• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#46 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,801 posts
  • Local time: 02:34 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:20 PM

:o  a day without horses is like a day without sunshine!

• Jerrybob likes this

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#47 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 931 posts
  • Local time: 03:34 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 29 June 2016 - 09:02 PM

:o  a day without horses is like a day without sunshine!

Agreed.....although I would add my dogs and wife to that statement as well.......life is good!!!! 

• Meadowlark likes this

#48 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Travel (duh!); bird hunting and bird dogs; flintlock hunting; history; rural life; Irish archeology; lots of other stuff, too.
  • Trailer Name:OTRA
  • Casita Club Directory #:1240

Posted 30 June 2016 - 03:40 AM

Being an iggerunt philistine I can do without horses. I cannot do without dogs. Since they can't open cans or cook up ground beef stew they can'r do without me either. So I guess we're even. :)
  • Meadowlark and Jerrybob like this
"OTRA" (On The Road Again)
2003 17' Spirit Deluxe #1240
2004 2500HD Duramax Diesel Crewcab

The Sandhills of 'East Wyoming'

#49 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,394 posts
  • Local time: 05:34 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:23 AM

Being an iggerunt philistine I can do without horses. 

You don't understand. Meadowlark :blink:  has a very strong and expensive addiction. Researchers are investigating and even think it might be a neurological development disorder if one is exposed to Equus caballus at an early age. It does have some risk of being contagious if you hang around with these types of folks too often.It is worse than a Cocaine addiction. At least when you go to sleep the spending money is slowed. However when you sleep owning horse the spending can accelerate. That is they are either eating, trying to figure out how to hurt themselves (even if in a rubber room) or looking for a place to die (aka colic). Entire Equine Veterinary Careers are built around these truths. LOL!

There is some research on developing a vaccine for equis crazidus overloadus, they even think they have found the genetic marker on the carrier gene. I suffered with this from the age of 2 until 48. What snapped me out of it was a birth of a son. Although he almost caught the long term version from me. Youth Ranch Rodeos and roping until he was 10, when his interests changed.

• Meadowlark likes this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#50 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,801 posts
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:14 AM

I am laughing..................clover, you are making it sound like this addiction is a bad thing????

OK. I admit it I am in full scale denial. I like being horse crazy and don't you dare come at me with a vaccine.

Whaddya mean you snapped out of it. Snapped out of it? Girl. Once your son discovers that girls do NOT have cooties, it's all over for you, Mom,  (I say this gently) until he's into his late 20's so.................come back, come baaaaaaaaaaaaaack to the Horse Side.  Admit it.......what doesn't feel better than a rolling  canter on a bright sunny morning?? That instant response to just the touch of a leg? That throaty nicker when you come into the barn with an apple?

#51 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Travel (duh!); bird hunting and bird dogs; flintlock hunting; history; rural life; Irish archeology; lots of other stuff, too.

Posted 30 June 2016 - 10:46 AM

A cowboy uncle gave me a Shetland when I was three, over my mother's strenuous objections. Any possible such horsey addiction was thereby cured. That cute, lovable, little pony was the meanest critter that ever drew breath, even once running away with me onto what then, in those days, passed for a 'major highway.' I had a few lapses after that along the way, but generally I was ingrained with the knowledge that at least some of the species bore a particularly malignant gene or two and that they somehow seemed to gravitate to me. I now live in 'working horse country'— ranch country. I ride an UTV with no regrets and not the teeniest twinge of guilt. (And with no equine vet bills, either.) :)

#52 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 11:40 AM

Plainsman, Shetland ponies may appear to be domesticated animals, but I can assure you, they are no more domesticated than your typical grizzly bear. They are evil little critters that have a panda quotient of 8 but woe be unto you if they figure you out for a novice.

seriously, the problem with Shetland ponies is that they cannot be trained by your typical horse trainer,who is normally a full grown adult. We just grow too big for them to carry us. The person who is selling a well trained, mannerly pony (of any breeding, be it Shetland, Welsh, etc) can usually name her own price for it, they are that rare.

