• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 brtravis

brtravis
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 12:56 PM

Posted 29 January 2016 - 06:09 PM

I put my downpayment on a 2015 17'Liberty Deluxe.  I was given a great tour of the plant, and was impressed with the care that goes into every Casita.  I was unsure about the furnace, being that I live in TX!  I was wondering if a heater buddy might do just as well.

Also I did not get the awning for now.  I have one on my RV, and have had trouble setting it up.  Any thoughts on the tires?

I can see I will have to become a minimalist as very little storage, but I was told some of you have created some great storage ideas.

#2 florida33830

florida33830
  • Casita Club Member
  • 33 posts
  • Local time: 01:56 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty Deluxe 17
  • Interests:Robin likes Technology
    Cindy likes Sewing

Posted 29 January 2016 - 06:29 PM

Congrats on your Casita.

We live in Florida & have the furnace, awning & high lift axle.

I would have opted for one without the furnace, but am SO glad we have it!! We camped last week IN FLORIDA & the temp got in the 30's. We were snug with our furnace singing.

I absolutely love my awning. It is very easy to put up. It really knocks out the heat, just don't use it in high winds.

The high lift axle is nice, especially since all roads that we take the camper on aren't well paved.

Happy trails.

Cindy

#3 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts
  • Local time: 10:56 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17ft. Spirit Exlax
  • Interests:Pole Dancers
  • Trailer Name:Casablanca
  • Casita Club Directory #:69

Posted 29 January 2016 - 06:42 PM

I would recommend the High Lift axle for sure.  I don't have the furnace, but do have the heat strip which does a great job, where I live in Texas.  Many folks use heater buddies, Wave and other alternatives.  You can do a search on this forum and find many options others have used.  I have the canopy but haven't used it yet.  We use a stand alone screened in canopy called the Clam.  Will use the canopy if we ever camp where there isn't a good place to set up the Clam.  The awing will also help with resale value if you ever decide to sell your trailer.  If you should decide later to have an awning added it will probably cost more than the factory installed.

Is Casita still selling 2015 trailers?

2014 17' Casita SD

#4 NASA42 B

NASA42 B
  • Casita Club Member
  • 513 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty 17 Deluxe
  • Interests:Family, Reading, RVing, History, some community service, and my rescue cat named "Alley" at home...
  • Trailer Name:NASA42 - B

Posted 30 January 2016 - 06:46 AM

brtravis.......

A Pennsylvania resident, my RVing is basically done between early April and November.....with the annual exception of a 3-week trip to Florida in late February or March.   My 2007 17SD was purchased used ....and came with no furnace.   I really don't miss it, as a small, fairly quiet ceramic heater with a thermostatic control copes quite well on low heat (not temperature) setting most of the time .  The exception tends to be the northern part of those winter Florida trips, when the high heat setting is needed.    I appreciate the additional cabinet space made available by the absence of the furnace, too.

Different strokes.....

Frank  :rolleyes: 

Edited by nasa42a, 01 February 2016 - 03:39 AM.

• Wally Z likes this

#5 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,435 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 30 January 2016 - 08:54 AM

everyone has an opinion on the furnace/awning and you can read our postings on here. . my casita came without furnace but with awning. if i were ordering a new trailer, i'd get both, as i am now full timing and travelling all over the country. weather and camping sites can be unpredictable. i have a honda 2000 generator mounted at the rear of my trailer and used it extensively last spring/summer to run my small electric heater and the ac later in the summer. it worked well then, but would be nice to have the furnace when camping in cg with generator hours or where generators are prohibited completely.

it doesn't cost that much extra to have these installed at the beginning at the factory but costs quite a bit more to install later when you find you'd like them. there are some alternatives, however, as you've already discovered. there are propane heaters like the wave 3 or big buddy that folks use, but be sure to allow for ventilation when they're being used. folks use the clam or other shelters instead of or along with their awnings. because of the cost to replace a damaged awning, i'd probably buy the clam if my awning is ever destroyed in a storm, but it's nice to shade the fridge and easy to put out/retract so i do use my awning. i always retract it when away from camp and mostly at night before bed, so far so good.

