• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 No1up

No1up
  • Casita Club Member
  • 35 posts
  • Local time: 04:40 PM

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:31 PM

New to casita and I did not get a walk trough. I'm wondering how to check the water system and safety syste. Also how to check the breaks?

• Linnij likes this

#2 Tombrown

Tombrown
  • Casita Club Member
  • 88 posts
  • Local time: 05:40 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit 17 SD #12415
  • Interests:Picked up our Casita Aug 2014. HE: Retired pilot, Vietnam vet, garage tinkerer, SCUBA diver, sports car enthusiast, RC aircraft and HAM radio hobbyist: KD5ETJ. SHE: exotic plant grower, history buff, SCUBA diver, writer.
  • Trailer Name:Gone Walkabout
  • Casita Club Directory #:14442

Posted 26 January 2016 - 10:31 PM

You have two water systems. An external input and on-board water system.

You can connect city water via a external hose connector on the forward, drivers side of the trailer. Be sure to put a pressure limiter device, 20psi max, between the nose and trailer. This external source will provide water to the shower, tolet, sink and hot water heater(if the bypass is open). The bypass valve is located inside, drivers side, under the aft bench. Access via the side or top.

The on-board water is contained in a water tank located on passenger side, under the aft bench. The filler is outside, on the passenger side of the rear of the trailer. Water from this tank is provided to the sink, shower, tolet and hot water (if bypass is open) by turning on the water pump switch located forward and below the sink.

Safety systems - assuming you mean smoke detector and propane gas detector. Pressing a bottom on each detector will result is a high pitch tone if they are working.

You could check the brakes by jacking the wheels up off the ground and applying the brakes. If the brakes are working the wheels won't turn or will have resistance depending how much brake pressure is applied.

You should have received a booklet with the trailor that is the operating manual. You can dowload a manual from the casitaforum.com.

Edited by Tombrown, 26 January 2016 - 10:41 PM.

• Rob and Laura and Wally Z like this

#3 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,433 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 27 January 2016 - 09:03 AM

if you didn't receive the blue folder containing info on all appliances/systems/how they work/how to set up/how to get road-ready, i'd encourage you to either get it from the factory or down load it asap. there are also several very good youtube videos of victor showing a new owner how everything works on her trailer when she came to pick it up.i read/reread everything several times before i started using my casita to get a general knowledge of it's systems. made it soooo much easier when i was ready to get out on the road and camp a few days later.

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#4 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,435 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 27 January 2016 - 09:44 AM

Casita Industries has a few "official" youtube orientation videos 

https://www.youtube....7MjF3gog/videos

An owner, Donna Leigh Bliss, put together a nice series several years ago when she picked up her Casita

https://www.youtube....ighbliss/videos

Clover

• SKYTALKER, NASA42 B, Wally Z and 1 other like this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#5 flcoxjr

flcoxjr
  • Casita Club Member
  • 214 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2015 Spirit Deluxe 17

Posted 27 January 2016 - 10:15 AM

In addition to the resources mentioned by others, I recommend you get Arizona Eileen's "A-Z Casita Owner's Guide".

http://www.lovemycasita.com/Guide.html

Check the instructions for your brake controller to set the controller up correctly.

Also the brakes on the Casita are not self adjusting like on most cars. The Casita Manual has instructions for periodic adjustments.

• Zimm and Carol&Michael like this

#6 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
  • Local time: 03:40 PM
  • Interests:Member Since
    Jan 21 2005
  • Trailer Name:AZ Snowball

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:58 PM

In addition to the resources mentioned by others, I recommend you get Arizona Eileen's "A-Z Casita Owner's Guide".

http://www.lovemycasita.com/Guide.html

Check the instructions for your brake controller to set the controller up correctly.

Also the brakes on the Casita are not self adjusting like on most cars. The Casita Manual has instructions for periodic adjustments.

Very, Very good Recomendation.

Click on that link and just look Thru all the Table of Contents Links. You will be shocked how much info that CD will give you

Edited by Joe Z, 28 January 2016 - 09:04 PM.

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#7 JimRHuff

JimRHuff
  • Casita Club Member
  • 7 posts
  • Local time: 03:40 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2002 17' Liberty Deluxe
  • Interests:Photography, wilderness, traveling in my Casita,chasing ducks.
  • Trailer Name:Juanita

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:28 PM

Just a small note about checking the electric brakes as suggested by Tom Brown on a previous post where he said to jack up the trailer and apply the brake.  The following applies to any Casita Trailer.  The brakes only operate if the wheels are turning.  If you jack the trailer up and apply the brakes, you can still rotate the wheel.  The best way to check the brakes is while the trailer is rolling.

• Wally Z likes this

#8 Zimm

Zimm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 140 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17 Spirit Deluxe Bunks

Posted 25 February 2017 - 11:48 AM

Buy the A-Z guide, it's well worth the money.  I did the digital download so I can access it from any of my "devices" (iPad, iPhone, laptop).  Not only does it go over every aspect of ownership and every system, it even mentions changes over the model years, which was great since I bought a used one.

Come visit us:  

http://thehandycamper.com