86 replies to this topic

#76 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 760 posts
  • Local time: 09:41 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Kayaking, hunting, woodworker, horse drawn carriage historian and restoration, maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 02 July 2016 - 08:25 AM

Hey all......please don't worry about hijacking the thread.  Like others.....I am enjoying the stories, pictures and videos.  These horses are beautiful.  As far as horse drawn vehicles......please remember....you're all still invited to come see our historic collection......they too are beautiful.  Just closed a deal this morning for four more vehicles coming from Minnesota.....should be here later this month....some will require some work.  So far...it's been a busy summer with visitors and tours.  We've had a few Casita's stop by but not enough......you folks need to get busy! LOL!  Stay safe out there........enjoy your travels!

www.nwcarriagemuseum.org 

I wish I could send you my Studebaker one horse delivery wagon... I never found a correct rear axle nut.

Me too!   Did you contact the folks I recommended?  You should be able to get that nut????

#77 Us burros

Us burros
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,443 posts
  • Local time: 11:41 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 Spirit 17'
  • Interests:Woodworking, photography, birding & travel
  • Casita Club Directory #:1830

Posted 02 July 2016 - 10:10 AM

Hey all......please don't worry about hijacking the thread.  Like others.....I am enjoying the stories, pictures and videos.  These horses are beautiful.  As far as horse drawn vehicles......please remember....you're all still invited to come see our historic collection......they too are beautiful.  Just closed a deal this morning for four more vehicles coming from Minnesota.....should be here later this month....some will require some work.  So far...it's been a busy summer with visitors and tours.  We've had a few Casita's stop by but not enough......you folks need to get busy! LOL!  Stay safe out there........enjoy your travels!

www.nwcarriagemuseum.org 

I wish I could send you my Studebaker one horse delivery wagon... I never found a correct rear axle nut.

Me too!   Did you contact the folks I recommended?  You should be able to get that nut????

We're thinking about visiting our daughter in Spokane in September. Maybe I could pack it away in our luggage. That should stump TSA.

I've had two nuts shipped to me and neither worked. One had a flange and was cupped on the back side that tightened against the wheel hub, therefore tightening itself as the wheel turned forward. The second one was wrong size. Return shipping costs are making it more expensive than it's worth. I have a hex nut that keeps the wheel on, but wished for something nearer the original.

Attached File  P3190005.JPG   107.15KB   0 downloads Like their automobiles, maybe Studebaker was ahead of the times.

• Meadowlark likes this

#78 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,376 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 02 July 2016 - 12:03 PM

And now, Wally, you get what makes us horse folk all crazy about their horses.  That horse was tired at the end, but he kept going. Heck, the RIDER was pooped, too. But did you see his ears? He was gung ho the entire ride. They will try their hearts out for you if they love you, and it is so easy to get that from a horse. When one handles a horse with kindness, patience, gentle handling and affection, (lots of carrots and apples don't hurt, either.), it  is all returned by a loyalty dogs only WISH they could reach.

I've fallen off my horse and instead of him bolting back to the barn where he gets fed and doesn't have to work, he stands there with a look that says, What in the world are you doing down there.  get back on and let's keep going..

• Jerrybob likes this

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"No matter how old I am, I'm always going to want a pony for Christmas."

#79 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 760 posts
  • Interests:Kayaking, hunting, woodworker, horse drawn carriage historian and restoration, maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 03 July 2016 - 08:34 AM

www.nwcarriagemuseum.org 

We're thinking about visiting our daughter in Spokane in September. Maybe I could pack it away in our luggage. That should stump TSA.

I've had two nuts shipped to me and neither worked. One had a flange and was cupped on the back side that tightened against the wheel hub, therefore tightening itself as the wheel turned forward. The second one was wrong size. Return shipping costs are making it more expensive than it's worth. I have a hex nut that keeps the wheel on, but wished for something nearer the original.

attachicon.gifP3190005.JPG Like their automobiles, maybe Studebaker was ahead of the times.

Sending you a private message.

#80 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 760 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 08:44 AM

And now, Wally, you get what makes us horse folk all crazy about their horses.  That horse was tired at the end, but he kept going. Heck, the RIDER was pooped, too. But did you see his ears? He was gung ho the entire ride. They will try their hearts out for you if they love you, and it is so easy to get that from a horse. When one handles a horse with kindness, patience, gentle handling and affection, (lots of carrots and apples don't hurt, either.), it  is all returned by a loyalty dogs only WISH they could reach.

I've fallen off my horse and instead of him bolting back to the barn where he gets fed and doesn't have to work, he stands there with a look that says, What in the world are you doing down there.  get back on and let's keep going..

I agree.......when I was much younger.....I had the same experience with a bar stool! LOL!

• Meadowlark likes this

#81 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,376 posts
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.

Posted 03 July 2016 - 11:29 AM

can't trust them bar stools........

