#16 Louise

Louise
  • Casita Club Member
  • 87 posts
  • Local time: 06:53 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:13' Patriot (1998)
  • Trailer Name:Lolita Casita

Posted 17 September 2016 - 04:31 PM

Sorry, I should have said, did NOT have a water pump!!!! There I go again confusing people!
  • MGD likes this
Louise & Rich
Petaluma, CA
13' Lolita Casita Patriot
2006 Toyota Highlander

#17 Louise

Louise
  • Casita Club Member
  • 87 posts
  • Local time: 06:53 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:13' Patriot (1998)
  • Trailer Name:Lolita Casita

Posted 18 September 2016 - 09:32 AM

Sorry, I should have said, did NOT have a water pump!!!! There I go again confusing people!
Louise & Rich
Petaluma, CA
13' Lolita Casita Patriot
2006 Toyota Highlander

#18 PeanutCamper

PeanutCamper
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 08:53 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Spirit Deluxe

Posted 09 May 2018 - 12:02 PM

I am wondering what is meant by "nasty water tank". We are fairly new owner's 17' SD and I noticed when looking at the water level in the fresh water tank that it looks like what could possibly be mold inside the tank? When the tank was empty it was visible as dark looking shapes on the inner surface. When we filled it with fresh water, the dark shapes weren't visible. Could this be mold? Is the tank able to be accessed to be cleaned? is replacement a possibility? We did the whole winterization set-up and then disinfected with bleach. After this is when I noticed it. 

#19 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,447 posts
  • Local time: 07:53 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:43 AM

I am wondering what is meant by "nasty water tank". We are fairly new owner's 17' SD and I noticed when looking at the water level in the fresh water tank that it looks like what could possibly be mold inside the tank? When the tank was empty it was visible as dark looking shapes on the inner surface. When we filled it with fresh water, the dark shapes weren't visible. Could this be mold? Is the tank able to be accessed to be cleaned? is replacement a possibility? We did the whole winterization set-up and then disinfected with bleach. After this is when I noticed it. 

Yes it can be mold or algae. Many folks, myself included, "bleach" the water systems 2 or more times a year. That is putting a prescribed amount of bleach in the fresh water tank then filling the tank to capacity. Running the water taps (bathroom sink, shower & toilet, kitchen sink, outside shower) until you smell the bleach water coming through.Then letting it set for a period of time. I let my set overnight other "exerts" think you only need to let it set for a couple of minutes. Next drain the system completely. Refill the fresh water tank with fresh water, flush the lines until you don't smell anymore bleach. 

I am among the group that never drinks or uses the water from the fresh water tank for cooking. We bring several gallons of fresh water from home in recycled juice bottles for coffee, the dogs and cooking. 

Some have put the marine hatches on the top of the water tank so they can view the bottom and physically clean the tank out. It is just a little bit tricky to get those installed properly so they don't leak. Also there is issues of over filling a modified tank that can lead to a BIG leak inside your Casita. Since we boondock more than we stay at developed campgrounds, I tend to "overfill" the fresh water tank and I am guilty of walking away at the wrong time, over filling the tank. We have survived close to 12 years in our Casita without the need to add the hatch. 

• NASA42 B and PeanutCamper like this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#20 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,447 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:50 AM

here is what it would look like installed

post-4673-0-82098400-1393866975_thumb.jp

• PeanutCamper likes this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#21 PeanutCamper

PeanutCamper
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 08:53 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Spirit Deluxe

Posted 11 May 2018 - 10:44 AM

Thank you, Clover. We did the bleach process when we flushed the antifreeze out after the winter and that is when I noticed the dark stains on the inside of the tank. We let the bleach/water sit for a few hours but I may decide to do it again to be safe. We also don't drink the water from the faucet but I still don't like the idea of mold or algae growing in the water tank. I may look into the marine hatch (?) if I can't resolve the staining in the water tank. Thanks for your advice and for the photo! I was wondering what the marine hatch looked like. New at this :-)

#22 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 591 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, and yoga.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 14 May 2018 - 01:04 PM

How confident are you that the inside of the container you are drinking from is clean when it is filled with water at the factory? Do you think they bleach or disinfect containers before filling them? I suspect they manufacture and fill those plastic containers and bottles as fast as their machines will run. I will drink tap water (EPA regulations) over bottled water (FDA regulations) any day, especially knowing I have sanitized my entire water system with bleach.

Like Clover, I let mine sit with bleach water in them for longer than a few minutes.

Toddy

#23 cottons

cottons
  • Casita Club Member
  • 55 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2015 Independence
  • Trailer Name:Trailer

Posted 14 May 2018 - 06:20 PM

I'm not afraid to use the fresh water tank and plumbing in my trailer.  But when traveling, it will be no safer than your source of water.  It will be no cleaner than the camper who was there before you, or the repairman who was there last.  Watch folks some time when they hook up or disconnect, handling their sewer and water hoses at the same time, dribbling all around.  

I'll take my chances with bottled drinking water.