#31 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,419 posts
  • Local time: 07:38 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 27 January 2016 - 10:11 AM

No 1 up

Buying used instead of new, can do a lot of camping with $5500. Plus he might like the larger floor space in that bathroom before the built in cabinet was added in 2013. 

We love our Casita and the fact that they hold their value because of how they are built and easy to maintain. Ours was used (4 years) when we bought it 9 years ago and it still looks new. My 14 year old son wants to know if he inherits the Casita when I "pass on". LOL!

Jonathan I hope Casita keeps turning out these campers for many years to come. They have given a whole lot of folks tons of fun! 

Clover

• CC-John, sandyb12, NASA42 B and 1 other like this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#32 No1up

No1up
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 35 posts
  • Local time: 06:38 AM

Posted 27 January 2016 - 03:52 PM

Plus, it's $16,999 plus tax plus any additions. This once came all decked out. I think the onlything missing was the little shade thing in front of the door. I found I was able to wash the cushions in the washing machine!! Smells nice and clean!

• clover, SKYTALKER, NASA42 B and 2 others like this

#33 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:38 AM

I would not have thought you could have washed the cushions in a washing machine, especially the bigger ones. Did you take off the covers before washing?

There are several folks with Casitas in your neck of the woods and there is a "The Rally in the Valley" near San Benito, TX. The rally is in the fall.  So you might pickup some more ideas/tips from other local Casita folks. 

You can have a blast using your Casita as a gateway to all sorts of activities. It's nice sleeping in your own bed instead of a hotel. 

Happy Trails!

Clover

• sandyb12, NASA42 B and U.S.M.C. Don like this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#34 kootenaigirl

kootenaigirl
  • Casita Club Member
  • 13 posts
  • Local time: 05:38 AM

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:35 PM

Good deal, looks like a nice Casita.
  • sandyb12 likes this

#35 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts
  • Local time: 04:38 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17ft. Spirit Exlax
  • Interests:Pole Dancers
  • Trailer Name:Casablanca
  • Casita Club Directory #:69

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:18 PM

I would not have thought you could have washed the cushions in a washing machine, especially the bigger ones. Did you take off the covers before washing?

There are several folks with Casitas in your neck of the woods and there is a "The Rally in the Valley" near San Benito, TX. The rally is in the fall.  So you might pickup some more ideas/tips from other local Casita folks. 

You can have a blast using your Casita as a gateway to all sorts of activities. It's nice sleeping in your own bed instead of a hotel. 

Happy Trails!

Clover

Do the cushion covers have zippers?  I don't want to go out and look.  Trailer is covered right now. Maybe he's talking about washing the covers.

• sandyb12 likes this

2014 17' Casita SD

#36 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 09:03 AM

Happy Trails!

Clover

Do the cushion covers have zippers?  I don't want to go out and look.  Trailer is covered right now. Maybe he's talking about washing the covers.

My original cushion covers had zippers. I've seen zippers other year models. I assume all will have zippers. 

Clover

• sandyb12 likes this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD

#37 No1up

No1up
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 09:17 AM

I have a newer machine that has a large tub (without the middle agitator) I took off the covers (PAIN!) and washed all but the largest one. The large ones I had to use the tub. The covers washed well! They went from stinky to spring fresh! 

• Wally Z likes this

#38 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 01:08 PM

I have a newer machine that has a large tub (without the middle agitator) I took off the covers (PAIN!) and washed all but the largest one. The large ones I had to use the tub. The covers washed well! They went from stinky to spring fresh! 

My neighbor has one of those. It is one of those high end computerized machines. I used it a few times while I was getting parts to repair my basic, simple, non-computerized machine. I could really put a large load her machine. 

You are really jumping in there and "gettin er dun" with all of the steam cleaning and cushion rehab you've completed. Was it stinky and messy from pets or was the PO just kinda of a less than meticulous camper? We've had ours for 9 years and I've traveled with my young son and two short legged dogs...........we never had a stinky or real dirty Casita inside.

When you go down the path on getting the outside back to shinny luster and not looking chalky.......make a point of searching this forum and the other forums (www.casitaforum.com)  or ( how to use either the earlier mentioned Polyglo (more expensive) or Zep floor finish #3 (wet look) this use to be called Red Max Pro (this us useful for searching process) Zep products are available at Home Depot or Lowe's. The prep prior to applying either product is the same and paying attention to the details will make a huge difference in your success or failure. It can make your Casita look brand new. In view of your efforts and zeal thus far you will be successful at working on the outside. 

FYI several of us had tried using Marine wax or a good car wax after having the Casita buffed out. I had it done professionally by a local Marina guy. It lasted about 6 months and didn't even come close to looking as good as it does with Zep's product.

No product is going to last forever. Keeping it out of the sun is a big factor or keeping the outside finish. Semi-annual or annual additional coats applied will keep it looking good. The first time I applied it lasted about 3 years before I had to strip some off on the top and upper side that was in full sun all of the time. 

Clover

http://www.casitaclub.com/forums/topic/23454-red-maxx-2/

http://www.fiberglas...tell-43004.html

http://www.casitafor...ge__hl__red max

http://www.casitafor...__1#entry130838

• sandyb12 and U.S.M.C. Don like this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD

#39 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,234 posts
  • Local time: 05:38 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 29 January 2016 - 05:00 PM

Was it very difficult to put the clean covers back on the foam cushions?  I would like to wash mine, but I'm afraid I'd never get them back on.  Years ago, in my previous trailer, the cushions were shampooed with an upholstry attachment which worked OK.

Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#40 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 06:31 PM

I have one of those washers.  When I first got it I thought there was no way it could get the clothes clean without that center agitator.  I was wrong, and it works great.  Much quieter for one thing and uses less water.  The matching dryer is also very good.  Made by Samsung.

2014 17' Casita SD

#41 No1up

No1up
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 08:19 PM

I cleaned the outside now, and 3 coats of HOT melted Collinite wax. looks like new!

The cushions are hell to take out, and putting them back in makes taking them out like a walk in the park... but it was worth it.

• Carol Christensen likes this

#42 Wally Z

Wally Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 08:57 AM

I cleaned the outside now, and 3 coats of HOT melted Collinite wax. looks like new!

The cushions are hell to take out, and putting them back in makes taking them out like a walk in the park... but it was worth it.

I don't know about the Casita cushion covers but I have washed other furniture cushion covers in a machine.  I would not put them in the dryer though.  Air drying I believe reduces some of the shrinkage.

2014 17' Casita SD

#43 No1up

No1up
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 01:15 PM

fantastic... I cleaned it all up and now my wife wants to go with me to the work sites... now I need a bigger one! I KID YOU NOT. 

So, I'll be selling this one for what I owe. and now its super clean! lol 

#44 No1up

No1up
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 01:30 PM

Just put it in the classifieds if you guys want to check out the pictures. check out the water beads! lol 5 coats of HOT collinite wax will do that! 

• U.S.M.C. Don likes this

#45 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 01:51 PM

Several folks full-time in a Casita. Some singles and some couples. She doesn't think she can camp in the Casita while on your work sites? Bummer. 

Clover

• sandyb12 and U.S.M.C. Don like this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD