86 replies to this topic

#16 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 738 posts
  • Local time: 08:19 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Kayaking, hunting, woodworker, horse drawn carriage historian and restoration, maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:07 PM

You are right, Clover, Raymond isn't QUITE in my backyard but it is about a two hour drive.  Willapa Bay is VERY nice, and if you like clams/oysters, that's the place to go!

Correct me if I'm wrong, Jerrybob, because it's been a very long time since I took that route: but if one is planning on driving north from Astoria (OR) to Raymond, there are NO gas stations between the two. I know this because one time me, my now ex,  and several of our friends rode our motorcycles from Astoria to Raymond and ONLY because I had 'fat bobs"..five gallon tanks, did I not run out of gas. All the rest had smaller tanks and had to stop! As it was, I was on fumes! I filled my tank, bought a five gallon can with fuel and then ran the gas back down to my smaller tanked friends.

I WILL give you a PM when we head down there, Jerrybob. We have been casting about, thinking of where we can take a short trip once we get Grus Egg out of winter storage. We were thinking of heading inland but heck, we both love the coast. I'm getting the itchies to go camping. Combining camping, clams, and horse related items makes it a win win win situation!

Meadowlark........Astoria is about 50 miles away from Raymond.  There are gas stations in Naselle and Long Beach but there is about a 40 mile stretch before you come to South Bend where there are no stations.  South Bend and Raymond have several places to get gas.  We do a lot of shopping in the Astoria/Warrenton area and the drive is beautiful.....takes about an hour.  Already starting to see lots of trailers and motorhomes on Hwy 101......gonna be a busy tourist season.  BTW.....if you do run out of gas.....give me a call.....I'll send our 1888 stagecoach down to pick you up!  Looking forward to your visit......Safe travels!!    

• Meadowlark likes this

#17 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 738 posts
  • Interests:Kayaking, hunting, woodworker, horse drawn carriage historian and restoration, maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 09 March 2016 - 12:18 PM

I am told we currently have two Casita's in our parking lot today.......hope they are enjoying our museum.  We were supposed to leave for Calif. on Monday to see kids and grandkids.  Instead....I fell off a ladder last Friday and severely broke my arm and will have a plate put in later this week.  This will put a damper on carriage restorations and Casita travel for 6-8 weeks I am told.  I guess there will be a lot of personal tours at the museum for awhile......oh well!   

#18 oregonlavender

oregonlavender
  • Casita Club Member
  • 133 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:FD 2014 16'
  • Interests:Gardening
    Casita-ing

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:14 PM

Jerrybob, if the weather cooperates I may be there Friday. Rain is no problem but high winds are not fun. I hope to have a chance to visit your museum. I am very sorry about your arm. That will gum up the works for awhile, for sure.
Susan
Susan and Sunshine (a rare purebred brown dog)

#19 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 738 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 08:56 PM

Jerrybob, if the weather cooperates I may be there Friday. Rain is no problem but high winds are not fun. I hope to have a chance to visit your museum. I am very sorry about your arm. That will gum up the works for awhile, for sure.
Susan

Thanks Susan......that wind is really blowing right now......lots of trees down......lots of travel warnings.......gusts pushing 100mph on a few mountain tops.  If you're thinking this Friday......I will not be there due to surgery.....but museum will be open 10 to 4. Our staff can show you around. Winds are supposed to subside by morning. Sorry I won't get to meet you.......I am sure you will love the museum.  Safe travels. 

#20 koi-kid

koi-kid
  • Casita Club Member
  • 14 posts
  • Local time: 10:19 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2010 FD 17'
  • Interests:Fine Woodworking, Ham Radio,Vintage Volkswagen & Vintage BMW M/C, Photography,gardening and many more.

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:09 PM

Jerry  Took a look at your video tour of the Carriage museum & it looks like a 1st class operation and you have done a lot of work. But if it's something you really enjoy it's all worth it.

But this I bet sure cuts into you travel time!

Marsh 

#21 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,319 posts
  • Local time: 07:19 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 24 June 2016 - 02:52 PM

Hey, Jerrybob, how's the arm healing?

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"I saw what you did."-Karma

#22 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Travel (duh!); bird hunting and bird dogs; flintlock hunting; history; rural life; Irish archeology; lots of other stuff, too.
  • Trailer Name:OTRA
  • Casita Club Directory #:1240

Posted 24 June 2016 - 06:54 PM

My dad used to tell about learning to drive when he was eight or nine. By 'drive' he meant taking his grandmother into town in her buggy. So much changed during his lifetime.
  • Jerrybob likes this
"OTRA" (On The Road Again)
2003 17' Spirit Deluxe #1240
2004 2500HD Duramax Diesel Crewcab

The Sandhills of 'East Wyoming'

#23 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 738 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 08:24 AM

Jerry  Took a look at your video tour of the Carriage museum & it looks like a 1st class operation and you have done a lot of work. But if it's something you really enjoy it's all worth it.

