• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 BillG

BillG
  • Casita Club Member
  • 17 posts
  • Local time: 09:47 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:13'
  • Interests:Reading, bird watching, rock hounding, fishing if I'm hungry, napping
  • Trailer Name:Tumbleweed

Posted 03 February 2016 - 07:20 PM

I have a 2014 Patriot. I have yet to discover a way to check the water level in the fresh water tank. Hoping someone here can give some guidance.

Thanks!

#2 Tombrown

Tombrown
  • Casita Club Member
  • 88 posts
  • Local time: 11:47 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit 17 SD #12415
  • Interests:Picked up our Casita Aug 2014. HE: Retired pilot, Vietnam vet, garage tinkerer, SCUBA diver, sports car enthusiast, RC aircraft and HAM radio hobbyist: KD5ETJ. SHE: exotic plant grower, history buff, SCUBA diver, writer.
  • Trailer Name:Gone Walkabout
  • Casita Club Directory #:14442

Posted 03 February 2016 - 08:09 PM

Not sure about the Patriot but I check my level by opening the access door behind the passenger side tire and noting the level while looking at the side of the plastic tank.
  • SKYTALKER likes this

#3 BillG

BillG
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 17 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:13'
  • Interests:Reading, bird watching, rock hounding, fishing if I'm hungry, napping
  • Trailer Name:Tumbleweed

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:24 PM

Thanks Tombrown, but they no longer put that access door on the Patriot in 2014.

#4 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts
  • Local time: 08:47 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17ft. Spirit Exlax
  • Interests:Pole Dancers
  • Trailer Name:Casablanca
  • Casita Club Directory #:69

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:53 PM

Thanks Tombrown, but they no longer put that access door on the Patriot in 2014.

Sounds like an access door mod in the making.

• DaveT and SKYTALKER like this

2014 17' Casita SD

#5 CC-John

CC-John

Iconoclast

• Rally Organizer
  • 686 posts
  • Local time: 10:47 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Casita 17SD
  • Interests:Classic Fiberglass Boats, Hot Babes, Fine Cigars, & Good Whiskey
  • Trailer Name:No Tell Motel & Cigar Lounge

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:14 AM

You could install a marine deck plate in the side of the bench that covers the water tank, just unscrew the plate when you want to check the water level..

Beckson Deck Plates

Edited by CC-John, 05 February 2016 - 03:45 AM.

CC-John

"I void warranties"

FGRV #1 1973 Century Resorter 16 - Powered by Chrysler LM318 225HP V-8

BOAT PICS

FGRV #2 1978 Chris*Craft 251 Catalina Express - Powered by PCM 383 Chevy V-8 340HP

BOAT PICS

FGRV #3 2007 Casita 17SD - Powered by Onan CampPower 2500LP

CASITA PICS

#6 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,432 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:41 AM

bill, i've considered installing the marine deck plate cc john references, both for checking the water level and for cleaning out the tank itself from above. in addition to the bleach technique recommended by casita, it would allow me to actually scrub the inside of the fresh water tank. haven't actually done it, yet. i can usually guesstimate how much is in there based on my inside water use/shower length, but it would be nice to be able to look and see for sure.

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#7 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 07:53 AM

If anyone has added the deck plate mentioned above, maybe a picture or two would help the OP visualize what and where it goes. I purchased the deck plate to add to the top of my tank but decided I didn't need it.  If I ever do I'll install it then.  We don't use the fresh water from tank for drinking.

• MGD likes this

2014 17' Casita SD

#8 MGD

MGD
  • Casita Club Member
  • 236 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' FD
  • Interests:Eclectic.
  • Trailer Name:Casitaminophen

Posted 04 February 2016 - 09:32 PM

bill, i've considered installing the marine deck plate cc john references, both for checking the water level and for cleaning out the tank itself from above. in addition to the bleach technique recommended by casita, it would allow me to actually scrub the inside of the fresh water tank. haven't actually done it, yet. i can usually guesstimate how much is in there based on my inside water use/shower length, but it would be nice to be able to look and see for sure.

I've done this. You wouldn't believe the amount of crud I vacuumed and wiped out of my tank. I'm cleaning out thoroughly twice per year now. I disinfect with bleach.

#9 MGD

MGD
  • Casita Club Member
  • 236 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 09:33 PM

If anyone has added the deck plate mentioned above, maybe a picture or two would help the OP visualize what and where it goes. I purchased the deck plate to add to the top of my tank but decided I didn't need it.  If I ever do I'll install it then.  We don't use the fresh water from tank for drinking.

I've added the plate, but the Casita is covered. I plan to be at Quartzsite next week and will take pix while I prep for the trip.

• Wally Z likes this

#10 MGD

MGD
  • Casita Club Member
  • 236 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:39 PM

I've added the plate, but the Casita is covered. I plan to be at Quartzsite next week and will take pix while I prep for the trip.

Wally Z, thanks for the like (and the guilt trip that it brought, since I totally forgot to photograph my deck plate). I got back home from Q last night at 10:00.

#11 Louise

Louise
  • Casita Club Member
  • 87 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:13' Patriot (1998)
  • Trailer Name:Lolita Casita

Posted 15 September 2016 - 09:52 AM

Our solution to that nasty tank was to take it out, put a door in on the side of the Casita, and now have access to extra storage space for the stuff we always kept in a plastic bin. We never ever used the tank anyway since it didn't connect to the faucet and you had to go outside to use it from a little push tap which was always breaking.
Louise & Rich
Petaluma, CA
13' Lolita Casita Patriot
2006 Toyota Highlander

#12 Ros M

Ros M
  • Casita Club Member
  • 151 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:none

Posted 15 September 2016 - 01:13 PM

Our solution to that nasty tank was to take it out, put a door in on the side of the Casita, and now have access to extra storage space for the stuff we always kept in a plastic bin. We never ever used the tank anyway since it didn't connect to the faucet and you had to go outside to use it from a little push tap which was always breaking.

I am confused. What tank doesn't connect to what faucet?

#13 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,432 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 15 September 2016 - 02:23 PM

I am confused. What tank doesn't connect to what faucet?

i'm confused as well. my fresh tank connects to my plumbing and i use the water pump to get water from it when i'm boondocking.

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#14 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 04:16 PM

Maybe she didn't know about the pump? Perhaps that year didn't have pumps. I remember the old manual hand pumps in campers when I was a kid. They actually work pretty good. Not sure what she's talking about either.

2014 17' Casita SD

#15 Louise

Louise
  • Casita Club Member
  • 87 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:13' Patriot (1998)
  • Trailer Name:Lolita Casita

Posted 17 September 2016 - 10:07 AM

Just to clarify any confusion which I may have caused:
A water pump!!!! What water pump!!!! Not in our old Casita, which was a very basic one (bought used), which did have a water pump and also came with an ice box (which dripped down outside!), not a frig. The fresh water tank only had a spigot on the outside of the trailer, which was in constant need of repair. [Yes, we did put in a 3-way frig.]
Louise & Rich
Petaluma, CA
13' Lolita Casita Patriot
2006 Toyota Highlander