An aquaintance of mine, Manda, lives in Texas and does endurance rides on a pony. Manda is just a little bit but she is a horseman who understands ponies. Her pony, A Pint of Paint was fabulous. 

Any of us horse nuts can tell you stories about ponies just like yours. So don't feel badly that you gave up on the species. You are merely demonstrating that you have more common sense than us horse nuts.

#53 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 11:47 AM

give a kid a  Shetland is like giving a kid a pit bull with hooves, they all have an "attitude" until they hit about 25 years of age with one foot in the grave. 

better to give a kid a gentle horse or a "big pony" that is probably acutally a small horse.

Bubba and my pup below. He was a big pony from Colorado Ranch Horse stock. Every Youth Rodeo we went too someone wanted to purchase him. Winston got the to the point if someone new came walking towards he he would say "he is NOT for sale"!

Attached Files

• Plainsman, Meadowlark and Jerrybob like this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#54 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:01 PM

He's a doll and so is your boy.

#55 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:04 PM

What a great picture!

#56 Us burros

Us burros
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,463 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 Spirit 17'
  • Interests:Woodworking, photography, birding & travel
  • Casita Club Directory #:1830

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:26 PM

I have to comment and I believe I am qualified. I've been married to an addict for 53+ plus years. I knew about the addiction long before I married her. She caught the "bug" at thirteen and bought her first horse when fifteen.

Attached File  at 15.jpg   56.71KB   0 downloads

So, after all these wonderful years I've concluded:

1. Horses aren't the smartest animals.

2. Persons with the addiction are less smart.

3. But the least smart creature is the one who becomes the spouse of an addict.

Thank goodness the vaccine worked and I haven't caught the "bug." Somebody has to be free enough from the actual equine contact chores to build the barn and fences, maintain the pastures and repair what the four-legged animals can destroy.

• Plainsman, Meadowlark and Jerrybob like this

#57 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 01:52 PM

God bless you Harold for supporting your Lady(addict) and loven' her despite her insanity! She is a fine looking young lady in the picture and I'm sure she is still the Apple of your eye. 

How many hay burners are you supporting today?

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD

#58 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 03:08 PM

OK, Harold, FESS UP. You are also a top notch, fiendishly inventive eventing course designer and builder. (for the non horsey type, eventing is where people go about leventy seven miles an hour atop a horse, jumping huge ditches filled with water, over redwood logs, and through gullies (with jumps at the bottom) that you would be afraid to let your dog wander into.Attached File  cross country.JPG   77.57KB   0 downloads

Edited by Meadowlark, 30 June 2016 - 03:10 PM.

#59 Us burros

Us burros
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,463 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 03:13 PM

God bless you Harold for supporting your Lady(addict) and loven' her despite her insanity! She is a fine looking young lady in the picture and I'm sure she is still the Apple of your eye. 

How many hay burners are you supporting today?

I tried to answer you in a PM, but your box is full.

#60 Us burros

Us burros
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,463 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 03:22 PM

OK, Harold, FESS UP. You are also a top notch, fiendishly inventive eventing course designer and builder. (for the non horsey type, eventing is where people go about leventy seven miles an hour atop a horse, jumping huge ditches filled with water, over redwood logs, and through gullies (with jumps at the bottom) that you would be afraid to let your dog wander into.

Oh yes, I've now built jumps and complete CC courses for three generations, my wife, my daughters and my granddaughter, plus for a local three day event.

And, I'm still being dragged to events in pouring rain, to watch flying horses jump over ridiculous obstacles.

Attached File  IMG_0327.jpg   109.11KB   0 downloads  Rolex 4/25/15

But, I make sure to not let our Casita get too close to those stinking horse trailers...

Attached File  GA & AL - April 2009 (202).JPG   112.26KB   0 downloads  Atlanta April '09

Edited by Us burros, 30 June 2016 - 03:31 PM.

• Meadowlark and Jerrybob like this