86 replies to this topic

#61 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,394 posts
  • Local time: 05:05 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 30 June 2016 - 05:12 PM

God bless you Harold for supporting your Lady(addict) and loven' her despite her insanity! She is a fine looking young lady in the picture and I'm sure she is still the Apple of your eye. 

How many hay burners are you supporting today?

I tried to answer you in a PM, but your box is full.

Oh no! I hope I did not offend you, again?  If i did, I retract whatever it was.

My response were genuine words of praise. No tongue in check or snotty tone of voice. I applaud non-horse family members that support crazies that would the give up everything they own, to hang onto their horses. 

I use the term "hay burners" affectionately for all horses, ponies, donkeys and mules. Cows actually turn burning hay into something useful STEAK!

Reminds me of a joke my young son told me. Superman says to the pig, "what is your super power?" the pig responds, " I turn corn into BACON!"

• Meadowlark likes this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#62 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,801 posts
  • Local time: 02:05 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:31 PM

First post deleted due to operator head space.

Attached Files

Edited by Meadowlark, 30 June 2016 - 06:37 PM.

• Jerrybob likes this

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#63 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,801 posts
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:35 PM

I LOVE 3 day events, especially the cross country. I've watched them come pounding up a hill and the rider saying "slow down you fool, there's plenty of jumps left." A woman in 'my' barn does eventing and the hardest part is keeping her great big Irish Sport Horse from jumping out of his paddock for fun.

But I will never have the courage to actually do it myself.....Attached File  Aspen Farms camping.jpg   122.57KB   0 downloads

I get a little closer than Harold. THis was taken at Aspen Farms, where his lovely daughter competed on her equally lovely grey Arab, Orion. She got very high scores.

#64 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:38 PM

By the way, the horse in the picture is NOT Orion. He was just my next trailer neighbor.

#65 Us burros

Us burros
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,463 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 Spirit 17'
  • Interests:Woodworking, photography, birding & travel
  • Casita Club Directory #:1830

Posted 01 July 2016 - 10:41 AM

With all of this mentioning of cross country competition, how about taking a ride over the 2016 Rolex course?

• clover and Jerrybob like this

#66 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 12:03 PM

INCREDIBLE. Thank you. This is as close as I'll ever get to such a course! Wow........FOUR water jumps? Some of those jumps looked so narrow I thought she'd lose a knee on each upright.

Wow. What a fabulous horse...and rider.

That's a technical course. Holy cats.

Thank you sir!!

#67 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 12:51 PM

that is a long log gallop  :wow: over a tremendous number of visually and physically challenging jumps

show jumpers are wimps compared these eventing horses

l giggled at the big duck jump and the others in the water hazards

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#68 Us burros

Us burros
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,463 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 01:47 PM

Then of course there's the "boring as watching paint dry" dressage. -

But the most amazing is watching the same rider, Elisa Wallace, and her trained mustangs -

"Elisa is highly motivated to represent the United States of America in international competition, and to raise awareness about the thousands of American Mustangs currently in BLM holding facilities,"

OK I'm finished hijacking the thread. Nothing I've posted has much to do with horse drawn vehicles.

#69 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts
  • Local time: 03:05 AM
  • Interests:Travel (duh!); bird hunting and bird dogs; flintlock hunting; history; rural life; Irish archeology; lots of other stuff, too.
  • Trailer Name:OTRA
  • Casita Club Directory #:1240

Posted 01 July 2016 - 03:03 PM

"Nothing I've posted has much to do with horse drawn vehicles."

Doesn't matter. 'Twas an interesting and educational tangent, well worth the trip.
  • Meadowlark likes this
"OTRA" (On The Road Again)
2003 17' Spirit Deluxe #1240
2004 2500HD Duramax Diesel Crewcab

The Sandhills of 'East Wyoming'

#70 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 03:11 PM

I'll make a few comments, and let the hijack go,too... that was a nice dressage test. Most eventers absolutely LOATHE dressage, they say it's too 'anal", too "nitpicky"and I can understand why...until you actually do a dressage test.  Then you realize how important it is to the overall horse. I would never have believed how much dressage has improved ME...my seat, my balance, my harmony with my horse. My horse is a stern schoolmaster: ..if I don't ask right he won't listen...but when he finally gets through to me and I ask the right way, his response is incredible. And so is the feeling I get from actually riding a horse, rather than merely sitting atop one.

I am not boasting, but I ride bareback almost always.Attached File  IMG_3288.JPG   108.99KB   0 downloads

Wow, she is a fabulous rider. Mustangs rock! They are so much aware of themselves and their surroundings. There are two in my barn and they both are wonderful...but it took a long time for their owner to tame them.

#71 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 931 posts
  • Local time: 03:05 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 01 July 2016 - 07:32 PM

Hey all......please don't worry about hijacking the thread.  Like others.....I am enjoying the stories, pictures and videos.  These horses are beautiful.  As far as horse drawn vehicles......please remember....you're all still invited to come see our historic collection......they too are beautiful.  Just closed a deal this morning for four more vehicles coming from Minnesota.....should be here later this month....some will require some work.  So far...it's been a busy summer with visitors and tours.  We've had a few Casita's stop by but not enough......you folks need to get busy! LOL!  Stay safe out there........enjoy your travels!

www.nwcarriagemuseum.org 

#72 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 07:37 PM

"Mustang Make Over" is a big event in this neck of the woods. The trainers get a mustang and have 100 days to get the horse ready for a competition

http://extrememustangmakeover.com/

one of our local guys, Bobby Kerr, has been a crowd favorite with some of his showmanship. We often see him driving around town with is newest mustang project riding on a old flat bed truck. One of the pictures he is at the Exxon station next to the famous Koffee Kup Kafe in Hico. It is a favorite hang out for the old geezers ranches and the like. 

It has spread to several cities across the country. 

When I was in practice the folks that adopted mustangs from the BLM were the last kinda of folks that should have gotten them. Completely green and no horse experience. Some of the mustangs were so in bred that had a lot of undesirable behavior and very poor conformation. AT that time the horses coming out of the High Deserts of Nevada and the NW were far better quality animals. 

I got to help a classmate of mine processes them as they came into Texas in the Panhandle town of Canyon. It kept him gamefully employed and very busy for several years before he went back to feedlot work. 

Attached Files

Edited by clover, 01 July 2016 - 07:38 PM.

• Meadowlark and Jerrybob like this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD

#73 Us burros

Us burros
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,463 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 08:05 PM

Hey all......please don't worry about hijacking the thread.  Like others.....I am enjoying the stories, pictures and videos.  These horses are beautiful.  As far as horse drawn vehicles......please remember....you're all still invited to come see our historic collection......they too are beautiful.  Just closed a deal this morning for four more vehicles coming from Minnesota.....should be here later this month....some will require some work.  So far...it's been a busy summer with visitors and tours.  We've had a few Casita's stop by but not enough......you folks need to get busy! LOL!  Stay safe out there........enjoy your travels!

www.nwcarriagemuseum.org 

I wish I could send you my Studebaker one horse delivery wagon... I never found a correct rear axle nut.

• Meadowlark likes this

#74 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 08:07 AM

Could a machine shop make one for you?

#75 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17ft. Spirit Exlax
  • Interests:Pole Dancers
  • Trailer Name:Casablanca
  • Casita Club Directory #:69

Posted 02 July 2016 - 08:23 AM

Post #65 was amazing. I had tears of joy when they finished.

Edited by Wally Z, 02 July 2016 - 08:25 AM.

2014 17' Casita SD