bottom line,for me, i'd get the awning/furnace/ac/bathroom/LED lights/high lift axle/cable ready. the rest you can add later as you learn your camping style. have fun with your casita!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#6 wlknthewoods

wlknthewoods
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 02:56 PM

Posted 30 January 2016 - 12:23 PM

I went back and forth on the furnace when I ordered my 17 Liberty DLX a few months ago.  I finally settled on the furnace, awning, vinyl flooring, the TV antenna, cable hook up and mounted bracket only (will add my own TV) and LED lights.  I did not go with the high lift axle because my tow vehicle is VERY low to the ground.  If I change tow vehicles in the future I can always drop my receiver if needed.  I also did not want the camper any taller over my tow vehicle than I had to so I can lower wind resistance.  Although I may never use the furnace, many of the National Parks campgrounds do not have hook ups and it might come in handy in the northern parks.  If I do have electric I can choose between the AC heat strip and the furnace.  Also, I looked at resale value...If I choose to sell at some point, what will most potential buyers be looking for?

If you just put your down payment on a new unit, it should be a 2016, not a 2015.  I pick mine up on Feb 18 and was told it will be a 2016.

Happy travels,

Judy

#7 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,441 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 30 January 2016 - 02:13 PM

IMHO get the furnace, we camp year round and it gets cold in Texas. If you are never ever going to camp except where you have electric hook ups than a small ceramic heater will keep it more than warm. Fun is severely limited if you a restricted by the need to be tethered to a power pedestal. There are a huge number of wonderful possibilities to explore if you can let go of the power pedestal.

Yes, you can run a cereamic heater on a generator however that is a far less efficient/economical way to heat the Casita if you have no AC. You have a choice buying new vs. buying what is available used.

If economics was a factor IMHO #1get the furnace #2 high lift axle #3 awning. We have all three but didn't get the high lift (leaf springs) until about a year ago and managed for 8 years without it.......but wished we had it years earlier.

The Clam mentioned is a great alternative to the awning. Very easy to deploy in less that five minutes (that includes driving in the stakes)

Good luck

Happy Trails!

• NASA42 B likes this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#8 DeanCHS1980

DeanCHS1980
  • Casita Club Member
  • 14 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Freedom Deluxe
  • Interests:Jogging, grilling, hiking, traveling, and drinking coffee and good beer!

Posted 30 January 2016 - 02:21 PM

Brtravis,

Congrats on the Casita. We do not have the furnace. We bought our Casita used. If I were buying new, I think I would get it. We have an awning and an after market high left from Oribital Machine Work. An awning is a must have for us.

Take care,

Dean
'05 Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe | '09 Kia Borrego V8 2WD

#9 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 590 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, and yoga.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 31 January 2016 - 08:06 AM

You will be surprised at how much storage space the Casita does have. It looks minimal, but when you start packing you will be pleasantly surprised at just how much space there is. I think the key is to move things around until you find their optimal storage space. I get a tickle out of how many things I haul camping thinking I will need them only to drag them back home realizing I don't. I met another Casita owner who has a rule that she does not pack single purpose items. Everything has to have at least two purposes or she doesn't take it. I thought that was kind of an interesting strategy so am trying to incorporate it.

I think Clairemr1 and Wally Z gave the best advice, it is much cheaper to install those items at the factory at time of purchase than pay to have them installed aftermarket. The whole point of buying new is the ability to get exactly what you want and not have to settle by buying used. To me, the awning is a must have in the Texas sun. I can tolerate a lot of heat if I can get out of the sun. An awning will provide you shade even in the bleakest campsites, and it is very easy to roll out and take down.

