• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 760 posts
  • Local time: 09:29 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Kayaking, hunting, woodworker, horse drawn carriage historian and restoration, maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 01 March 2016 - 10:53 AM

Many of you already know.....I restore horse drawn vehicles....most from the 19th century.  When we're not out in the Casita......I am usually working on a carriage, wagon or sleigh.  My wife and I run the Northwest Carriage Museum here in Washington.  The vehicles we have here in the museum have become my passion and I enjoy their remarkable history.   Several members have asked me to post some pictures.  Instead....I am posting our website below.  You can see many of our vehicles under "Our Collection."  There is also a new youtube video on the right that provides a nice video tour of our museum. We have been told we have one of the finest collections in the country. If you are ever in the area while travelling in your Casita......stop by for a visit....would love to show you around.  Safe travels to all......enjoy!

www.nwcarriagemuseum.org

Jerry   

• Carol Christensen, Leehman Wexlin, clover and 1 other like this

#2 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17ft. Spirit Exlax
  • Interests:Pole Dancers
  • Trailer Name:Casablanca
  • Casita Club Directory #:69

Posted 01 March 2016 - 11:13 AM

Will be sure to check out the link.  Have you given any thought to converting the Casita to a horse drawn egg?  How many horses do you think it would take to pull the Casita?

2014 17' Casita SD

#3 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17ft. Spirit Exlax
  • Interests:Pole Dancers
  • Trailer Name:Casablanca
  • Casita Club Directory #:69

Posted 01 March 2016 - 11:19 AM

Very impressive museum.

2014 17' Casita SD

#4 oregonlavender

oregonlavender
  • Casita Club Member
  • 134 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:FD 2014 16'
  • Interests:Gardening
    Casita-ing

Posted 01 March 2016 - 12:10 PM

Hmm, I think I will come visit in August. I am looking forward to seeing the museum.
  • Jerrybob likes this
Susan and Sunshine (a rare purebred brown dog)

#5 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,218 posts
  • Local time: 11:29 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 01 March 2016 - 01:38 PM

JerryBob

Thanks for sharing.

Very impressive restorations, you have remarkable skills and dedication.

Nice to see these restored and appreciated.

How and where did you pickup these skills?

Have you ever been to the museum at the Kentucky Horse Park? They have an interesting and large collection of horse drawn vehicles.

I grew up in Ohio near one of the larges Amish Communities. My mother has a small collection of horse drawn buggies/wagons. She would have Amish folks work on the restorations. She had a "doctors carriage, buck board, 2 seat cutter and a governess basket carriage. She sold them all when my parents relocated to Texas. 

Hope to get to your neck of the woods within the next 4 years, traveling to the North West then pushing on to Alaska is on my bucket list. Your museum will be added to my "places to see" list.

Clover

• Meadowlark and U.S.M.C. Don like this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#6 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 760 posts
  • Interests:Kayaking, hunting, woodworker, horse drawn carriage historian and restoration, maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 01 March 2016 - 04:07 PM

Will be sure to check out the link.  Have you given any thought to converting the Casita to a horse drawn egg?  How many horses do you think it would take to pull the Casita?

Couple of good Belgians or Clydesdales would do the trick......would take a little longer to get to the campsite but it sure would be fun!!!!

Thanks for the comments.

• Meadowlark likes this

#7 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 760 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 04:08 PM

Hmm, I think I will come visit in August. I am looking forward to seeing the museum.

Please do.....call us in advance......will try to be there to give you a tour!

• oregonlavender likes this

#8 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 760 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 04:26 PM

JerryBob

Thanks for sharing.

Very impressive restorations, you have remarkable skills and dedication.

Nice to see these restored and appreciated.

How and where did you pickup these skills?

Have you ever been to the museum at the Kentucky Horse Park? They have an interesting and large collection of horse drawn vehicles.

I grew up in Ohio near one of the larges Amish Communities. My mother has a small collection of horse drawn buggies/wagons. She would have Amish folks work on the restorations. She had a "doctors carriage, buck board, 2 seat cutter and a governess basket carriage. She sold them all when my parents relocated to Texas. 

Hope to get to your neck of the woods within the next 4 years, traveling to the North West then pushing on to Alaska is on my bucket list. Your museum will be added to my "places to see" list.

Clover

You're welcome......hope you make it out someday.  I've been a woodworker for many years.  The horse drawn thing started about 12 years ago.  I didn't do all the vehicles in the museum but maintain them and do all the new acquisitions. I have enough contacts all over the country and Canada which allow me to acquire almost any parts I need. Just today.....I received back  a redone leather dash board I had sent to an Amish craftsman back in Ohio. This was for an 1890 buggy.  At the end of April.......we are getting an original chuckwagon built on a late 1890 Springfield running gear.....it will be quite a display.

