....I wish they could talk.   Hope you make it back down someday.....probably have at least 10 vehicles you haven't seen.   You're all invited if in the area....be safe out there....have fun in those Casitas!!!

Edited by Jerrybob, 02 June 2019 - 12:35 PM.

#97 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 02:40 PM

JerryBob & Meadowlark

I'd love to get to that part of the country. Finding time in the next year or two will be difficult. My son will be starting his senior year in high school in August. It will be a very busy year. Hoping to travel more once he gets out of school.

I lived near Amish country in Ohio. Two large communities of Amish was Burton and Wooster. More than once we saw young Amish boys "drag racing" their rigs on the back side of the Burton County Fairgrounds. Once we saw the get stopped and ticketed by the police.

Horse drawn vehicles and danger still exists today in another format that folks choose to partake in. Chuck-wagon races and combined driving events. The National Chuck-wagon Races in Clinton, Arkansas on Labor Day weekend and those held at the Calgary Stampede in Alberta. They are both worth going to see.

I was a "monitor" in a combined driving event for the cross country portion put on by the Morgan Horse Association, here in Texas. I had wished I asked, in advance, what exactly was my responsibility and location of the role. The monitor is in the horse drawn vehicle with the driver to keep track of times and any rules infractions, also help if you have a wreck. My driver was a client with a "two in hand" Haflinger team. They go insanely fast through the obstacles, rivers, mud bogs, fixed in concrete railroad ties/phone poles that are tight quarters, etc. A few rigs would come in with heavy damage and need to be fixed and cleaned for the next days driven dressage and appointments judging. Fast & Fun!

https://www.youtube....h?v=OWLrB2t8AKo

• Jerrybob likes this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD

#98 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 09:00 PM

Clover...that's a great video...thanks for sharing.  As for danger.....I always remember the words of the guy who taught me to drive....he said...."You're going to love this but remember....when things go bad....they go really bad and really fast!"  Seen a couple of bad accidents over the years....not pretty.  Hardly drive anymore....too busy restoring vehicles.  Just putting the final touches on a 1890's running gear which was used for logging a long time ago.  Will soon start work on a 1895 horse drawn crop duster.....only one I've seen in person...very unique.  Hope you make it our this way in a few years....would love to show you our collection.  

• Meadowlark likes this

#99 Smokymtgirl03

Smokymtgirl03
  • Casita Club Member
  • 56 posts
  • Local time: 01:00 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2000 Spirit Deluxe 17ft
  • Interests:Working on #2, a 1997 16 Ft Freedom Deluxe now that Annie is finished. Camping,Fly Fishing, Hiking, Paddling (Canoe and Kayak),Pretty much anything outside...
  • Trailer Name:Raggedy Annie and #2

Posted 04 June 2019 - 12:18 PM

I loved the video, Clover.  I remember learning how to work a team of mules as a kid.  I used to pretend that Mandy, a sorrel mare mule of my Grandfather's, was a fancy horse, and wash her, polish her hooves, and braid her tail.  He drew the line at ribbons on her harness.  Looking back, he had a lot of patience with me getting underfoot at the barn, but he did get his fair share of work out of me.

• Meadowlark and Jerrybob like this

#100 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,898 posts
  • Local time: 09:00 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 11 June 2019 - 10:56 AM

I've seen the cross country driving. Holy cow, you would think of driving as a sedate, old lady sport? NO WAY. I wouldn't do it, I'd probably be the one hanging off the back, throwing my weight like I was a human outrigger. You wonder how often someone falls off!!

Many years ago there was a man with a matched team of leopard appaloosa POAs (pony of the Americas) who competed everywhere in driving, i.e Rolex, etc. . Not only did they beat the bigger teams on a routine basis, they looked really good. They were yahoolets go..I think only an anchor would have stopped them.

• Jerrybob likes this

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."