But this I bet sure cuts into you travel time!

Marsh 

Thanks Marsh for having a look. These vehicles have become my passion and it does cut into our travel time a bit.  When we do travel......I rarely pass up the opportunity to check out a horse drawn vehicle.  In August I will get away for a few days.....going down to a ranch in Oregon and will get to drive a mule team and wagon.  Fun stuff!

#24 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 738 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 08:27 AM

Hey, Jerrybob, how's the arm healing?

Thanks for asking.  It's doing better. Cast is off and pins were removed three weeks ago from wrist.  I have a plate in my arm which will stay in.  Starting to use it a lot more.....doing some therapy.  My wife yells at me daily for doing to much........I just can't sit still.  I only go up on ladders when she is not home....LOL!    

• Meadowlark likes this

#25 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 738 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 08:31 AM

My dad used to tell about learning to drive when he was eight or nine. By 'drive' he meant taking his grandmother into town in her buggy. So much changed during his lifetime.

So much has changed.  Yesterday....an older gentleman visiting the museum told me he remembered riding in his grandpa's ice wagon in St, Louis........talk about yesterday!!! 

• Plainsman likes this

#26 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,319 posts
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.

Posted 26 June 2016 - 08:32 AM

Unless she reads this forum, Jerry, your secret is safe with me! I'm like you...a most impatient patient.

• Jerrybob likes this

#27 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Travel (duh!); bird hunting and bird dogs; flintlock hunting; history; rural life; Irish archeology; lots of other stuff, too.

Posted 26 June 2016 - 01:44 PM

So much has changed.  Yesterday....an older gentleman visiting the museum told me he remembered riding in his grandpa's ice wagon in St, Louis........talk about yesterday!!!

As a kid in New Orleans I remember the 'ice man.' My grandmother had two big rooming houses on Canal Street. The ice man's horse drawn wagon wold come up the street slowly as he delivered big blocks of ice to almost every house. (These were the days of the REAL 'ice boxes!) The horse knew the route and he also seemed to know how many blocks went to each house. As the ice man left with the last block thrown up onto the thick leather pad on his shoulder the horse would start slowly to the next house. I think watching that horse at an early age helped to give me a great appreciation for the intelligence of our animal partners.

Edited by Plainsman, 26 June 2016 - 01:45 PM.

• Meadowlark and Jerrybob like this

#28 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 03:45 PM

I had the misfortune of growing up in Detroit, where the only horses were under the hoods of cars...............save one. There was an alley that ran behind my grandmother's house and once a week the 'sheeny'. would come by. ..I am not certain what the term meant, although to my contemporary ear,  it sounds like an ethnic or racist slur. The sheeny drove his horse drawn wagon behind the houses, looking for stuff to (what we call now) recycle. I remember him to be a small swarthy white man and his horse to be a old grey horse. I had an ear for hoofbeats and the minute I heard them I'd be out the door, no matter the weather, running to pet the horse. It drove my parents crazy but...when you're born horse crazy, you do what you have to satisfy the addiction.

still horse crazy after all these years...................

• Jerrybob likes this

#29 Plainsman

Plainsman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 05:41 PM

Sheeny is a term for a Jew. Nasty, but common in the 'old days.'
  • Meadowlark likes this

#30 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 738 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 09:06 AM

I had the misfortune of growing up in Detroit, where the only horses were under the hoods of cars...............save one. There was an alley that ran behind my grandmother's house and once a week the 'sheeny'. would come by. ..I am not certain what the term meant, although to my contemporary ear,  it sounds like an ethnic or racist slur. The sheeny drove his horse drawn wagon behind the houses, looking for stuff to (what we call now) recycle. I remember him to be a small swarthy white man and his horse to be a old grey horse. I had an ear for hoofbeats and the minute I heard them I'd be out the door, no matter the weather, running to pet the horse. It drove my parents crazy but...when you're born horse crazy, you do what you have to satisfy the addiction.

still horse crazy after all these years...................

A fun fact I share on some of our tours.....back in 1895.....they say there were 25 million horses in our country....today....it is estimated we have a little over 4 million horses.  In 1895......they say there were 250,000 horses on the streets of New York City in any 24 hour period and they use to throw most of the manure into the surrounding rivers.  When they were leaving the horse drawn era and moving to horseless carriages.......they said the new horseless carriages would be the "solution to pollution!"  That was their theory anyways! 

Edited by Jerrybob, 27 June 2016 - 09:06 AM.

• Meadowlark likes this