I have not been to the Kentucky Horse Park but have been to many carriage museums.  If I ever get back that way.....I will be sure to visit.  Sounds like your Mom had a few beauties.  I love all these old vehicles and never tire of looking at them......if only they could talk! 

Thanks for the comments......safe travels.        

#9 borderbrae

borderbrae
  • Casita Club Member (c)
  • 1,009 posts
  • Local time: 12:29 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2000 17' SD
  • Interests:Travel, photography

Posted 01 March 2016 - 05:26 PM

JerryBob, this will go into my list of places to visit next summer for sure. Thanks for sharing the link, what a wonderful collection. 

Jean
2000 SD 17'
2011 Silverado w/Prodigy BC
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much (and take lots of photos along the way)
www.jeanclarkphotography.com
www.borderbrae.wordpress.com

#10 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 760 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 05:42 PM

JerryBob, this will go into my list of places to visit next summer for sure. Thanks for sharing the link, what a wonderful collection. 

That's great Jean......would love to show you the museum......I see you like photography.....bring that camera......lots of opportunities!  Safe travels!

#11 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,376 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:00 AM

Wow, that is a LOVELY museum...first class! We'll get out there some time soon.

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"No matter how old I am, I'm always going to want a pony for Christmas."

#12 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 760 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 10:08 AM

Wow, that is a LOVELY museum...first class! We'll get out there some time soon.

Would love to meet you Meadowlark........if you call in advance I will try to be there to show you around. Safe travels! 

• Meadowlark likes this

#13 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,218 posts
  • Local time: 11:29 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 02 March 2016 - 10:18 AM

Meadowlark this is darn near in your backyard...........at least compared to how far away it would be for me. 

This museum is the kind of "stops & visits" we like to find often off the beaten path. Traveling for 9 years with my young son I have gotten to see a lot of places I would have otherwise missed. I often use www.roadsideamerica.com to find these kinds of places. I looked up Raymond, WA and found Willapa Searport Museum and The Town of Flat Metal People but nothing on the Carriage Museum. I submitted it via their "tip" page with the details off of the museums website. Hope they include this jewel so more folks can be made aware of this wonderful collection.

FYI there is also a phone app for Roadside America

Clover & her pup

• Meadowlark, Jerrybob and U.S.M.C. Don like this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#14 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 760 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:42 AM

Meadowlark this is darn near in your backyard...........at least compared to how far away it would be for me. 

This museum is the kind of "stops & visits" we like to find often off the beaten path. Traveling for 9 years with my young son I have gotten to see a lot of places I would have otherwise missed. I often use www.roadsideamerica.com to find these kinds of places. I looked up Raymond, WA and found Willapa Searport Museum and The Town of Flat Metal People but nothing on the Carriage Museum. I submitted it via their "tip" page with the details off of the museums website. Hope they include this jewel so more folks can be made aware of this wonderful collection.

FYI there is also a phone app for Roadside America

Clover & her pup

Clover.....thanks for the headsup.  Never heard of Roadside America....my wife is going to check on it as well.  Our metal folks number over 200......they were done by 3 artists several years back....they are very cool.  The Seaport Museum is right next door......we know them well and refer visitors there all the time. We are in various magazines, newspapers, visitor guides, on TV etc......don't know how we missed this one.  Thanks again.    

#15 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,376 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 02 March 2016 - 01:25 PM

You are right, Clover, Raymond isn't QUITE in my backyard but it is about a two hour drive.  Willapa Bay is VERY nice, and if you like clams/oysters, that's the place to go!

Correct me if I'm wrong, Jerrybob, because it's been a very long time since I took that route: but if one is planning on driving north from Astoria (OR) to Raymond, there are NO gas stations between the two. I know this because one time me, my now ex,  and several of our friends rode our motorcycles from Astoria to Raymond and ONLY because I had 'fat bobs"..five gallon tanks, did I not run out of gas. All the rest had smaller tanks and had to stop! As it was, I was on fumes! I filled my tank, bought a five gallon can with fuel and then ran the gas back down to my smaller tanked friends.

I WILL give you a PM when we head down there, Jerrybob. We have been casting about, thinking of where we can take a short trip once we get Grus Egg out of winter storage. We were thinking of heading inland but heck, we both love the coast. I'm getting the itchies to go camping. Combining camping, clams, and horse related items makes it a win win win situation!

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"No matter how old I am, I'm always going to want a pony for Christmas."