The heat strip on your AC does a fine job taking the chill out of the air in the mornings, but I don't think you will be happy relying on it for your primary heat source. A portable heater will do the trick, but I think you are going to find that floor space and electrical outlets are a premium, so having another device is one more thing to maneuver around effectively. We have the furnace, and although haven't used it a lot, have been glad to have it. If you start out with the furnace,  you will never miss the space that you would have had without it. I installed a wire shelf under the sink and increased my storage space by 25-30%, so if you are curious and a bit creative, you will learn to come up with solutions to your needs.

Happy Camping!

Toddy

• teacher retired likes this

#10 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,435 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 31 January 2016 - 09:44 AM

you asked whether the wave 3 or buddy heaters would work just as well. as most things in life, there are pros and cons. i always like to know as much as possible and camp awhile before i make decisions. i'm more likely to be satisfied with my choices this way. some of the things to consider:

1. the casita furnace, pros, reliable heat source when boondocking, already properly vented so you can keep windows/vents closed when in use. cons, uses your battery to function, so you'll be left high and dry out there if your battery goes dead and can't be recharged. noisy, my friend complained bitterly about hers when we boondocked together last year. uses quite a bit of propane, expensive initially., not sure how well it functions at altitude. 3 friends in utah this year could not get their furnaces to work but they worked at low elevations in tx before their trip. they had a very cold, miserable time of it.

2. wave 3, pros, reliable heat source, does NOT connect to your battery, so no drain on it whatsoever,silent operation, no noise, sips propane by comparison, cheaper, can be stored anywhere when not in use, saves space inside the trailer, is advertised to work at all elevations without issues, cons, must be used with proper ventilation per the instructions to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.

i'd still advise on a new trailer to get the furnace, but on my used trailer, i'll probably do what a friend suggested over fish dinner last night. i'll warm the trailer with my generator and invest in a good sleeping bag when camped in cgs that have generator hours. then start the generator again when legally allowed. otherwise, when overnighting in a walmart or such, i'll run the generator all night. my camping style is not to sit in a remote cold boondock for days/weeks/months, so this method should work fine for my situation.if things change, i'll probably invest in the wave 3. many friends use it for many years and are very happy with it.

as for tires, i'll probably replace them with the same ones casita put on. they've served me very well since feb 2, 2014 and many many miles.

have fun deciding your options and travelling with your casita.

Edited by clairemr1, 31 January 2016 - 09:53 AM.

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#11 oscarpoll

oscarpoll
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Freedom Deluxe

Posted 01 February 2016 - 05:14 AM

We didnt get the furnace and don't regret it.  We used a small ceramic heater and it keeps that small area very warm;  along with the heat strip it was all we needed.  Granted, we are from the south and have not been to the North Pole, but have camped all over Colorado and we did just fine.  The furnace in my opinion would have made it stuffy as we are not used to gas heat. The storage is more than you think.  I found our limit on towels to be about each 3 nice size bath towels, and 6 hand towels and 6 wash cloths but we reuse ours once then wash so after about a week we wash towels.  I know some might think yuck! but the thirsty towels can handle it and if you're bathed clean, then so what.  It never bothered us.  We have the high suspension axle and it works great with our Tacoma and also the 15 inch tires.  I think it was effortless pulling

#12 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,042 posts
  • Local time: 10:56 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:58 PM

Congrats on the Casita.....you will lov it.   I vote for getting the heater........you never know when you'll be cold....they work well.  As for tires.....the factory tires are adequate.......when it 's time for replacement......many of us prefer Maxxis.  Good luck....safe travels.  

#13 Missouri Jim

Missouri Jim
  • Casita Club Member
  • 63 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Freedom Deluxe 17'
  • Trailer Name:Rita Bonita Casita

Posted 03 February 2016 - 07:31 PM

If you can afford the options you listed then by all means get them.  You will not regret it and won't ever say I wish I didn't have that heater or awning.  I bought my trailer (2011 FD) and it had neither.  I took it within a month down to Rice and had Victor and the boys install both.  I have no regrets and you won't either.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Newbie