I saw a T shirt that said "I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having."  :wacko:

• Jerrybob likes this

#82 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 03:17 PM

Harold, the thought just hit me............is there a data plate somewhere on the Studebaker? if there's a patent number on the wagon,  you may be able to find a drawing of the original and maybe? maybe? it has a drawing of the axle nut.  I bet there's a patent on it somewhere. If you go to

USPTO.gov (it's a bit klutzy-kind of like patent attorneys and don't ask me how I know about THAT....) with a patent number you might get a copy of the original patent submission. Someone a few years ago scanned in a lot of older patents, but they were bought out by someone else and their efforts stopped.

Google Search-go to More and there should be a patent search-oh wait, I see that it no longer exists.

Not that it will help  you find a nut, but with that data, you might find a machine shop that will build a new one for you. Just have them do it with iron stock...I bet stainless steel willl NOT be aesthetically appealing.

Or..........I wonder if the builders of wagons just used the same hardware on everything...from wagons like yours to manure spreaders. Now you have me looking at old farm equipment. There are no Amish in my neighborhood, but you gotta wonder if those folks might not have something in a barn somewhere in PA or OH.

#83 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts
  • Local time: 10:41 AM
  • Interests:Travel (duh!); bird hunting and bird dogs; flintlock hunting; history; rural life; Irish archeology; lots of other stuff, too.
  • Trailer Name:OTRA
  • Casita Club Directory #:1240

Posted 06 July 2016 - 03:42 PM

"...it is all returned by a loyalty dogs only WISH they could reach."

O, what unadulterated, propagandistic rubbish! Sedition, I say, sedition!

:)
  • Meadowlark and U.S.M.C. Don like this
"OTRA" (On The Road Again)
2003 17' Spirit Deluxe #1240
2004 2500HD Duramax Diesel Crewcab

The Sandhills of 'East Wyoming'

#84 nasa42a

nasa42a
  • Casita Club Member
  • 368 posts
  • Local time: 12:41 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17 SD
  • Interests:Family, Reading, RVing, History..
  • Trailer Name:nasa42a

Posted 07 July 2016 - 06:07 AM

Plainsman......

Oh, my!  Are we in for a kinder, gentler, more literate version of mammal loyalty culture war?

Frank  :rolleyes: 

• Meadowlark likes this

#85 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 760 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 12:03 PM

Harold, the thought just hit me............is there a data plate somewhere on the Studebaker? if there's a patent number on the wagon,  you may be able to find a drawing of the original and maybe? maybe? it has a drawing of the axle nut.  I bet there's a patent on it somewhere. If you go to

USPTO.gov (it's a bit klutzy-kind of like patent attorneys and don't ask me how I know about THAT....) with a patent number you might get a copy of the original patent submission. Someone a few years ago scanned in a lot of older patents, but they were bought out by someone else and their efforts stopped.

Google Search-go to More and there should be a patent search-oh wait, I see that it no longer exists.

Not that it will help  you find a nut, but with that data, you might find a machine shop that will build a new one for you. Just have them do it with iron stock...I bet stainless steel willl NOT be aesthetically appealing.

Or..........I wonder if the builders of wagons just used the same hardware on everything...from wagons like yours to manure spreaders. Now you have me looking at old farm equipment. There are no Amish in my neighborhood, but you gotta wonder if those folks might not have something in a barn somewhere in PA or OH.

I sent Harold a private message with the names of several vendors......I am sure one of them will be able to help.  I have never not been able to find the part I need or have it made.    The nuts were not patented.....only the skeins and boxings.   

• Meadowlark likes this

#86 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,218 posts
  • Local time: 11:41 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 07 July 2016 - 01:59 PM

"...it is all returned by a loyalty dogs only WISH they could reach."

O, what unadulterated, propagandistic rubbish! Sedition, I say, sedition!

:)

Plainsman she was not including the likes of that awful pony experience you had. If you dislike a child give the kid a pony. The smaller the package the nastier that are.

Also you have to taken into account her affliction/addiction/syndrome/malady which is usually much more severe in females. They have some reality distortion. I can see it now that I have not "fallen off the wagon" and back into the "horse crazy" venue for several years. It is much better to "humor" these folks than disagree. It is not unlike trying to reason with an advanced case  of Alzheimer's Dz. 

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#87 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 760 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 09:02 AM

Just went into town which happens to be Hwy 101.......motorhomes and trailers every other vehicle......lots of people out there travelling.  The fun thing.......saw two Casita's!  Best looking trailer out there but....as you all know....I am biased!  We just got back from two days at Fort Worden in Port Townsend Wa........there was one other Casita there with us.  Hope you all are having a good summer.......stop by the museum if you're in the neighborhood.  Safe travels. 

Edited by Jerrybob, 14 July 2016 - 09:02 AM.