17 replies to this topic

#16 huckleberrybound

huckleberrybound
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 12 posts
  • Local time: 06:52 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17 Spirit Standard
  • Interests:Hiking, arts, writing, reading, naps, family, and good food!
  • Trailer Name:Betty White

Posted 18 January 2016 - 11:09 AM

Claire, Toddy, et. al. - Great, the more the merrier! We are planning to make our order this week. Of course, we will update on delivery timeframe, and I'll probably start a new thread for that :) We'd love to have tons of people join us for our first weekend, that would be a hoot and I'm certain we would learn heaps and heaps of good tips.

Tow vehicle: maybe it's time to start a specific thread on this, but I am asking because I have now received two replies recommending a van. I'm curious what the van offers over a truck with a cap? My adventurous spirit is begging my brain to stick with 4wd options so we can explore a bit further down the dirt roads (without trailer) and I've been keeping my search limited to 4wd options. I am lured by doing a new Transit with a Quigley 4x4 setup, but that's an extra 12k. I'd love to hear more about why folks think a van is a great way to go, and if they have ever been limited by 2wd. I suppose I could always add beefier bumpers courtesy of Aluminess and carry a winch or come-along if 2wd and I do get stuck. Anyway, would love to hear more thoughts. 

Family of 3 + mutt living and traveling full time in their Casita camper named Betty White!

2016 Casita 17 Spirit Standard with lots of upgrades

2016 Ram Power Wagon Tradesman

http://tinyasscamper.com

#17 huckleberrybound

huckleberrybound
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 06:53 AM

Placed our order last week! 

• clairemr1 likes this

Family of 3 + mutt living and traveling full time in their Casita camper named Betty White!

#18 huckleberrybound

huckleberrybound
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 05:28 AM

Wanted to report back here with an update. We picked up our new Casita on September 30, which was a Friday, and promptly drove over to LHC to have Larry help us out with a handful of upgrades. We gave Betty White (our Casita) a little lift, added auto A/C, fitted a propane rack and four BAL jacks, etc. and we feel she's pretty well set up for our needs. I was hesitant when we switched our order from a Spirit Deluxe to a Standard model, but we wanted a space for our daughter that was entirely hers, and the bunk area up front gives her that along with the convenience that we don't have to convert it from side dinette every day. When living so tiny, any bit of personal space can make all the difference in the world. 

If you remember, we came from a 43' diesel pusher, so even though we were used to life on the road, going so tiny has been a big adjustment. Perhaps it goes without saying that giving up a dedicated bathroom has been an even bigger adjustment! That said, I wouldn't change a thing. We've now lived in Betty White for three weeks and are learning new ways every day to be truly content with a tiny space. I big part of that - and one of the biggest reasons we chose to go so tiny in the first place - is spending more time outside. We picked up a Clam screen tent that augments out living space beautifully. 

We are still adjusting, and I believe we will be for some time. Life is much more simple now and we are learning to live with less, and I think that's a valuable lesson in today's world where houses are only getting bigger and bigger while fewer folks are having even fewer kids (haven't researched this, but it certainly seems that way). It's a life choice we've made - admittedly not for everyone - but we are giving Casita life a year to see where it goes. Who knows where the year will take us!

Please feel free to follow along on our blog and respective social media accounts: 

https://www.instagra....tinyasscamper/

https://www.instagra....tinyasscamper/

Link to blog in signature.

For now, I had better get back to work! This software troubleshooting guide will not write itself.

P.S. Hot Toddy - it was so good to meet you in Austin last weekend. I feel terrible for not following up on meeting up once we took delivery (totally spaced), but I'm happy that serendipity saw fit to have our paths cross, and we hope to see you again on down the road!

Edited by huckleberrybound, 25 October 2016 - 06:51 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: full timing, full-timing, spirit deluxe